• Forum membership has its advantages....

MAG-7 pit support 2018 NORRA

Zambo

Are the pits that say bikes only (splash) available for the UTVs? 120 miles from San Iggy to La Purisima is gonna be impossible on a stock tank.

MasTacos

Are the pits that say bikes only (splash) available for the UTVs? 120 miles from San Iggy to La Purisima is gonna be impossible on a stock tank.
Yes, "Splash Pits" are available for Motos and UTVs.

Please do note that the cut-off for fuel orders is today though if you haven't accounted for that.

rustyb

Nevermind, found it on the NORRA site:

Moto entries DO NOT need to register online or order fuel - 91 octane will be provided for you at all of the pits, and gas will be available for purchase at Pemex stations on the transit stages throughout the race. If your moto needs a higher octane VP fuel, please contact the MAG-7 Race Director: geoff@bajabound.com.

in2baja

This is the voice of MAG-7.

Lets talk NORRA !

Before we do...a quick caveat....I do have a REAL job so I can put butter on my bread. I cannot stay on-line / real-time. I do the best I can between work, family, MAG-7.

So...major points for NORRA, and, I hope, answers to your questions.

A BIGGIE that many people have discussed. Yes, NORRA releases information differently than SCORE etc. Yes, it can be challenging trying to figure out the logistics. Yes, this will be an after-action round-table discussion AFTER the 2018 NORRA M1K is completed.

For now...jock up, buckle up, watch this & hold my beer!

I roll to Ensenada next Wed. 18th and will set up "RV-HQ" at the San Nick, in the parking lot back corner. By Thurs AM I will have help aboard with me to do business.

SPARES DROP OFF: Anytime between Wed afternoon 18 April and Sat 21 April 12 noon.

WHY? Because MAG-7 crews must roll remote beginning mid-afternoon Sat. For the Baja Sur pits, it can take over 2 days to SAFELY get "down-range, out yonder".

Spares will be logged in, identified with who / what / where etc and will be returned to San Diego after the race. Please keep in mind, our southern pit crews may not get back until 1 May...ish

Lets talk about the pits themselves...

Whether you need / don't need fuel. ALL pits are equipped with tools, power, air, welder...etc. GOT A PROBLEM? We will do our best to get you back on track.

MOTOS & UTV'S... This is weird...work with me. UTV's are assigned to the car-truck-buggy race course.

However, UTV's are only good for, max, 100-ish miles.

ALL vehicles, especially UTV's should make maximum use of road crossings / chase...Pemex to stretch their legs out.

All MAG-7 pits will, happily...splash you if you come to them. A splash means, 2 gallons to keep you going down the trail. NOT a fill up. This splash costs you nothing.

Think about the math here....By tradition, MAG-7 pays for 2 gal of 91 at each moto pit for each moto. That's a LOT of gas when you add it all up for a 1300 mile race.

NORRA is providing the same splash sponsorship courtesy for UTV's. BUT, even with simple 91 octane, we cannot afford, and NORRA cannot afford, to fill up 30+ UTV's, gratis.

Pit locations, GPS, etc. Each of my team leaders has huge Baja experience with supporting SCORE, NORRA etc for years. I will NOT second-guess them.

I give them 100% discretion for when they arrive on-site, remote, to adjust the location for SAFETY, visibility, common sense. ie: the outside of a turn, a cliff etc. There WILL be tweaks over the next few days, there always are.

THAT SAID, I will be briefing ALL drivers at the Sat pm meeting on any tweaks that have been done. My brief will not be nit-noy details, but, an overview, q & a and a last chance to advise all racers of last minute changes.

This is MAG-7's 51st year of service to Baja racer, and NORRA is our FAVE event every time.

Bill Thompson
MAG-7 Pit Captain & President

enesset

I had signed up for fuel last Tuesday with Mag7 (signed up under UTV -- pioneer buggy #67).

