machining splines

zooper

How much would a machine shop charge to machine splines on a the average. I am trying to deciede how to lengthen my cv's. I am stuck between machining new shafts or cutting and welding the original shafts. Thanks, Brady

one mynd

hoeker

NEW

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Dave_G

Re: "How much would a machine shop charge to machine splines on a the average"

All depends on the type of spline. Most spline/gear shops do not like to cut material that is harder than Rc 38. There are some shops that will cut harder material but it takes a carbide hobb so cutting or extending an existing heat treated spline might be expensive and tough to do. Also, you need to see if the shop already has a cutter that will do your specific spline. If not, the cutters are expensive and can run upwards of $800 and they'll want you to pay for it. If I were you I would make new ones and call Gearhardt Gear in Hollywood or Gear Design in Rancho Cucamonga. Either one could give you a quote on machining your splines.

Dave

"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left"

ntsqd

Cutting & welding is not an option. Torsion bars (= halfshafts) & welds do not get along very well. It's just like trying to weld a leaf spring. It'll stick, but it won't take much loading b4 it fails.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

zooper

How about and intermediate shaft the end pieces slip into with like 2 or more keyways per side, plus they would be the first to go, and easy to fix.

one mynd

geoff

i thought the same thing, but there are some ways to safely weld the axles. A lot of the high power honda guys are using welded axles now, and while they do eventually break, they last a good bit longer than stock ones...

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka

zooper

geoff- You should try and find out what special things the Honda guys are doing to make there welds hold up. Thanks
Brady

one mynd

geoff

we were using axles from this guy:

www.driveshaftshop.com

his name is frank rehak, his site sucks *miserably* but he really does know his stuff when it comes to shafts. I was at SEMA with him (we shared a booth, shhh) two years ago and he knew his stuff unbelieveably well.

I noticed he is no longer welding the shafts, he now uses 4340 shafts, that too can be welded. Just give them a call, theyre good guys, tho they are a bit far away. if nothing else, get some advice.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." -- Willy Wonka