Losing alignment shims

ryans

Reaction
Any suggestions for hanging on to these... I've tried cut out washers just wide enough to fit over the bolt. I've also put silicon on them to keep em together. Any tricks?
This is on my 94 Toy

JeffS

Reaction
Yikes, this is a pretty common problem on toyotas and you need to replace the bolts that hold the upper control arms to the frame with Grade 8 bolts. If you need allignment shims, figure out what you need and then use grade 8 washers. If you lose alignment shims when prerunning or racing, you WILL break the bolts and lose your upper arm, probably bending shock shafts and other problems. Trust me.. I know.. .and I've seen it happen to plenty of toyotas... even ones that see little dirt.

ryans

Reaction
I don't have a problem putting them on, just keeping them on. It's real sketchy having your braking pull to one side and hearing the clunk as the bolts shift around. I could just picture them snapping under the stress. I'll make sure to get those replaced soon. So you think putting intact washers on as I am replacing the bolts?

dislocated1

Reaction
Kartek has the shims to go between the cross-shaft and the frame and as far as keeping the bolts tight, you may have to drill out the 12mm nut-sert that is part of the frame and run 1/2" Grade-8 or better nut and bolt with loc-tite. I did the same thing with my yota and haven't had a problem in two years------ now if I could only get my frame to quit breaking right behind the shock towers I would be set. Any suggestions??

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
Ditto on the 1/2 inch bolts, washers and locktite for alignment.......as far as the frame cracking goes, I understand that hard bottoming is the culpret, twisting the frame. Plating the inside / outside of the framerails from the motor mount back to the cab mount is the answer.

dislocated1

Reaction
Yeah we welded it up and plated the frame tonight at the shop, turns out the lower a-arm crossmember was broken in half as well. Feels so much better with the frame tied back together in one piece