• Forum membership has its advantages....

MAG-7 pit support 2018 NORRA

MasTacos

Sorry guys for the delay, I was racing in SF and just got back.

I've spoken will Bill, the Mag7 president and he's going to get on soon to answer as many questions as he can. In the meantime, here's my shot at answering what you posted.

Ooof. I hadn't realized that either. I have a Manx and no chase so even though I have 4 spares there is no way to get them to Ensenada.

I'll hook up with some of the other Manx guys to see about hauling a single spare wheel/tire and my tow-bar
Hi Enesset,

This is an excellent idea. Having chase for NORRA, in my mind, is a must-have. Fortunately this is a great community and I suspect that there are few people out there who'd be happy to work with you to pool resources.

I may be wrong but I'd bet they'll be at the San Francisquito road turnoff on that section if it takes the normal route down the coast before turning toward el arco.
I believe they'll have a pit at El Arco but Bill will confirm.

Super stoked that Mag 7 is supporting the Mexican 1000 this year. Thanks to Mag 7 and NORRA for doing this! Woot!

The NORRA chase map came out today so I have some Mag 7 questions. Can we get a splash at moto pit in a car? There is a 170 mile section from Bay of LA to Vizcaino with no Mag 7 support and/or fuel...is that right or??
The moto course for NORRA typically follows a different route than the car course for at least the first day or two. Mag7 will put out moto support pits on the moto course and vehicle pits on the vehicle course. When they come together, a single pit will service both.

if you find yourself at a Mag7 moto pit on the first day, you may want to have a word with your co-driver :)
Apologies if this is a dumb follow on question to the original post.....if on day 2...... I order 10 gallons and can only use 8.....I have a surplus I could use at another stop further south?
Our policy is a "use-it-or-lose-it" one. As you can imagine, hauling a "Ay-carumba" load of gas down Baja can be a bit of a logistical challenge and we don't normally plan on "buffer" for the case you outlined above. If pay for 10 gals at pit A but only use 8, that extra two gals is either going into pit truck or may be going to help some other racer who underplanned.

While we make no guarantees, I can tell you from personal experience that it's not unheard of for cars to drop out of the race. Some of those cars may have also paid for fuel downrange that falls under the same policy. If you happen to be dumb enough to be in the habit of crashing your car within the first mile after the start (see my signature below), you're pretty much donating gas either to the club or to other folks who'll put it to good use.

My advice is that it never hurts to roll into the pit and ask.

Keep your questions coming, Bill will be posting soon and you can always reach us via Facebook/Facebook Messenger.

Mag Seven Pit Crew

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Thanks for the answers Mas Tacos. I bought fuel from Mag 7 for the two 170+ sections. Hoping that the Mag 7 pit is toward the middle to 2/3rd's in on both of these remote sections and not the end...eg not El Arco, otherwise I will walking. Any and all information is always appreciated.

volks 73

Unless I'm missing something we only have one 170 mile section that support is hard to get. (San Ignacio to Rosarito. ) The rest of the days it looks like the course will cross the highway at least once during the stage allowing your chase crew to fuel you.
Hoping that the Mag 7 pit is toward the middle to 2/3rd's in on both of these remote sections and not the end...

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Unless I'm missing something we only have one 170 mile section that support is hard to get. (San Ignacio to Rosarito. ) The rest of the days it looks like the course will cross the highway at least once during the stage allowing your chase crew to fuel you.
Do you have a map of the race course? I don't. I only have transit sections. Last year the race went from the 'never-never' going south of Bay of LA ESE and eventually arching towards El Arco WSW. This is a VERY remote area, if the course actually goes this way, as I just raced it at night at the B1K. I have no detailed NORRA intel except I would have to go 170 miles south of Bay of LA which would be a BIG stretch particularly if the course follows last years course and the B1K course. My 2 pesos

Zambo

Can we drop of spares in San Diego? Not sure I can get down to Ensenada in time to bring my tires.

