• Forum membership has its advantages....

Lowrance Trophy 5M

punchdrunk monkey

Has anyone had problems with the 5M shutting down? I bought this just over a year ago from PCI @pciscott and it has always shut down every once in a while, maybe once a day. Now it shuts down every 5 minutes or so. It's to the point that I can't use it anymore. I've checked the basic stuff (plug/power). Any ideas? It's in a Raptor so no outside weather issues.

pciscott

First thing to check when a unit is having a problem is pull SD card, sometimes a file on the card can make the machine unhappy. Second thing to do is a Hard Reset. Note you will need to back up any trails or files because a hard reset will erase machine.

The Lowrance unit is a computer and when it does not get shut down with the power button it can corrupt cache memory and a hard reset will clear the cache and fix many problems. Turn the unit off and then while holding down + and -, zoom in and zoom out power up machine. Keep the + and - pressed until the unit fully powers up.

If the above does not fix problem then I would check firmware, on PCI FAQ you will find the firmware we recommend and note not always the most current! Sometimes these new firmware updates are intended for the Fish side of Lowrance and do not always work well with the maps we offer.

If none of the above works send the unit into Lowrance or PCI and we will help you get it sent in under warranty.

punchdrunk monkey

@pciscott The reboot seemed to work for the shutting down issue but now it will not recognize any SD cards. I've tried different cards, erased them, put new files on them. Nothing worked.
I install a mini-SD card and if I go to "browse files" it is not reading anything.
Any ideas or things I try to fix it?

y2kbaja

On my 3500c the SD card that I've been using for years was giving me power off issues. I removed the card and it worked fine. Then at the end of the day I was getting "gps module not responding". I have a master power switch for the gps and antenna and tried that several times and it finally came back on. I'm now trying my iPad in the Lowrance position to see if I like it better.

PaulW

Lowrance issues for many models - Sigh
Try a different brand of SD card. I have noticed there is a slight variation in the thickness brand to brand. Maybe that is the issue?
If you have a lot of tracks or a large map (like Murdock) on your SD card you will definitely have issues. The fix is keep Murdock on a stand alone SD and keep your tracks to a minimum on your other SD cards.
Power down before you turn off the master switch will help - sometimres.
Power up with the engine on for higher voltage will help - sometimes.
IMO, GPS module not responding is not related to the above.

Honda48X

Question, I have the same gps and would like it to show how many miles I have driven. Will this unit do it? My pre-runner has no fuel gauge and it will do around 200 miles on a tank. But without knowing how many miles I’m doing, I’m dead in the sand.

Dezertpilot

Question, I have the same gps and would like it to show how many miles I have driven. Will this unit do it? My pre-runner has no fuel gauge and it will do around 200 miles on a tank. But without knowing how many miles I’m doing, I’m dead in the sand.
Not sure about your particular model but up to 2005 I had a Lowrance GPS in my DD/fun runner and I knew how many miles I could usually get out of a tank. I would reset it after every fill up, that being almost 14 years ago id say your unit should definitely be able to do that.

PaulW

I do not have a Trophy. Here is what we do for other units. Display trip distance on your screen.
All my units I have screen display for MPH, altitude, Trip distance, trip time, voltage. There are other choices.
The Trophy manual page14 gives the "Overlay Data" instructions.

Regarding random shutdowns. Follow Pctscott's instructions. Also per Lowrance tech if possible, turn off WAAS. Cannot do it for newer models like HDS. Dont know about Trophy. Check the manual.

Clean the contacts on your SD card or try a new one.

Honda48X

I do not have a Trophy. Here is what we do for other units. Display trip distance on your screen.
All my units I have screen display for MPH, altitude, Trip distance, trip time, voltage. There are other choices.
The Trophy manual page14 gives the "Overlay Data" instructions.

Regarding random shutdowns. Follow Pctscott's instructions. Also per Lowrance tech if possible, turn off WAAS. Cannot do it for newer models like HDS. Dont know about Trophy. Check the manual.

Clean the contacts on your SD card or try a new one.
Thank you PaulW. I will definitely work on getting some mileage showing on the screen.