Lordstown Motors Electric Truck Racing San Felipe 250

E motorsports

Reaction
In this example, one would already spend 30k annual on fuel.
2 years of that and your proposed solar cost of 50k would have been cheaper. (And don't worry, Tesla makes great battery packs)

Besides that, your proposed cost of 50k is a bit high considering 4kw of panels is $9016 ($2200 federal tax credit brings it to $6800) and a Powerwall is $9500 ($2200 federal tax credit brings it to $7300). 2 sets of panels for 8kw total and 2 Powerwalls would end up costing around 25k installed with the credits.

As far as an 80k car goes....
BRAND NEW Model 3 Long Range can be had for 45k FYI.

New battery for Model 3k costs ~7k and is up to the owner when they want to swap out.
Battery degrades ~10% over 160,000miles. So would hold 80% charge at 320,000 miles (Degraded 20%).
That 15,000 miles/year would take 20 years to reach 300,000 miles. SO double the proposed "10 years for new batterys"

Diesel Passat's were great cars.

So were Geo Metro's
and Toyota Tercel's
and Chevy Sprint's
and Honda Civics

Nowadays, cars have gotten bigger and safer, and more luxurious with more features and options. The closest thing to that now is a base model Honda Civic getting 30/38mpg for 21k which is arguably a good deal.
But will also need oil changes every 10k miles, engine maintenance, etc.
(30 oil changes over 300,000 miles! wow! 60 if you do it every 5k) How much is an oil change?
And you might need some spark plugs and air filters every now and then. And let's not hope you need to do the water pump or head gasket or radiator or spark plug wires or coils/distributor or fuel injectors or fuel pump or fuel filter or MAF sensor....
tesla says bat life expectancy 8 years then warranty is over

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
tesla says bat life expectancy 8 years then warranty is over
They are claiming that using 20k miles a year for 8 years (160,000 miles) and 10% reduction in capacity (As I already stated above)

10% reduction does not mean the battery is trash or junk.

And there is the disposal aspect of all these batteries.......like no plan at all!
No plan? The plan is to recycle/dismantle. You won't see these thrown into dumpsters, trashcans, rivers, or littering the side of the road. They will go to recyclers where they will be processed. (Where does all the used oil/oil filters go from all those oil changes?! 🤪 )

Last edited:

JDDurfey

Reaction
(Where does all the used oil/oil filters go from all those oil changes?! 🤪 )

Every shop I have ever managed or worked at (and when I was self-employed) recycles used oil and filters. The used oil is cleaned, re-cracked, and turned into new motor oil or heating oil. The filters are crushed, squeezing out as much oil as possible and then burned to remove the rest of the oil before being turned into new steel.

We also recycle our coolant. It is used in a variety of applications.

Currently I sell my used oil for $.10 a gallon.

I am all for new innovative ideas, but for the majority of Americans an electric powered vehicle is not viable. And to push electric vehicles in the name of "Green Energy" is laughable. With about 5 minutes of research anyone with internet access will learn that there is just as much of a carbon foot print producing and powering electric vehicles as gas powered vehicles.

green787

Reaction
Every shop I have ever managed or worked at (and when I was self-employed) recycles used oil and filters. The used oil is cleaned, re-cracked, and turned into new motor oil or heating oil. The filters are crushed, squeezing out as much oil as possible and then burned to remove the rest of the oil before being turned into new steel.

I am all for new innovative ideas, but for the majority of Americans an electric powered vehicle is not viable. And to push electric vehicles in the name of "Green Energy" is laughable. With about 5 minutes of research anyone with internet access will learn that there is just as much of a carbon foot print producing and powering electric vehicles as gas powered vehicles.
Automobiles convert 17% of fuel into power..... Stop telling untruths.....

michael.gonzalez

Reaction

So because there is a recycling plan, it is okay? CRAZY!

jon coleman

Reaction
In this example, one would already spend (((((30k annual on fuel.))))
2 years of that and your proposed solar cost of 50k would have been cheaper. (And don't worry, Tesla makes great battery packs)

Besides that, your proposed cost of 50k is a bit high considering 4kw of panels is $9016 ($2200 federal tax credit brings it to $6800) and a Powerwall is $9500 ($2200 federal tax credit brings it to $7300). 2 sets of panels for 8kw total and 2 Powerwalls would end up costing around 25k installed with the credits.

As far as an 80k car goes....
BRAND NEW Model 3 Long Range can be had for 45k FYI.

New battery for Model 3k costs ~7k and is up to the owner when they want to swap out.
Battery degrades ~10% over 160,000miles. So would hold 80% charge at 320,000 miles (Degraded 20%).
That 15,000 miles/year would take 20 years to reach 300,000 miles. SO double the proposed "10 years for new batterys"

Diesel Passat's were great cars.

So were Geo Metro's
and Toyota Tercel's
and Chevy Sprint's
and Honda Civics

Nowadays, cars have gotten bigger and safer, and more luxurious with more features and options. The closest thing to that now is a base model Honda Civic getting 30/38mpg for 21k which is arguably a good deal.
But will also need oil changes every 10k miles, engine maintenance, etc.
(30 oil changes over 300,000 miles! wow! 60 if you do it every 5k) How much is an oil change?
And you might need some spark plugs and air filters every now and then. And let's not hope you need to do the water pump or head gasket or radiator or spark plug wires or coils/distributor or fuel injectors or fuel pump or fuel filter or MAF sensor....
hmmm ,$30000 a year on fuel, maybe by horris's second term...

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
We will be giving them a run for their marketing money. We are supporting Kyle Seggelin in his EV 4runner. EV West has partnered with us to solve the battery problem. We will be carrying 54 KwH of power onboard. Swapping every 45 miles or so. 5 minute pit stops. 6 stops over the courae of the race. Gonna be fun :)
Hell yes! I am excited to see this all go down! Best of luck!

jon coleman

Reaction
We will be giving them a run for their marketing money. We are supporting Kyle Seggelin in his EV 4runner. EV West has partnered with us to solve the battery problem. We will be carrying 54 KwH of power onboard. Swapping every 45 miles or so. 5 minute pit stops. 6 stops over the courae of the race. Gonna be fun :)
whats your min . mph aver.needed to time out?, wOw, if you just finnish under time your media exposure potential is Hugh!, ' BaJa 250 CHAMPION'!!! the posters will say😁( edit, pro tip, make sure co dawg has some spare batterys in his pocket , might be the kicker to make that next check point....

Attachments

• 20210407_095912-1.jpg
    20210407_095912-1.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

ekozy39

Reaction
We wonder why this sport doesn't progress. Competition is good, but pretty sure you're doing this just to piss on their efforts.

Wicked Al

Reaction
I'm working hard to have a vehicle ready for next KOH, expecting excellent performance. Thanks for the EV support!

Tube ride

Reaction
We wonder why this sport doesn't progress. Competition is good, but pretty sure you're doing this just to piss on their efforts.
I don’t think it’s spite. The 4runner was originally built and raced by Dave’s son , they showed up at KOH and made a big story by finishing .

DuaneH

Reaction
They are claiming that using 20k miles a year for 8 years (160,000 miles) and 10% reduction in capacity (As I already stated above)

10% reduction does not mean the battery is trash or junk.

No plan? The plan is to recycle/dismantle. You won't see these thrown into dumpsters, trashcans, rivers, or littering the side of the road. They will go to recyclers where they will be processed. (Where does all the used oil/oil filters go from all those oil changes?! 🤪 )

Where 3 Million Electric Vehicle Batteries Will Go When They Retire​

GM, Toyota and BYD are part of a potential $550 billion industry.

Good article in
Bloomberg Businessweek.....