Lordstown Motors Electric Truck Racing San Felipe 250

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
Has nothing to do with competing with the top racers. Finishing in the time frame is a pipe dream UNLESS you are going to dump $500k+ on the effort to simply finish in time. Kind of like Oshkosh (who didn't, but marketed it anyway like they did) and Ford ( who rolled their non-finisher onto the podium for pictures right before the actual winner in the class they didn't finish in actually finished!) and you are talking about a marketing budget for an international brand. That isn't what a single one of the folks saying they are gonna pull it off next year are. Unless any of you are an Elon Musk in hiding with an off road racing fetish, you're blowing smoke. The cost right now is ridiculous, period. For what amounts to (yes, Big Whitey) a class 11 or 5 unlimited type speed to the finish. (Ask me how I know!). If that were not the case, then we should be seeing most major car manufacturers doing this very thing right now to prove it is not only possible, but not a big deal to do to prove their reliability, range, and performance capabilities. Instead we see human sized remote controlled buggies being raced for 12 minutes, with most not making it for 12 minutes.

I understand what you are saying, but youre wrong bubba. We are going to race, compete, and have full intentions of finishing and winning on a 50k budget including car build, race costs, and tacos.

We would not be able to do that without some help/cooperation/advice from EV West, but that support was earned after Kyle finished the EV course at KOH 2 days after finishing the car.

Youre right, its not a fast car. But if we can average 17.5 mph, we finish. Its limited class racing and its AWESOME.

I think we have enough budget leftover to buy you a taco Martin, see you down there?

Wicked Al

Reaction
if this is the future and the best you can hope for is someone’s going to fall back and start building mythical clean nuclear power to electrify your imagination, because that’s the only real solution to the power needs of the coming switch to electric. what are they doing with the solid nuclear waste at palo verde? .... storing on site in temporary holding 50 miles from downtown Phoenix because there is no good solutions for it? ... This Switch to electric before we have the electricity figured out feels like putting the horse before the cart.
The cart before the horse is what we've been doing with fossil fuels from the beginning. We still don't have fossil fuels worked out. We're humans, we don't think things all the way through, we just start doing things until someone burns a hand, then we improve it. I welcome the day we have all the answers before we plot a course.

Edit: I assumed you meant cart before the horse and not horse before the cart...which would imply the correct way :)

Wicked Al

Reaction
if the strategy for endurance offroad EV racing, is to swap out battery packs, then a better strategy would be to look into primary batteries (i.e. not rechargeable), like Zinc-air. these have much higher energy densities and potentially faster discharge rates. a Zinc air battery would potentially have 3-5 times the capacity of a Tesla battery for the same wright. so, a 150kWh battery is like 440-660lbs, which is equiv. to 15gal.
That's some pretty good energy density. The objective for me isn't just to race, it's to develop a system that could migrate to the market, it needs to be rechargeable.

Wicked Al

Reaction
I understand what you are saying, but youre wrong bubba. We are going to race, compete, and have full intentions of finishing and winning on a 50k budget including car build, race costs, and tacos.

We would not be able to do that without some help/cooperation/advice from EV West, but that support was earned after Kyle finished the EV course at KOH 2 days after finishing the car.

Youre right, its not a fast car. But if we can average 17.5 mph, we finish. Its limited class racing and its AWESOME.

I think we have enough budget leftover to buy you a taco Martin, see you down there?
EV West is going to be a great asset, they do some pretty cool stuff. Congrats on that!

Tube ride

Reaction
F10059CC-5EC7-4B75-9703-EF19D83A97DA.jpeg
EV west Tesla crate motor set up ! 👍🏻Yanker

Bro_Gill

Reaction

Yes Dave, I will be down there and staying at Earl and Maria's. I am not against any effort, but 17.5 miles per hour should not be a legit finish. The rule for DECADES was always based on a 25mph average. And that is a finish. Racing anything other than a 11 or a class 3 took a much higher average to Race. Again, I am not against anyone trying, but it's a RACE, anyone can cruise around slowly and cover miles. Well, probably almost anyone.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
Again Martin, if ANYONE can do it, how come literally NO ONE ever has. Its 20 MPH average but we get the sportsman cutoff.

We have a bit of a problem, Kyles original setup was 4 battery boxes at 190 lbs

The EV West Cells are 3 boxes in the 270 range.

Anyone have a service bed crane to sell?

jon coleman

Reaction
Again Martin, if ANYONE can do it, how come literally NO ONE ever has. Its 20 MPH average but we get the sportsman cutoff.

We have a bit of a problem, Kyles original setup was 4 battery boxes at 190 lbs

The EV West Cells are 3 boxes in the 270 range.

Anyone have a service bed crane to sell?
270???, keep your back straight& Bend the Knees!!!

Big Whitey

Reaction
No. Just like I don't consider a 5 open car averaging 11 car speeds racing either.
So you are saying ANY car, bike, quad or Utv that struggles to make it to the finish due to whatever mishap may have happened to them should not be counted as a actual racer. what was the last race you finished? You are nothing more than a over inflated wind bag keyboard complainer. Get on out there and show all of us how great you are and win something. With all of your knowledge you should be able to overall in your class 11

Bro_Gill

Reaction
No, I am saying that going into a race with the idea that you are going to go so slow that you are not racing, just trying to finish as close to the maximum time allowed is NOT RACING. Struggling to get to a finish after adversity on course is WAY DIFFERENT than planning on running a race at way less than even prerun speeds in stock volkswagens. I am sure that has never been your plan, but it has happened to you. More than once. And I am also saying that marketing ploys that create a 1 and done class for their product is not racing either. By the way, I raced the 1995 Baja 1000 in an 11 car. We finished. And won. At a higher speed than you are thinking. And I would be out there overalling the races if I wasn't waiting for you in the pit so you could finish!

green787

Reaction
This will almost be hilarious watching misinformation believers dive into a new technology...... Can one of you on RDC explain how a 3 phase DC induction motor works??? I built one of the first training rigs years ago, but I understand things you cannot see or touch.....
20210411_091445.jpg

green787

Reaction
Maybe that's too tough of a challenge..... How about just name some of the components on my learnin' board......

Slippery P

Reaction
4CDD9CAD-D53D-46E3-97FB-8D8A1890C2A4.jpeg

Massive amount of programming went down over the last few days.