I literally had not gotten my vintage Meyers Manx road worthy until yesterday....I didn't even know the true capacity of my tank (10.0 gallons if filled to the neck)....and I ran a tank full and ran out on the highway...at best....at an east cruise.... I'll get 13mpg....off road I'm sure it will be sub-10mpg.

That's way less than 100 mile range. I won't pass a Pemex and bought Mag7 fuel for every stop listed on their website...and will surely need to "UTV splash".

bajabird

Cheers and THANK YOU (AGAIN) to the Magnificent-7 Pit between San Ignacio and Loreto.

Again, this year Tom and his team helped me out.

Water, oil, brake line cap off, water and good wishes.

Then sent my tool bag in another car to Loreto.

Thank you all, REALLY EACH AND EVERY MEMBER OF THE MAG 7 TEAM

Thank you!

Zambo

Thank you as well Mag7 for the support. I know it was a difficult race for you guys especially with the accident.

I'd like to make one suggestion if you don't mind. I know supporting the UTVs was a logistical challenge especially on day 3. Let me offer an alternative plan for your consideration.

You would probably have to haul less gas and give away less splash fuel from NORRA if you put the full service pit in San Juanico on day 3, which is just over halfway on that leg. All the UTVs can get to SJ without a splash so you wouldn't have to service them at any of the splash pits. As it was, from the splash pit to the main pit in La Purisima was too far even with a couple of gallons added during the splash. It takes nearly a full tank for most of us to go 90 miles at race speed. 2-3 gallons at the splash pit isn't enough to stretch that out to 135 miles.

So if you had to put a splash both before and after the main pit in SJ to make 3 pits for the bikes instead of just 2, I think you would wind up having to have less "splash" fuel available and concentrate more of the fuel at the one pit. Of course that would require a couple extra bodies and vehicles for the extra splash pit but it might be worth considering.

Thanks again for everything and I hope those that were injured recover soon!
Z

MasTacos

Thank you as well Mag7 for the support. I know it was a difficult race for you guys especially with the accident.

I'd like to make one suggestion if you don't mind. I know supporting the UTVs was a logistical challenge especially on day 3. Let me offer an alternative plan for your consideration.

You would probably have to haul less gas and give away less splash fuel from NORRA if you put the full service pit in San Juanico on day 3, which is just over halfway on that leg. All the UTVs can get to SJ without a splash so you wouldn't have to service them at any of the splash pits. As it was, from the splash pit to the main pit in La Purisima was too far even with a couple of gallons added during the splash. It takes nearly a full tank for most of us to go 90 miles at race speed. 2-3 gallons at the splash pit isn't enough to stretch that out to 135 miles.

So if you had to put a splash both before and after the main pit in SJ to make 3 pits for the bikes instead of just 2, I think you would wind up having to have less "splash" fuel available and concentrate more of the fuel at the one pit. Of course that would require a couple extra bodies and vehicles for the extra splash pit but it might be worth considering.

Thanks again for everything and I hope those that were injured recover soon!
Z
Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion. Needless to say, the club's focus is on other items right now but we will be having an after-action review that does include our fueling locations/strategy.

Zambo

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion. Needless to say, the club's focus is on other items right now but we will be having an after-action review that does include our fueling locations/strategy.
Yup I don't doubt it, and thanks for engaging. Basically what I'm saying is that less unique fueling events is better, both safety wise and logistically, which is accomplished by putting full pits in the middle of long stages and eliminating the need for splashes. The fewer times the fuel cap has to come off and fuel jugs hoisted into the air the better for everybody.

Any last minute departures...... leaving from San Diego Thursday Nov. 15th in the evening who can use Pit crew help ? Text me (858) 444-5714. I always wanted to go to Baja 1000 and have no ride but I can help! 43 yr old guy

jeff

@CraftforDirt This is a thread for the NORRA 1000 that takes place in April / May. You need to post this in the Desert Racing section and not the Vintage Racing section ;)

Aloha