Lost a Teammate!

firedog

Reaction
It is with a heavy heart that Fire Guys Racing lost a GREAT friend and team member. Gary Helming was returning to his home and family from the Railroad fire as an Air Attack Group Supervisor when an on coming truck blew a front tire that caused it to swerve into his lane causing a head on collision, killing our friend/team member/firefighter. Gary has been a co-driver/Co-owner in the Fire Guys class 11 car as well as a dedicated member of the team doing whatever was needed during the race. He was scheduled to drive a section in the upcoming Baja 1000 race in the JeepSpeed owned by Mark Murrell (fire guys team member). Once you met Gary you wanted to be around him. A quote from another person who knew Gary:

"A few days ago the Santa lucia district and the fire community lost a true legend. Gary was a man that every person would strive to be, his ability to genuinely care about those under and above him was a true gift. Gary Helming never forgot about the little guy from the seasoned firefighter to the rookie first year always taking the time to see how your day was going and having genuine concern for you was an amazing gift he had. I will never forget the railroad fire hearing his voice above us handling business calm and collected as always I will always remember that feeling of being proud to be your local Los Padres resource representing you (boots in the ground) on the ground. Gary was respected and loved by all that knew him and he will truly be missed we are all better human beings for knowing Gary thank you for always being you. God bless you and your family Gary"

If you find it in your heart to help out his wife and 3 kids you can donate here:
Click here to support Support for Gary Helming's Family organized by Kathy Curtis

Attachments

• GHfire.jpg
    GHfire.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 552
  • FHS.jpg
    FHS.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 540
  • cls11.jpg
    cls11.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 535

FIREJK

Reaction
I'm sorry for your loss, I read about in a email I got at the station.Godspeed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FirePig

Reaction
Read about it on wildlandfire.com. RIP brother.

FirePig

Reaction
Was Gary on the Rim Fire?

PAB

40's rock!
Reaction
Much respect, we are all super bummed to hear this. Been thinking about you guys and I look forward to seeing you next week.

Speedy Gonzales

Reaction
Didn't know he was part of the Off Road racing family too. Sorry for your loss, he sounded like a great guy to be around.

Clive Skilton

Reaction
Wow! So sorry to hear about Gary's passing. The Jeepspeed family send their sincere condolences to Gary's family and friends. He will be missed by us all. A great character, motivator and co-driver getting the 1788 Fire Guys Wrangler on the podium at both races he and Mark did this year. Gary is gone to where the good guys go. God bless.

offroadracer516

Reaction
Gary was just an all out COOL guy. Loved chatting with him at the races. He really will be missed.

firedog

Reaction
Wow! So sorry to hear about Gary's passing. The Jeepspeed family send their sincere condolences to Gary's family and friends. He will be missed by us all. A great character, motivator and co-driver getting the 1788 Fire Guys Wrangler on the podium at both races he and Mark did this year. Gary is gone to where the good guys go. God bless.
GHJS.jpg

IRONGOOK

Reaction
So sad to hear. A loss of a hero serving the community. My condolences to his family and the Fire Guys. God speed.

harleys dad

Reaction
Gary was a first class person whos friendly manner will be missed by many, Mark Murrel and Gary bought one of my class 11 cars many years ago and have been my friends ever since. Real sad because he was such a good guy to be around. RIP

johndjmix

Reaction
Sorry for your loss - never got to meet Gary, but as a fellow Colorado desert racer I planned to. Race fast up in the clouds buddy.

--John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

firedog

Reaction
Was Gary on the Rim Fire?

He could've been, I'm not sure. He was all over the place in the summer doing what he loved which was Air Attack in the past few of years. The rim fire was 2013 correct? I never heard him mention it specifically but with as many fires he was on he didn't tell me about them all.

FirePig

Reaction
He could've been, I'm not sure. He was all over the place in the summer doing what he loved which was Air Attack in the past few of years. The rim fire was 2013 correct? I never heard him mention it specifically but with as many fires he was on he didn't tell me about them all.
I was a STL and I think he was one of my DIVS. Not sure but he looks familiar. RIP