Made in China why so much $$$

thunderwolf

Reaction
Walker Evans wheels and BTR wheels cost over $300 each and they are made in China. Why do so many of us support these companies with their absurd prices when they are just exploiting us for our money and the Chinese for their cheap labor.

HDRA1

The Godfather
Reaction
please tell me where you can buy a wheel that will hold up anywhere else that is a 5 on 205mm bolt pattern and no centerlines do not hold up

DOG ON

RDC's illegal immigrant
Reaction
There you go! Here is your chance....setup your company and sell them cheaper and with better quality, Ill buy a set (if some Guinea pig does first and approves them)

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
If you looked into making them, I think you would find the answer pretty quickly.

APP's were the best wheels made in My opinion, the blanks from the were in the 200$ range. Now add machining and all the other costs that go with selling rims and I think you will see why few wheels are made in the US. Also, you want to be able to run that wheel on the street legally? Add more $$$$$

NIKAL

Reaction
If you looked into making them, I think you would find the answer pretty quickly.

APP's were the best wheels made in My opinion, the blanks from the were in the 200$ range. Now add machining and all the other costs that go with selling rims and I think you will see why few wheels are made in the US. Also, you want to be able to run that wheel on the street legally? Add more $$$$$
One of the most expensive decals you can find has 3 letters printed on it. D.O.T!

Steve0

Reaction
Sorry I should have said beadlock.
Last time I bought beedlock BTR's they were about $200 a wheel with ring & hardware. $300 seems high.

Demp

#mikesson
Reaction
Walker Evans wheels and BTR wheels cost over $300 each and they are made in China. Why do so many of us support these companies with their absurd prices when they are just exploiting us for our money and the Chinese for their cheap labor.
Why?

My father owns an Aluminum Foundry, and these companies go overseas for cheaper labor. Cheaper Labor= Cheaper Parts. Bottom Line. How can we fix that? We have lowered our prices to try to keep companies that are in the Offroad Industry ( no names involved ) from moving all their tooling to China to try and save money, but in the long run these companies feel the pain as they have pissed off customers with broken parts returned to them due to poor castings, or machining.

All to save money here and there. Id rather spend the extra money and have happy customers return looking for the same part time and time again.

Forty1Racing

Reaction
Well common.. there should be at least some restictions to what can be out sourced.
I mean the Walker Evans logo has a man wearing a cowboy hat on it. COMMON its terrible to look
at the back of the wheel and see "Made in China"

HDRA1

The Godfather
Reaction
i will say this it is our own fault we don't have things made here anymore the biggest problem is the EPA i know that they have such high standards the wheel companies couldn't afford to comply with there changes so it was cheaper to set up in mexico and china walker wheels were made here for a bit and were getting beat up by the eco-nazi's so who do we blame

the epa asked K&N to change things they did now they have more people out sick costing them more money than if they would have just taken the fines. got to love the catch 22's

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
the biggest problem is the EPA
And how! They are not doing a damn thing for the environment either, they are just moving the problems to somewhere with a lot fewer restrictions. We should get the Chinese to sue the EPA for forcing all the industrial pollution into there back yards.

RWilliams

Reaction
Why?

My father owns an Aluminum Foundry, and these companies go overseas for cheaper labor. Cheaper Labor= Cheaper Parts. Bottom Line. How can we fix that? We have lowered our prices to try to keep companies that are in the Offroad Industry ( no names involved ) from moving all their tooling to China to try and save money, but in the long run these companies feel the pain as they have pissed off customers with broken parts returned to them due to poor castings, or machining.

All to save money here and there. Id rather spend the extra money and have happy customers return looking for the same part time and time again.

Great Point! I think people are so focused on today and not long term, long term paying a little more to a good local business helps everyone. You get a great product & good customer service, they get a new customer and make a few bucks keeping their employees busy which in turn means they will eat out, buy, spend promoting more spending and so on and so on. Now is the time for businesses to support each other and become stronger together.
"You get what you pay for" no way around it.

Atombomb

Reaction
Many times a products price is reverse engineered.
What can a product be sold for (x)
what is the minimum the product can be manufactured and delivered to the shelf for the consumer(also taking into account fixed costs) (y)

X-Y=P (profit)

We may think that it is more like:

Y+P=X

But mostly it is not.

The consumer determines if their formula is correct. If they sell wheels regardless of price, equation #1 is what builds a business and makes money, #2 can be a spin cycle.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
Reaction
Why?

Add this to that:
I have a job-shop, (a.k.a. machine shop) for my aerospace customers
I have to furnish "domestic" material. (Ever try to find it?) When I do, and it's expensive, I machine the part(s), sell the scrap to my "guy", he sells it to his "guy," who sells it to China. & guess what??? I/we can't buy it back no mo. Make sense?
Me neither.

fordnut

Reaction
I was pretty disappointed when I got my new Walkers out of the box and saw "Made in China". I felt somewhat cheated. I'm sure they are still a great product, or people wouldn't be using them.

JD Durfey

Reaction
I was in the aviation recycling business for several years. All the aluminum I sold from scrapped airplanes after 911 was all sold to China. Not some of it, all of it!! I crushed over 1 million tons of comercial airplanes and it all went to China.