LS? Engines for buggy

mebuildit

Reaction
Well, it's getting closer to getting an engine for the car. I have seen everything from LS1-LS7's crate engines to a custom built engine. Now I plan on going dry sump but am leaning towards having someone build up a nice solid piece.
I'm leaning towards a LS7 style 427 with aftermarket heads and a forged bottom end. What are some things that come up with these engines? Since I have seen everything from FAST intakes to individual throttle bodies.
What is everyones take on this set up?

Thanks in advance for the input.

-greg

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Keep it simple. I ''heard" that either the pistons or rods on the ls7's are the weak point but I cant see Ti rods being the weak point. Call a few engine builders and pick their brains.

MARXICO

Reaction
Save a bunch of money and Time ,

I have a Fresh 415 SBC All aluminm Brodex block 18degree heads Dyer rods Callies crank Best of everything 750 + HP profesionaly built , Braswell carb billet MSD headers and including compleat dry sump system $15,000 TURN KEY
I have double that into it ,
less than 25 miles on it
Hear it Run !

Mark 760-902-6275

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Thats only about a few grand more than a stock LS7 from GM performance parts. Sounds like a killer deal to me, go for it!!!!

mebuildit

Reaction
Mark, yes that is a good deal on that engine of yours. Although, I would like to use the newer style engine and take advantage of the fuel injection. Now I know that you can change a motor over, but I would like to start with something of a newer generation.
What is the best HP numbers to shoot for in a desert car? My car has an Albins in it, along with some 935cv's. I don't want to overpower it but in the same note, I don't want to be undrepowered either.

Thanks for the help guys.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
The GM Performance Parts LS3 (with the hot cam) is the bargain of the bunch!!!! It has nearly as much power as the LS7 (15-hp less if I remember correctly) and nearly the same torque but is about half the price of the LS7. Look into it. If you are looking for excellent driveablilty and longevity by a factory crate engine then enjoy!!!! GM even has a CPU and wiring kit for transplants than comes complete with the drive by wire throttle and all!

Have fun, hope this helps.

FarrisMotorsports

Reaction
Mark, yes that is a good deal on that engine of yours. Although, I would like to use the newer style engine and take advantage of the fuel injection. Now I know that you can change a motor over, but I would like to start with something of a newer generation.
What is the best HP numbers to shoot for in a desert car? My car has an Albins in it, along with some 935cv's. I don't want to overpower it but in the same note, I don't want to be undrepowered either.

Thanks for the help guys.
Keep it at 600HP and it'll last a loooong time....