• Forum membership has its advantages....

Lowrance GPS Internal Antenna ????

ACME

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with a Lowrance Elite 5 TI touch screen with the internal antenna mounted in a configuration like this? Bueno/no bueno with the internal antenna? We are doing the Baja 4000 rally and want to upgrade our Elite 5M to touch screen on a ram mount for the event but thinking about a center console for a V2.0 update next year. I'm cheap and hate to spend the money on a 7" if the 5 will work in a console like this down the road...

1545087537663.png

PaulW

Much better to put the thing close to the windshield. Down low with a metal roof will result is possible dropouts, but for just following a track as opposed to making a track your experience would probably be ok. I hate dropouts when making a track. The Lowrance internal antenna is pretty good.
Bigger is always better as is the view from up high to avoid loosing your focus on driving.

while the internal antenna "works"....it will never work as good as an external antenna.

the more sats the GPS sees, the more accurate it is. when you use the internal antenna, especially mounted low like your is....You will NOT have the same reception/signal strength on fringe sats at times. will it work yes. will it work much BETTER with an external antenna? yes.

Also, the 5ti does not have the option to add an external Antenna. If you buy it, make sure the top of the gps ( the internal antenna ) has direct line of site to the sky. Check out the Elite
while the internal antenna "works"....it will never work as good as an external antenna.

the more sats the GPS sees, the more accurate it is. when you use the internal antenna, especially mounted low like your is....You will NOT have the same reception/signal strength on fringe sats at times. will it work yes. will it work much BETTER with an external antenna? yes.
7ti2, 7 Inch, you can add an external antenna and its only $550.

PaulW

My 7" HDS gen2 with only the internal antenna works great in all kinds of conditions and it is not very close to the windshield. My take is the internal antenna is a good design for all the latest Lowrance units. What happens is the geometry of the satellites may be such that the antenna cannot see all possible sats, but the Lowrance is a 16 channel device so a few missing sats is not a real issue. Most often what I see is incorrect elevation as I drive along and that is not a concern for navigation.
Caveat, If you mount the GPS in the bottom of the truck near the floor or under the dash then your performance will be poor unless you spring for the external antenna. IMO, the low mounts you see in some trucks are worthless anyway because the driver cannot see the screen properly anyway.

Speaking of internal antennas-

The Elite 5ti and 7ti have a refresh rate of 2-3 times per second.

The Elite 7ti2 and HDS-7 Live have a refresh rate of 10 times per second ( the same as the Pont 1 external antenna).

Also keep in mind that the newer generations of Lowrance units are more rectangular in shape. A newer 7 inch will be a tad larger than the square 5m/Trophy 5/ Gen2 units. But the new 5 inch units are a ton smaller, take a 5m and chop the top 1/4th off.