• Forum membership has its advantages....

Lower shock mount on rear spring under axle

JBR Racing

Hey guys, I'm slowly getting my prerunner back together with the new camburg rear axle. I'm getting new 3.5" 5 tube Kings as well and will be re doing all the shock mounts. Moving them outward as much as possible. The only thing I'm having a hard time finding info on is the optimal lower shock mount. If you're looking at the side of the axle should it be mounted at 12 o'clock position or does leaning them forward to a 10-11 o'clock position help. Also how far off the housing should they be? I've seen mounting tabs 1.5"-7"...
Thanks

Attachments

JBR Racing

From doing some more research and just thinking about it, I believe it doesn't matter to the suspension travel if the shock is mounted in front, above, or behind the axle. The only thing it could help is mounting the shock in front of the axle and a few inches out to help with axle wrap...

Sreidmx

When I was working on mine it made more difference if the angle changed than if the mount was extended.. Some of the bronco guys have a 40 degree angle at bump creating a somewhat digressive curve.. but it works..If you can mount them on top of the axle you cant jam them into a rock that way.. if you have the space to do that.

Fifty

I am about to do this. In order to fit my bypasses on the outside of my frame, I would either need to mount the lower mount in the 7 to 11 o’clock position, and maybe sticking an inch or two off the axle.
I guess I could also mount at the 12 o’clock position. But that will eliminate my ability to continue running a hydro bump. I’d like to run a 3.5 5 tube ( Last tube either for bump or for that much softer ride height valving and keep the hydro bump) I’d like to keep the option to see what ends up being best after testing.

But placement... does it matter? Is 7-11 best to get it outside the frame?

Bert is my name

If under the frame. French bump cans into frame and use pin mount bumps stops. This will leave outside of frame clear to run shocks on top of axle. Use ruff stuff u bolt eliminator to keep bottom of axle as clean as possible.

Fifty

Springs are under frame. Ruff stuff is across the parking lot from forged where we will do the build. So that’s good.
I didn’t think about frenching the bumps. Since I have to cut the old bump can mounts out. They were a threaded can and the construction of the can is bad, you need a pipe wrench to get them to spin.
They are not a good bump anyways. Get what you pay for. Switching to a king bump with funds permit. Bumps, bypasses, brake lines, longer e locker harness and building it all. Money....

gwizz

you will get more travel if you mount them on the front of the axle tube. im assuming a tension shackle too?

gwizz

dont french the bumps. bump them in line with where ever the shocks mount on the tube. pinch the top of the shocks enough so when you flex you dont rub, give more room than you think you need for this too, leafs suck and move around quite a bit.