• Forum membership has its advantages....

LS Swap in Tundra

5150WS6

Hey guys,
Hoping to get some constructive thoughts and discussion here. I've got a long travel 2010 Tundra. Deavers in back, boxed long travel up front, McNeil fenders, geared, 37's, triple bypass shock and preparing to do a 4 link/full cage on it. I'm really happy with the truck but I have a perfectly good LS1 sitting in my garage waiting to be shoved in something. And I'd love to have it in my prerunner.

Why is it I can't get any decent info on doing this or goods vs bads. Most people I mention it to they just cringe and tell me to keep it all Toyota.

Can maybe some of you guys that know better give me some good feedback on this? I know a swap isn't easy. But the 5.7 in the Tundra now is basically a Chevy motor anyway. So I don't see it being that huge of an ordeal. There are issues that will have to be dealt with I know. Like the throttle body. On the LS it's cable and currently in the truck it's all electronic. Also the computer stuff sort of freaks me out. But I have the donor car here as well. I've got all the computers and harness hardware.....I just need to take off what I need.

The LS is in the process of being built and will hopefully be in the high 500's for HP and should be perfect for dune runs.

Can any of you guys give me some thoughts on a swap vs just calling me crazy? :)

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

bajafox

Accepted
*cringes...

Haha, good luck, Ive seen Tundras get i beams so why not an LS?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
I believe you will be violating the Clean Air Act if you attempt to operate such a combo on a public road in these United States.

Seriously, unless that's a post 2010 LS1, it's definitely a federal violation.

BTW, how is a Toyota 5.7 basically like either a Gen I or Gen II GM 350 cubic inch pushrod V-8? :confused:

5150WS6

Well where I live I'm outside the city limits so I think emissions won't be an issue. so I'm not overly concerned there.

And it was my understanding Toyota bought the use of Chevrolets 5.7l engine and tweaked some things and made it their own. But that's just what I read somewhere. Not certain on that for sure. Just something I remember reading.

bajafox

Accepted
Wouldnt it be easier and more efficient to super charge the Toyota 5.7L? You could probably raise enough by selling all the LS components and motor to pay for it.

Dirty Harry

And it was my understanding Toyota bought the use of Chevrolets 5.7l engine and tweaked some things and made it their own. But that's just what I read somewhere. Not certain on that for sure. Just something I remember reading.
Maybe that is their NASCAR engine? The engine in your Tundra uses dual overhead cams, not pushrods like Chevy V8 engines. I actually prefer the Toyota engine, but that isn't what you were asking.

If you are caging the truck I would just plan to gut the interior and do something like a Fiberworx dash (Full Size OEM Replacement Dash - FiberwerX Off Road Fiberglass), because your dash is going to be lit up like a Christmas tree.

There are tons of parts available to make the LS run (I like MSD's Atomic LS setup Atomic EFI LS - MSD Performance Products | Tech Support: 888-258-3835) but I don't know of any adapters to mate to the Toyota transmission. You said you have the donor car so I would run the transmission that came with the LS engine.

I just think that it is a bad idea because you will be spending a lot of money for something that will make marginally more power and be far less reliable, just by virtue of the fact that it will all be custom instead of factory. And you are starting off with a late model truck that is worth a fair bit of money and has a lot of electronics, not the cheap older vehicles that typically receive LS swaps. It is your truck though, and it sounds like it is an awesome one no matter what you choose to do with it.

bajafox

Accepted
Looks like super chargers are around $6k, one more thing to add on the list of my stock Tundra lol

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
emissions
That's a FEDERAL crime, not a state or city ordinance.

Are your personal ethics such that if you commit a crime but are not apprehended, all is good?

I don't think such a policy will serve you well.

Honda48X

That's a FEDERAL crime, not a state or city ordinance.

Are your personal ethics such that if you commit a crime but are not apprehended, all is good?

I don't think such a policy will serve you well.
What federal crime are you talking about? Would love to know the number.

5150WS6

Yeah I'm thinking I'm going to stick with doing a supercharger. To keep it my daily driver it's just too much of a conversion. And as much as I'd like it to be slid into the Tundra I think an LS 1 conversion would be more of a full dunes runner. Maybe a future project!

So that means I'll be building the crap out of the motor twice as bad as the Tundra would have gotten and keeping it In the Trans Am. Hopefully that doesn't break any federal laws! :) Although the amount of tire smoke I plan to throw into the good ol ozone might!

bajafox

Accepted
Yeah I'm thinking I'm going to stick with doing a supercharger. To keep it my daily driver it's just too much of a conversion. And as much as I'd like it to be slid into the Tundra I think an LS 1 conversion would be more of a full dunes runner. Maybe a future project!

So that means I'll be building the crap out of the motor twice as bad as the Tundra would have gotten and keeping it In the Trans Am. Hopefully that doesn't break any federal laws! :) Although the amount of tire smoke I plan to throw into the good ol ozone might!
Awesome please keep us posted on the super charger project. Would love to see how that goes and what kind of gains you get. Once my Tundra is paid off Im parking it and saving up to build it.

I plan to start mild, bolt on Kings on every corner, Camburg UCAs and Deavers in the back. Hopefully some time down the road go long travel and super charher.

5150WS6

Bajafox---
I've got the long travel set up with Deavers and love it! Well worth doing it! After a supercharger I'm going 4 link with the rear so I'll let you know and make you a smokin deal on the Deavers if you're interested!