• Forum membership has its advantages....

Lug Nuts

esbyota

What lug nuts are you typically running with 5/8-18 studs and a rim such as a Race line, KMC, or Walkers. I can't find anything that fits and have been having trouble getting desert specialties lug nuts which still may or may not work.

FCORR

Brad, I was going to start a thread here too....there are a few of us that are looking for lug nuts like the Desert Specialties ones pictured above. Unfortunately, getting them from DS has been quite a chore, any body else make lug nuts with a similar configuration?

esbyota

I don't know if we need to move this to the general thread and get some more coverage...

esbyota

The standard 1" lug nut for 5/8 studs:

CaptinCrash

sorry for the off topic but what wheels are those

fabnahorse

The Moss Bros make some nice long 5/8 lug nuts that work well with the deep counterbores. I was using the Desert Specialties originally, but the taper angle was not correct and the threads extended to the end of the taper, which left a sharp edge. Easy to dress up, but the "Mossy Nuts" as I call them are primo. Their Gen 2 version has a shoulder so the socket won't touch the wheel. The hex is 1".

FCORR

Price or contact info for the Moss Bros.? My only concern with those nuts, is you said the DS taper angle was wrong, all my wheels are setup to match the DS lug nuts, so mixing and matching the DS and MB lug nuts won't work, correct? Thank you for the info.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
You guys get together and let me know how many you want I'll knock them out on the CNC lathe. I'd like to do at least 1000 to get the cost WAY DOWN. That's only 50 trucks with 5 lugnuts per wheel

esbyota

Contact and price would be awesome. Also how long is the machined down spot? I'm thinking I would need a lug nut around 2-2.5" long.
And my wheels are race line wheels.

As for quanitity I know we are in the area of 200+ at the moment.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Depending on the material you want them made out of and what finish around 80 cents each. I can build them any size shape length you want BUT THEY ALL NEED TO BE THE SAME not 50 of this and 100 of that.

FCORR

Quantity of about 200 sounds right for our current demand...

A toolmaker at my work found the DS lug nuts to have a hardness of about 20 on the Rockwell "C" scale...we couldn't exactly determine material...

The DS lugnuts work perfectly for me, Brad may have other requirements though??? I think the DS lugnuts are just under 1.5" long...

esbyota

I would need them to be a minimum of 2" long to work. Only probably is I need to find a for sure solution before the may 16th race... Shipping from Wy could be an additional problem.

esbyota

AJ, if you can deal with them being a little longer then the ones you have I have money to front the order if we can get them going ASAP. 2.25" long would be perfect for my rims. Fairly certain the taper on my rims is 90 but whatever works is fine with me so long that the lug nut will be 1" hex and 2.25" long. 200 @ 0.80$ each = 160. Roughly 200 total with shipping to AZ. I'll bring them from here to the drive race to you to distribute amoung Adam, Nate, and Gregg??

I just want to make sure the ones you will be machining are going to be of similar grade/strength as the Desert Specialty ones...

FCORR

Brad, $.80 was a 1000 piece price....we need to either get more guys, or we'll have to pay more for a smaller run....typically how it works...

As far as length goes, it doesn't matter as long as the taper is the same and it's a 1" hex and 5/8"-18 threads. These are going to be spares for me, so I don't care as much about appearance...

FCORR

Ok here's the measurements I just took off the DS lugnuts.....

1.363" Overall Length
1" Hex
.96" Diameter (below the hex), 11/32" Length
5/32" Taper Length, 90º Taper

esbyota

Only if you ordered them that way. The only stuff that comes with 90* normally is roundy round stuff. Regular stuff is 60*
Just relying what the rim manufacture told me. However they also told me to run a regular 1" lug nut which there is no chance in hell it would work.

What would the pricing be for an order in the 200 range? I don't see us at the moment getting close to 1000 together...

Giant Geoff

AJ and Escondido Sick Boy, we have 5,000 lb. V8 with 35” tires and we can’t hurt ½’ studs with stock lugs. Your light Toyota’s don’t need 5/8 studs. Trying to find custom lugs sounds like a headache you can avoid.

esbyota

Sure, easy to say when you don't have hubs and axles drilled to 5/8 th already... Re drill my axles and have small studs or deal with the headache of getting the correct lug nut and not worrying about breaking a stud. Yes sir!