lowrance gps files to garmim gps?

prerun15

Reaction
Is there anyway to take these usr. files and put them onto a garmin nuvi 205 gps? I found a website that converts the files to a garmin and then I put them on an SD card but it doesnt work when I put it into the GPS. Has anyone else done this? Thanks.

Triaged

Reaction
I use GPSBabel to convert file types. I then open it up with MapSource and use that to put it on the card. Did you just drag/drop the files? How many points did the track have?

prerun15

Reaction
I use GPSBabel to convert file types. I then open it up with MapSource and use that to put it on the card. Did you just drag/drop the files? How many points did the track have?

not exactly sure how many way points were on it but im sure there were a few. i called garmin the other day and they told me that the garmin nuvi 205 cannot look at more than one way point at a time. they also said in order to get mapsource i need to purchase it for 15 bucks. i figured if i could only look at one way point each time then its not worth it. any ideas or disagreements with what they told me? thanks

Triaged

Reaction
I have a hand held (Legend HCx). I didn't know they didn't even send the software with the Nuvi. My Garmin has a limit of 500 points per track however the ACTIVE LOG can hold 10000. It took some searching to figure out that I could put an track of 10000 points from the computer to the GPS only if I named it "ACTIVE LOG". I don't think you can have multiple tracks so you might only have the active log.

wrightracing.net

Reaction
I use to do GPS race maps or a couple teams and the easiest software I found was GPS Trackmaster You can open most formats and then save the file in the format you need.

The program is free for download. Make sure to download the Northamerica map also and install it after you instal the GPS software.

http://www.gpstm.com/

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
I have a hand held (Legend HCx). I didn't know they didn't even send the software with the Nuvi. My Garmin has a limit of 500 points per track however the ACTIVE LOG can hold 10000. It took some searching to figure out that I could put an track of 10000 points from the computer to the GPS only if I named it "ACTIVE LOG". I don't think you can have multiple tracks so you might only have the active log.
You can have ACTIVE LOG 001, ACTIVE LOG 002, etc.

atpalmer

Reaction
I use gps track maker and it will convert files fine. But the nuvi doesn't handle tracks at all , only waypoints and then only one at a time. The Nuvi is perfect for city navigation and has a great database but is nearly useless for offroad.