• Forum membership has its advantages....

Lug Nuts

Giant Geoff

Sorry.
At least you have some new knowledge for your next truck.

FCORR

Sorry.
At least you have some new knowledge for your next truck.
Haha, very true....thanks for the input Geoff. Having 5/8" studs has been a learning experience, I broke a set of wheel studs before I got the 5/8" studs and I never wanted that to happen again, first time out with the 5/8" studs the lug nuts backed off and I was in the same boat....lol. The DS lugnuts have solved the lug nut problem, only now I can't buy anymore from Desert Specialties...

Giant Geoff

Gotcha, the only time we break the stock ones, is if we don’t torch them the morning of the race or changing a spare and you did not see the dirt stuck to the back of the wheel and comes lose 10 miles down the course and shears all the studs. Heck, a lot of the guys with 5/8 studs would shear off until I told them to switch to a taper acorn lug.

I for got you guys deal with a softer Toyota metal, so maybe press in some American studs on you next truck.

FCORR

I for got you guys deal with a softer Toyota metal, so maybe press in some American studs on you next truck.
Yes, I agree, if I ran with a stock size stud or similar, I would still get some high quality ARP studs or something along those lines...

amerikanmade

I went through all this MONTHS ago and never came up with a solution. I remember partybarge suggesting having the holes in the wheels for the nuts bored out to a larger size. I think the overall diameter it needed to be to fit a 1" socket in was an 1 1/4 or 1 5/16. And don't plan on being able to use an impact socket....

Long story short I don't think most wheels have enough material to bore them out that size.

As far as taper.... my cheap-o Mickey Thompson wheels taper is 60 degree i believe and every 5/8 nut I can find is 45 degree taper. Or visa versa. I could have it mixed up.

The lug nuts on the 1st page look ideal. Or if someone gets a wild hair to make some I'll buy a set. I just called DS Friday and ordered 10. He told me they'd be here today (monday.) I'm not sure the smooth part will be deep enough but if it's not a lot of work on a lathe or even a grinder will round it out just fine. The taper may not match but temp. is just fine. I welded two nuts together and ground down the bottom one as a temporary solution to get the truck home. 5 of the 10 monstrosities I made worked just fine, but after one of them twisted when i tightened it down and consequently destroyed one of my studs... So if you're feeling lucky try that... but beware!

Final solution: Buy a set of walker evans....

Oh, and I was told that it's the offset of the wheel that creates the counter bored situation. Maybe a different offset wheel....

Last edited:

FCORR

amerikanmade, you were able to order lug nuts from DS? Please let me know if you receive them and they appear correct. Maybe I will try contacting Doug again, thank you.

-A.J.

amerikanmade

ya know it was weird when i called him... I called the # off his contact info on the website not the phone # on the home page. I don't know why, but they're different. I'm not even sure if it was Doug that I talked to. From what I hear it's real hit or miss with him. I honestly didn't expect to get that kind of response... I'll post again if I get them and if they work out.... crossing my fingers cause running 5 lug nuts total on 2 wheels makes me nervous!

-J Rock

esbyota

I went through all this MONTHS ago and never came up with a solution. I remember partybarge suggesting having the holes in the wheels for the nuts bored out to a larger size. I think the overall diameter it needed to be to fit a 1" socket in was an 1 1/4 or 1 5/16. And don't plan on being able to use an impact socket....

Long story short I don't think most wheels have enough material to bore them out that size.

As far as taper.... my cheap-o Mickey Thompson wheels taper is 30 degree i believe and every 5/8 nut I can find is 45 degree taper. Or visa versa. I could have it mixed up.

The lug nuts on the 1st page look ideal. Or if someone gets a wild hair to make some I'll buy a set. I just called DS Friday and ordered 10. He told me they'd be here today (monday.) I'm not sure the smooth part will be deep enough but if it's not a lot of work on a lathe or even a grinder will round it out just fine. The taper may not match but temp. is just fine. I welded two nuts together and ground down the bottom one as a temporary solution to get the truck home. 5 of the 10 monstrosities I made worked just fine, but after one of them twisted when i tightened it down and consequently destroyed one of my studs... So if you're feeling lucky try that... but beware!

Final solution: Buy a set of walker evans....

