Mac Help?

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
Can anyone tell me what photo formats are compatible with Macs? I know "tifs" are, but what about "Jpegs" or "Gifs"? Any others that are available in PhotoShop? Any help would be appreciated!

ntsqd

Reaction
Jen, just about anything that will post to the net will work in one progrram or another. Mac browsers can see everything except maybe some of the .swf type files if there is no plug-in available.
As soon as I get a monitor cable I'm switching to a Mac for net use (only one known Mac virus). Too bad AutoCAD & SolidWorks aren't written for Mac's, I'd dump this pc in a heartbeat.

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Jen,
Jen,

Just about every graphic file (photo) format known to man is compatible on a Mac including SWF, TIFF, EPS, Gif, PDF, PSD, ILL, Pict, MSPaint, ect, ect, ect. And yes, you can run AutoCad, and Solidworks, and any other PC program on a Mac as well. We have a PC emulator called Virtual PC that lets you run WIN98, 2000, NT programs.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Josh, how do you know so much about Mac's? :)

When am I gonna be able to buy songs for my pc??

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I know I am a fool but I dont care for sites like Kazaa, it seems that 90% of the time the song is messed up somehow and I have never had more trouble with viruses and crashes until after I started using those sites. So I wont go on them anymore.

erikh

Reaction
The only major cross platform issue is when you're using the "working" or native file. Macs, say in photoshop, should be able to read a .psd file without even having the .psd extension. It's when you switch over to a pc platform that you for sure need to save it with the extension.

erik

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
So John,
I guess you have heard about our music store? We sold 2 million songs in two weeks and we have only released the store to Mac users in the USA. PC users will be in for a real treat soon when we release some SW and the music store to them as well as world wide. Hang on, it won't be too long. Also, the file format is no longer MP3 downloads, we are using a much better compression ratio, that is the same file size but much better quality audio. It is compatible will you current MP3 player. :O)

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Jen, Just like Josh said you should have no problems. I have one PC the I use mostly for design and the web (web sites, ads, stickers, etc) and I have a Mac G4 desktop and a G4 Powerbook. I use Apples own software on the G4's for my video editing, DVD authoring and I also transfer Photoshop files (any file format PS will open) to and from the G4 to the PC. I also transfer sound files sometimes when I am editing.
If I really wanted to I could do everything on the Mac but I was born and raised on a PC so I can't seem to get rid of it.

You can also get Office for the Mac as well. I transfer Word and Excell files sometimes with no problems. I have a firend that used the Virtual PC program on his G4 and the last I talked to him he was real happy with it.

mflo

Reaction
The only mac incompatibility I've found is with the new video codec from windows media player. The software project manager for AutoCAD is looking for people who are interested in the development of the program for Mac OS X to email him: eric.stover@autodesk.com
You guys that use the mac know what I'm talking about, but for everyone else... there's nothing like having a computer that you don't have to fight. Solid reliability, virtually no viruses, simple to use, and they look great. Then again, I am quite partial....

ntsqd

Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
We have a PC emulator called Virtual PC

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know about that particular program, but the emulators I have used were SLOW. Knowing what they have to do to work, they don't have much option other than being slow, at least as far as I can tell.
I nearly stalled a P6-933 w/ 512 DRAM and 64 VRAM using SolidWorks. If that had been thru an emulator I'd still be waiting for it. It was a BIG assembly model.
AutoDesk needs to start from scratch with a parametric program. Their current patches on patches to add features is a nightmare.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
AUTODESK is CRAP... tell APPLE to get interested in some real Engineering software and I will test it out free...along with 8 other people in my department! RIght now I have a workhorse with more then a gig of memory and a half gig of video and it still gives me crap with big renderings.