volks 73

I don't have a map. Last year it was 136 miles from B of LA through El Arco to Viscaino no MAG 7 from my memory. This year the transit map looks like we will leave B of LA the opposite direction. MAG 7 shows a full service pit on the highway just before Guerrero Negro. Previous years when we have left B of LA opposite of last year mileage was 170 plus (this year it shows 170) Previous years when we left opposite of last year. The map showed a MAG 7 pit in El Arco. When this has happened we crossed the highway a couple times. NORRA has always done a good job with the transit map showing a rough idea of direction so you can build a fuel and support strategy ,this is what I'm basing my plan on.

Last edited:

MasTacos

Thanks for the answers Mas Tacos. I bought fuel from Mag 7 for the two 170+ sections. Hoping that the Mag 7 pit is toward the middle to 2/3rd's in on both of these remote sections and not the end...eg not El Arco, otherwise I will walking. Any and all information is always appreciated.
Bill Thompson should have some info soon but, if you don't hear from him, hit me up here or on the Facebook page message and I'll get you info.

Can we drop of spares in San Diego? Not sure I can get down to Ensenada in time to bring my tires.
I've forwarded that question on to the race director. A few years ago it wouldn't have been an issue but, with the latest tire-related kerfuffles at the border, I'm hesitant to make a definitive statement. Stay tuned.

When this has happened we crossed the highway a couple times. NORRA has always done a good job with the transit map showing a rough idea of direction so you can build a fuel and support strategy ,this is what I'm basing my plan on.
I think you're a very smart guy Volks

MasTacos

Do you think it is running different this year?
If you look at the 2018 map, there's a full-service Mag7 pit just N of Guererro Negro (keep in mind that all pit locations may be subject to some changes. NORRA's C31-SS01 does indeed show a total length of 170 miles but, even though you can't see the race course on the NORRA maps, you may want to do the math on why Mag7 would be putting a pit out right in the middle of that stage. We do love camping out in the desert, no doubt but we also do like pitting people ;)

Zambo

Pretty sure that first leg out of BOLA is going to be just like 2016. 65 miles from BOLA out to the highway, another 35 miles along the highway, and then a 70 mile leg through El Arco and back out to Viscaino.

Zambo

The course in 2016 crossed the highway and paralleled it out by the beach. Its wasn't a highway section. If I recall there were a few silt beds in there. Then it crossed the highway again at the 100 mile point-ish. The course files are on Murdocknav.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
We shall see. The good news is that my fuel issues are now solved!
I promise I will wait for at least an hour before I ask another stupid question. Haha
upload_2018-4-10_12-35-9.png

MasTacos

I promise I will wait for at least an hour before I ask another stupid question. Haha
Not stupid questions Matt. The stupid questions are the ones people ask when the deadlines are missed and all the pit crews have rolled out of Ensenada, heading south.

I can't tell you how many times people have come up to me, after the race has left, begging for fuel or asking where pits are set up.

You're doing the smart thing by asking, keep those coming or you can hit us up on the Facebook page.

CZLou

We have found it helpful, If you take out a old AAA map of Baja Calif. and the maps from NORRA and look at them together. You can almost guess where the course and roads work together. Fuel stops, Pits stops and "O" NO's . Just my 2 cents and Half a clue. Team161

rustyb

Mas Tacos, what fuel range are you figuring for bikes/quads? I'm good for about 75, wondering if I'll be OK on some of the longer specials.

MasTacos

Mas Tacos, what fuel range are you figuring for bikes/quads? I'm good for about 75, wondering if I'll be OK on some of the longer specials.
The club typically reckons ~60 miles between pits but do keep in mind that the actual location of the pit is up to the pit captain when they arrive on site and do an assessment of where the pit can most safely be posted up. In some cases, it may be a mile or more beyond the posted location if the area is really rough or inaccessible.