Oh, and I was told that it's the offset of the wheel that creates the counter bored situation. Maybe a different offset wheel....

I'm about ready to bore the wheel out if I can't find anyone to make these. Looking at the corr rims this weekend I saw several that were done this way. Wheel bore out a little along with a thin wall socket shaved down seem to be my only options at this point. I saw my same wheel in a 17 and it did not have anywhere near the same problem. I wish I had machining capabilites and I would just make some and sell them. Seems like a common problem among 15" rims with 5/8 studs.

amerikanmade

I don't think it's so much of a difference in wheel size as is the offset of the wheel and the design. I've got 17's and it's still an issue. I know "Desertspeed" was having the same issue with a set of 17" Robby Gordons, but found some ATX wheels that were good to go... so who knows! It's definitely a pain in the a**. Not fun getting done working on your ride and go to put the wheels on to find out they don't bolt up...

esbyota

Anyone still interested in making these?

amerikanmade

Ok guys so I got the nuts from Doug without too much problem. I ordered them Friday. I was charged Monday. They arrived Wednesday. I can't imagine why they wouldn't work. They're really long. Longer than it looks in his pictures. There's a full inch of the nut to fit inside your wheels. They cost $6 a piece with shipping.

hxckidd

Ok guys so I got the nuts from Doug without too much problem. I ordered them Friday. I was charged Monday. They arrived Wednesday. I can't imagine why they wouldn't work. They're really long. Longer than it looks in his pictures. There's a full inch of the nut to fit inside your wheels. They cost $6 a piece with shipping.
$6 a nut seems a bit steep. His site lists them for like $3-$4 bucks a piece...

desertspeed

$6 a nut seems a bit steep. His site lists them for like $3-$4 bucks a piece...
Cheaper than a new set of wheels, or drilling out your wheels, or any of the other options!!! Standard Speedway 5/8' nuts are around $2 each, so it is not too bad.

FCORR

What's the overall length of the nut? $6 a piece would be hard to swallow, when I know I've paid $3 a piece from Doug...I wonder if they're different?

amerikanmade

They're 2 1/4 inches long. 1 inch smooth, 1 inch hex, and 1/4 bevel. Well I guess expense is relative to how bad you want to bolt your wheels up. There doesn't seem too be many other options.:DP5100088.jpg

P5100089.jpg

FCORR

They're 2 1/4 inches long. 1 inch smooth, 1 inch hex, and 1/4 bevel. Well I guess expense is relative to how bad you want to bolt your wheels up. There doesn't seem too be many other options.:DView attachment 59761

View attachment 59762
Yeah, that's a very good point....those lug nuts look pretty good, zinc plated this time around, is the taper 90º still?

amerikanmade

I could be misunderstanding you, but a 90 degree taper wouldn't be a taper at all. Right? 90 degrees looks like "L". Right angle correct? Half of that would be a 45... which these are. Unfortunately like partybarge said normal street wheels are 60 degree.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
They're 2 1/4 inches long. 1 inch smooth, 1 inch hex, and 1/4 bevel. Well I guess expense is relative to how bad you want to bolt your wheels up. There doesn't seem too be many other options.:DView attachment 59761

View attachment 59762
Most after market wheels have a 60 degree seat, which look about like what is pictured. Maybe it's just the picture, but the seat does not look very wide on the lug nut.
I'd for sure check those a few times the first hundred miles or so with a torque wrench and make sure they are not gauling the wheel, if they are they will never stay tight.

Check out part number 76158HT, second row on the right http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug.nuts.page_09

They're probably only a couple bucks each if they'd work.

If you could use 9/16 studs you could buy anything you want.

amerikanmade

Yeah those would work for someone without counter bored wheels.... the taper would be right though. Places like napa and kartek sell the standard 5/8-18 lug nuts. The only difference between gorilla and napa's is the chrome and taper....

Here are a pair of rigged napa nuts and the DS nut. It's hard to tell in the picture, but it appears that the two nuts have the same taper. However, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong. The napa nuts have a 45. A few months back I compared it with a gorilla 9/16 spline drive nut with a 60. You can see that the napa's aren't seating properly by the wear on the end of the nut. Meaning the taper of the nut is less of a degree than the wheels.... Not that any of this is really relevant.

P5110090.jpg

P5110091.jpg