Louie Unser engines

Tsmith1962

Reaction
Hey there. My name is max. I’m from Germany. I have a 67 with a louise unser engine inside. Can anyone tell me something about it ? Greats max

His shop was on Raymond st. in Fullerton, ca, right down the street from Larry's Mustangs and the Fender guitar factory.

I was Unser'engine builder in the early part of 1985 and can unequivocally tell you that the guy was a total friend to work for. Everytime he fell off his Hovercart he mf'd me in front of customers and talked to me like a dog.

Louie was the black sheep of the under family because of his MS any they had nothing to do with him.

WhileI was there I built Michael Nesmith's (the Monkeys!!) Class 8 Chevy 30 and he won the 85 Baja 500 race with it. I also built the prototype twin turbo setup for the 84 and up Corvette.

But let it be known that louie Unser didn't "bUIld" diddly squat. It was guys like me who did all of his work, because he couldn't even turn a wrench with his terminal MS.
Rod Builder - I can't tell you how much I can relate. I worked for Louis in 79-81 timeframe, but I was the grunt, shop gofer. His shop was in Santa Ana then. But I think he lived in Fullerton, or Anahiem and then sometime after 1981 moved shop from Santa Ana to closer to his home. I lost track after 1981. But looking back it was like being the bat boy for MLB team.

Louis built nothing and never touched anything, except I do recall him throwing some parts and verbal assaults at me periodically. During that time the guy who did all the work like Rod Builder was Gregg Petersen, and I gladly did all the dirty work for Gregg. he threw things at Gregg too, more often and harder. But it was all worth if because of the experience. I was a teenager

I can say it this way because we knew down deep he sort of loved us and cared, like a drill instructor. He was a good and honest person. He honored his word and trusted. We sometimes would remind him that if Gregg left there is no Engines by Unser. Only Louie, his El Camino and his cart and customers. Then he would be really nice and charming for a long time, repeat cycle .... :0

I remember he had a beautiful family, a daughter with a cute dog

We cut him a lot of slack because of his situation.

Rod Builder - Love ya man

I am proud to have ever been associated with Engines by Unser. I wish I still had my Tshirt

Rock on Rod Builder!

Tsmith1962

Reaction
Hey there. My name is max. I’m from Germany. I have a 67 with a louise unser engine inside. Can anyone tell me something about it ? Greats max
Hi Rod Builder, I worked at a different Unser Shop (not Fullerton) and I will tell you what I know. The sticker looks like on the Valve cover. It says "prepared" by Unser.

Back when I worked at a shop in Santa Ana, if the entire engine block was "Unser" it would say "Engine by Unser" and a tag would be on the block or manifold. IF the engine was only tuned or valve job ( i.e. not a full blown build) it might say "prepared" or tuned.

As you can imagine, everyone wanted to have an "Unser" engine somehow. But his shop was small and as Rob Builder mentioned usually only one or two people. So demand was ALWAYS more than supply. Hard to build that many engines so fast. But he would do a lot of tunings and other things so people could say "Unser" touched my Engine, which he never did.

Max take this for what it is worth and it was 40 years ago. He may be a full Unser build for all I know. Maybe that was the tag he used in Fullerton.
No matter which way, you have something very special and rare. He was a small operation and so very few have such a thing. I know he would be proud to see it live on in your 67