• Forum membership has its advantages....

MAG-7 pit support 2018 NORRA

in2baja

Hola 2018 NORRA racers....

This is the voice of MAG-7.

We have been prepping for the 2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 since Nov. 2017.

I have lost track of the number of NORRA round-table meetings and email tweaks over the last few months.

I picked a great hobby!!!!

MAG-7 will be providing full support for all classes from Ensenada to San Jose Del Cabo.

NORRA has paid, on your behalf, for this service. There will be a total of about 15 MAG-7 team locations on your 2018 adventure.

I cannot release course details, but, the course is set and the "remote" pit locations are set as well.

NORRA will release the specifics, as planned, nearer to race-time, according to the NORRA time-line.

Until then....

What we can do, and will do is post up on www.mag7race.com your (example only) "day one, off-road leg length mileage with a pit at mile ###).

There will be a combination of "full pits" (cars and moto's) and "moto splash pits" (for moto's only) so that between (a) whatever chase capability you have (b) Pemex (c) our full and splash locations...you will never be out of range for fuel.

EVERY location will have major lubes, welder, jacks, power, tools, enthusiastic and talented people who will do anything they can to get you down the trail

All you buy is the fuel.

With luck, we will have fuel prices within a week or so from this posting. It is complicated to import fuel into Mexico. Please be patient.

As soon as we have fuel prices, we will post them on our web site.

NORRA will put out a racer alert when this happens.

Then, for you, it is a simple drop down menu choice, fill in the blanks, pay at the bottom.

NOTE...a reminder....Since the fuel will be imported to Mexico, taxes & permits paid, etc...LEFT OVER FUEL CANNOT BE BROUGHT BACK TO THE USA LEGALLY.

What this means....if you blow up on... ie: ....day three...and are a dnf...you have one option re: YOUR fuel. You can come find your downrange pits and we will happily load you up with the fuel you bought.

Other than "personal use" fuel.... the USA will not allow cans and drums of gas to be brought into the USA without proof of USA taxes paid, haz-mat permits, safety placards etc.

Yes...we know...typically, after a race, folks always manage to sneak across Northbound. For us, the stakes get much higher if we were to try to sneak DRUMS of fuel into the USA.

Folks...it sucks...I'm sorry..it is the cost of racing when that happens. Don't blame / flame me...

In closing....some perspective.... A 1300 mile Baja race....5 days....15 separate, stand-alone locations, approximately 200 support personnel... 60-70 trucks & trailers.

PERFECT SERVICE is the GOAL....

Never happens, never will...but, we do our damndest for you.

ANYTHING you need out there in the Baja yonder...tell us and we will do our best.

MAG-7 out

www.mag7race.com
Supporting Baja racers since 1967

enesset

Geoff,
Air cooled Manx #67 Nesset here (I follow up emailed you and the guys back on 3/1/18).

In my email I was trying to clarify if there is an additional fee structure for "spares hauling" for those people dumb enough to do this without a chase vehicle....spares in my case consisting of a spare wheel/tire combo and vw-style-flat-tow-bar?

Thanks guys and super grateful for the support.

Last edited:

in2baja

Replies to above:

The fuel ordering / drop down menu will be on the MAG-7 web site. www.mag7race.com

Spares: Damn good catch. I forgot to mention this. Bring any and all spares to us at RV-HQ in the parking lot of the San Nicholas hotel. We will label your items as to (a) ownership, (b) pit location, then we will carry it down range. RV-HQ will be open for business starting Wed. 18 April noon-ish and CLOSES SAT. 21 APRIL AT 12 NOON. This is iron-clad so that all my down-range crews can safely travel to their remote locations.

All spares come back to San Diego for safe storage & pick up. It typically takes as long as week for everything to get back into the warehouse.

Spares cannot leapfrog the race course from day to day. By the time each pit closes at the end of the race day, there is no way for us to catch up to you. This is why each pit crew is a "stand-alone" challenge.

MAG-7 out.

