• Forum membership has its advantages....

Lowrance GPS -Guide

outlaws4x4

Hi can anyone point me in the direction for a guide on how to use the lowance gps for offroad racing applications. Iv just purchased a HDS-7" Carbon as the rules here in Australia have just changed to allow us to use gps to navigate during a race and i am looking to find some info on the best practice for using the gps system most efficiently. Iv had a search around online but if they are not about boating they are about loading pre-made tracks which you purchase.

Thanks
Ash

PaulW

Boat guys use the GPS the same way as land navigators. Load the track and follow it. As you know what the boat vendors are selling is water maps and on water tracks or access which you do not want or need. Instructions boat guys use/follow are the same for everybody, including you.
Here in the US the race promoter provides the track USR file for you to load
Search for a local land $background map$ and load that. However you can just use the GPS with the loaded track without the map by just following the track breadcrumbs.
Interface with other racers to get an old track file to practice with on how to load. Even better download a SCORE track for practice to learn how to load, then delete it and find a local track to load.
Need more instructions than what the owners manual has then download he cheat sheet from PCI Race Radios. That is what we all do and we keep using the cheat sheet. Just keep it handy.
Tip: After you get the promoter track drive it and make you own track with obstacles noted. Then use that track for the race and not the promoter one.
Practice and have fun.

Hi can anyone point me in the direction for a guide on how to use the lowance gps for offroad racing applications. Iv just purchased a HDS-7" Carbon as the rules here in Australia have just changed to allow us to use gps to navigate during a race and i am looking to find some info on the best practice for using the gps system most efficiently. Iv had a search around online but if they are not about boating they are about loading pre-made tracks which you purchase.

Thanks
Ash
Hi Ash,

I am an off-road navigator proficient in the Lowrance GPS specifically the Carbon being my favorite. I just started a GPS school called Waypointnavschool.co check out my website and feel free to email me at esacksnav@gmail.com

Hope to talk to you soon,
Erica Sacks

scottm

Pci has support on their site, click the right 'cheat sheet'

PCI Race Radios