Lordstown Motors Electric Truck Racing San Felipe 250

Wicked Al

Reaction
Did you feel that??? It was a shift...it was like all of a sudden the intelligence dropped out of the conversations....No...it's Facebook! Noooooooooooo! Of course, it can be humor that I'm not privy to, I'll assume that because if it's anything like FB, I'll suggest some good sound reference material so folks can up their knowledge base a bit, but like FB, it gets ignored and meme-fiction pervades. Time to exit stage right, I'll come back in when good dialogue appears. Cheerio!

jon coleman

Reaction
Did you feel that??? It was a shift...it was like all of a sudden the intelligence dropped out of the conversations....No...it's Facebook! Noooooooooooo! Of course, it can be humor that I'm not privy to, I'll assume that because if it's anything like FB, I'll suggest some good sound reference material so folks can up their knowledge base a bit, but like FB, it gets ignored and meme-fiction pervades. Time to exit stage right, I'll come back in when good dialogue appears. Cheerio!
WA, please post updates on the ev / crosslink project,Pictures !too!, thnx jc

Tube ride

Reaction
0CDAF36A-FE7D-4A08-A116-147D66EE5D0E.jpeg

ElectricYota

Reaction
Man what a great time! From a safety and fun standpoint, the week was a great success for our team. No injuries, tacos, beer, beach and time spent with family and friends is important and we enjoyed all that. From a racing standpoint, we did not achieve an on time finish and that was what we were attempting. The car did well, our projected energy consumption was on point, the team executed the pits well, lots to be be proud of, but we want to come back faster and better.

It all went south at battery swap 4, ~mile 137. We ran out of juice in the car a few hundred yards before pit. During this section, we did stop and pull out #706 that was stuck in the sand, twice. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have been so generous. Perhaps if we hadn't done that, we would have had enough energy to make it to pit. Race and learn. We swapped batteries and got going, less than a mile out of pit the car lost power.

Quickly determined we had popped at least one fuse in each battery, we began the process of replacing them which is time consuming. It involves removing the battery hold down bars and box lids, then determining which fuses are bad with a tester. Once the lids are off the batteries, work slows down to maintain safety. We will not rush high voltage repairs, safety is first throughout our entire effort. We got new fuses installed, only to have them pop immediately. Made the call to have chase bring fresh batteries, which got the car moving. Made it roughly 9 miles where we had the same issue. Towed into pit, decided at that point there was an issue with the high voltage system, one that the team was not comfortable diagnosing at around midnight with minimal tools. We were also really close to where we were staying, and the whole team was together, which added to our decision to withdraw.

We might have damaged the inverter running it on low voltage, causing it to draw higher amps from then on. Or when we installed the first three batteries, if one of them was lower voltage than the other two for some reason, they could have popped fuses that way. There are a few other things we are looking into. Either way, we plan to come back with an improved system, prepared to go faster more reliably.

Heres a pic of the modules in one of the boxes, the fuses are the white cylinders on the right. We will be improving this design.

EV West modules.jpg

The Milestar tires had no flats, Raceline wheels gave no problems. Thanks Team Baker, EV West, Willspecgarage, Dave and everyone else who helped make it happen!

Kyle

BajaFand

Reaction
So we point out that EV tech proved itself to be not even close to being up to the task of finishing a shorter distance desert race, yet because of this you say the intelligence dropped out of the conversation so you’re bailing? How about then come back when the range,speed, and finishing capabilities have drastically improved. Remember your $1M fancy green technology got smoked on video in a straight up drag race by a 60 year old sedan that won this race well within the time limit