Zambo

So if I give a spare tire to a pit for day one, that spare won't be available at any other pits later in the race like on day 3 or something?

ACME

We used MAG 7 a bunch over the years and they are top shelf!

We had a tire in a pit that was delayed in getting back to the pick up after a Baja 500. One of their guys hooked up with us and brought it to our house when he was heading home from Baja a few days later. We always got everything back we gave them and they were always there for us. Great pit group!

Viva Mag 7!

Zambo

That’s right, Zambo but if you give them 5 spares they can have one for you out there every day. It’s a good service especially if you’re light on your own pit crews.
Lol, now I just need five spares! Looking forward to working with Mag7, I'm sure its gonna be great. I guess I just figured that the guys who are doing a pit on day 1 would move down the course and do another pit somewhere else on day 2 or another day and would be able to bring the spares with them. Either way its gonna be great to get fuel and emergency repairs out there.

MasTacos

Lol, now I just need five spares! Looking forward to working with Mag7, I'm sure its gonna be great. I guess I just figured that the guys who are doing a pit on day 1 would move down the course and do another pit somewhere else on day 2 or another day and would be able to bring the spares with them. Either way its gonna be great to get fuel and emergency repairs out there.
Logistically that's sometimes hard to do. Crews depart downrange early then set up, typically the night or in the wee hours of the AM the day-of. Once the race goes through, including the stragglers, it can end up being a very late night. The time it takes to get into position again for a 2nd day can sometimes be too much of a logistical challenge.

If you have additional questions, you can always reach us via the Facebook page.

Zambo

No worries Mas Tacos like I said I'm sure it will be great. I was just a little surprised that the pits were "one and done" for a five day race. I totally get that its hard to leapfrog a pit down the course every day.

enesset

Ooof. I hadn't realized that either. I have a Manx and no chase so even though I have 4 spares there is no way to get them to Ensenada.

I'll hook up with some of the other Manx guys to see about hauling a single spare wheel/tire and my tow-bar

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Super stoked that Mag 7 is supporting the Mexican 1000 this year. Thanks to Mag 7 and NORRA for doing this! Woot!

The NORRA chase map came out today so I have some Mag 7 questions. Can we get a splash at moto pit in a car? There is a 170 mile section from Bay of LA to Vizcaino with no Mag 7 support and/or fuel...is that right or??

Zambo

I may be wrong but I'd bet they'll be at the San Francisquito road turnoff on that section if it takes the normal route down the coast before turning toward el arco.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I may be wrong but I'd bet they'll be at the San Francisquito road turnoff on that section if it takes the normal route down the coast before turning toward el arco.
Zambo, if true that would be great. Also on the section that goes from San Ignacio to Scorpion Bay it shows the bike splash about 50 miles in and the full service near La Purisma...which is way (too?) far in for me.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Yeah I’m pretty sure that will be right in San Juanco. We’ll see.
San Juanico would be great. When you say 'we'll see,' when will we see? I thought the pit locations were set via the map that just came out. Or am I missing something (probably haha)?

Zambo

Yeah I don't know. I looked at the sign up form on Mag7 site and it says La Purisima. Gonna be hard to make it that far in a stock UTV. Maybe we'll at least see a race mile attached to the pit location at some point. Not sure how to calculate our fuel needs if I don't know the mileage to the pit.

Zambo

Also, looking more closely at the mileage, I'm not so sure the course is going down by San Francisquito like last year. That was a 136 mile leg. This year the first special on that day is 170 miles so its at least somewhat different. So really no idea. Day three is gonna be a long one though, 438 total miles. Hopefully we can get at least an hour of sleep this year in BOLA.

enesset

Any chance in the options on your page -- to add the bike splash on Race Day one to the car list so those of us running small capacity fuel tanks on vintage rigs can take on a few gallons?

enesset

Apologies if this is a dumb follow on question to the original post.....if on day 2...... I order 10 gallons and can only use 8.....I have a surplus I could use at another stop further south?