Low budget Toyota IFS lifts

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Currently have a Trailmaster 4" lift on my 86 4runner. It does not provide much wheel travel and the truck sits too high. While I would like to have a Total Chaos / ATS / a arm system that is out of the budget for now. As I see it, my options are:
1. living with the trailmaster and installing shorter bumpstops and upper ball jount wedge (rockstomper kit),
2. swaping to a Rancho lift with upper A arms, or
3. going back to stock and cranking the t-bars.
Already have SAW bars, shock hoops, etc. For a low budget system what would be the best route to take until I will the lottery?

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
I would say just go back to stock and get an upper arm and run dual shocks and you will be set for now. A few of my friends have that and it works not to bad for almost stock.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

ntsqd

Reaction
Almost universally the crawlers go to the shorter bumpstops. I'd do that regardless of your other mods. I'd think the SAW bars will live longer with the added twist than the stock bars could.

Whatever you do, have a good, long look at that steering idler arm. The Moog part is supposed to be better than stock, but most end up gusseting those too. Might talk to Scott @ Rockstomper, see if he's re-creating Drew Persson's old bolt-on gusset or has a similar product. Ask him about what he did on his white truck about the problem.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Marshall

Reaction
I would go back to stock.The rancho upper arm puts the T-bar inboard and rises as it twists. I would say put a few shocks on each corner. You can also get shorter bump stops but make sure they are doing there job and not topping or bottoming out your ball joint. Also don't crank in to much lift or it will ride like crap. If your going more of the rock route, find a old solid axle and swap it in. Downey sells the idler arm gusset also. MW

BlueCoyote

Reaction
The 86 4runner will be for more go - fast - across - the - desert truck . My 84 is the full blow rock krawler.
Already planned on the upgraded idler and some better shocks, shorter bumps. Found a deal on a rancho kit are but if it produces weird geometery, then I will not get it. Need some lift for the 33's, but do not want the height of the trailmaster.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

ntsqd

Reaction
I've seen the Downey part bend. Don't know of a Persson that has. Unfort Drew is no longer making them due to a job change.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

JasonHutter

Reaction
I have had the Rancho kit on my daily driver for about 7 or 8 years and haven't had any problems. I put the rancho kit on with the Downey dual shock kit and some bilstiens. It isn't the coolest truck out there but we needed something to pre-run in and we have beat the hell out of it and it is still kicking. It went to Cabo San Lucas for the Baja 2000 from Colorado and still keeps kickin'.

Jason

Oh yeah, those are 33x10.50R15's

Attachments

• 6-28588-ivanglas6pdb.jpg
    6-28588-ivanglas6pdb.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 273

JasonHutter

Reaction
one more

Attachments

• 6-28589-ivanglas2pd.jpg
    6-28589-ivanglas2pd.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 237

toyoter91

Reaction
you can fit the 33s with just the sway a way torsions..i know mine clear nicely...both 1250s and 1050s laters

-Rob

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I have seen a guy with the rancho kit go through about three sets of arm's. The last set was even plated by someone. They lasted longer but are still cracking.