Lowrance Elite5M

spalind

RDC Crypto
Website
www.nismostuff.blogspot.com
Trying to use this in my truck...I don't get to the desert much (2nd time in a decade) but want the .usr files of the course map for the STORR race on my Elite5M but it says the .usr files are of a format that my GPS is not updated to handle.

I try and go to the Lowrance update page and see the update (10/12/16, 18,200kb in size when uncompressed) and transfer it to my 2GB FAT32 formatted micro SD card...Then put it in the GPS which doesn't auto update with it so I go into the browse files and select this file but it only gives me an option to change its name saying "file format not recognized"??

Am I dead in the water (no pun intended) here or am I doing something wrong? Would love to have the course map on this rather than go the phone/iPad route.

Fourstroker

RDC Crypto
Might need a smaller cacity SD card. The older units don’t like the bigger cards

PaulW

RDC Crypto
Lowrance Elite5M
Are you schooled in how to load .usr and .lcm files? For sure new users have significant difficulty with the instructions.

"File format not recognized" is a clue.
I know that normal Elite 5M modells use file format .usr and .lcm files with no issues. Do you have an late model HDS version that uses different file formats than .usr and .lcm?
Yes it is correct that the sd card must be 2g or less - nothing special. Just what you get off the web for the lowest price. They all work fine without formatting.
BTW you unit came with correct SW. No need for an update until you get files issue resolved.
The only unit I have was an HDS and I had to get a SW update that worked of .usr and .lcm
So I found out that there are many elite 5m models that were sold. Go to your manual and tell me the exact model you have and we can continue with the discussion.

spalind

RDC Crypto
Website
www.nismostuff.blogspot.com
All set. Wasn’t my error or the unit’s. It was the file from the organizers that was bad. They updated the file and it works just fine. Chalk up many wasted productivity cycles I. My attempts to figure out what I was doing wrong...