MAG7 left us hanging

Abreojos

RDC Crypto
Abreojos Racing 2003

Could not communicate with PIT 3 Camalu,,,,no personnel at Check3 2:00 am. AN D LEFT US HANGING WITH NO FUEL (no one in pit) at 4:00 AM east of El Rosario. Thanks

az_amsoil

RDC Crypto
Abreojos Racing 2003

Could not communicate with PIT 3 Camalu,,,,no personnel at Check3 2:00 am. AN D LEFT US HANGING WITH NO FUEL (no one in pit) at 4:00 AM east of El Rosario. Thanks
No bueno!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

MasTacos

RDC Crypto
Hi Ralph,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience we will sort it out.

Our crews are still on their way back but I'll contact the Pit Captains as soon as possible. I have some additional questions that I will PM you to help me figure out what happened.

Paul

bannanaz

RDC Crypto
Your tracker shows you way off pace and timed out. Also looks like you were near last place going through checks 1 & 2. The 11 cars who timed out were in front of you.

The tracker also shows you arrived later than said in your post. My guess is everyone packed up and went home after closing time.

Mag7 was operating a checkpoint, if they abandoned their post there would be many more complaints than just yours.

Why not contact them directly instead of posting slander on the internet?

Last edited:

shrek

RDC Crypto

MARXICO

RDC Crypto
Abreojos, Sorry to hear about your dilemma.
I don’t see your post as slander and see nothing wrong about addressing it on the internet and hope we all can learn from your experience.
Were you provided a written time schedule of pit closures?
If not in the future maybe pit organizations can provide a written time frame of all pit closures that can be carried in the race car so you are not unexpectedly cut off of your life support prematurely

bannanaz

RDC Crypto
Referring to the post title. Looks like course, checkpoint, and pit closed. Nobody was left hanging. BFG pit was probably open for that last place UTV due to factory support money.

Last edited:

MasTacos

RDC Crypto
Abreojos,
Were you provided a written time schedule of pit closures?
If not in the future maybe pit organizations can provide a written time frame of all pit closures that can be carried in the race car so you are not unexpectedly cut off of your life support prematurely

Yes, we provide very specific notes on aprox RM for pit locations, pit captain names, mileage between pits and open/close times ahead of time to all our clients.

Abreojos

RDC Crypto
I believe some of those Pit locations changed. pit 3 for example.. We could not establish radio contact. and somehow we did not have any times. Being in the desert with no fuel and no notification is no fun even if you start last and are running close to last. Not being able to continue is even more frustrating. Enough said. Our drivers at El Rosario will be contacting Paul and see if they can work it out..

in2baja

RDC Crypto
Website
www.margaritamansd.com
Good morning Baja race fans, this is the voice of MAG-7 replying to Racer 2003. We are standing by for your call, but, since this is now a public flail / challenge / frustration, answers are due to all those lurking in.

There are always at least two sides to a story. This one has four...possibly more.

Pre-race, when SCORE contacted us about assisting them with checkpoints, every-single-one of my guys was thrilled. It added to our work-load, but, since we were "already there", it was a fairly simple shift in logistics.

For MAG-7, this means over 200 men, a few wives and S/O's, 40-ish trucks / trailers. Well over 20,000 travel miles. And every single one is a volunteer doing this for the fun, adventure and friendship. We are not like the "other guys" who have deep, deep pocket corporate sponsors, T-shirts, calenders etc. No one in MAG-7 ever shows a "profit". We cover expenses, barely. We are OK with this.

An overview of the 2014 B1K from here:

I arrived in Ensenada Sun. 9 Nov. at noon to set up RV-HQ for spares and fuel delivery.

SCORE was scheduled to arrive on Mon 10 Nov for a briefing and to drop off checkpoint gear, lights, logbooks, sat phones etc.

On Mon, they had major border issues with paperwork to import everything and were, essentially, sent home. The following day was a Mexican holiday which didn't make thing's any easier. As I understand it, Oscar Ramos had to get involved in order to solve this problem.

Meanwhile, while that was happening, the MAG-7 Baja Sur teams were rolling into Ensenada. The publicly, well-published travel plan was that ALL Sur teams had to leave no later than noon Tues for safe down-range travels.

Our SCORE gear did not arrive until 8 hours after my Sur guys rolled out.

I was able to free up a...quasi..."chase team" to get the gear down-range. It was NOT easy to catch up to an 8 hour head start.

We ran 20 Pit locations, SCORE checkpoints were co-located. Closing times were published by SCORE pre-race, BUT, were changed (longer open times) AFTER the race began. I cannot honestly say if everyone knew this. Frankly, it is not in my job description to make or second-guess that decision. I was 260 miles away.

18 of our locations had reasonable (for Baja) communications up or downstream, and with Weatherman Diablo or air.

2 had almost zero comms. Typically, this is geography.

Even with Weatherman air, those 2 spots were sketchy. They could sometimes hear him, but, were unable to reach him. All our pits have a 20-30 foot mast with a tuned ground-plane antenna. We monitor both MAG-7 main and Weatherman. FWIW my antenna was personally checked for tune by Steve Steinburger himself at Glen Helen this past summer. Our "race-radios" are, at-most 60-70 watts. Weatherman is either on a mountain or in the air. I have no doubt he pumps out some serious power.

Our Pit 2 was scheduled to be SCORE checkpoint 2. The following is MY interpretation, via radio, of the flow of events at that location. I was at RM 260 when this happened.

AFTER the race was underway, on Thurs am, SCORE realized they had extra personnel nearby and they came on-site to man the checkpoint. This caused minor confusion but, was quickly resolved via radio on-site.

I ran the MAG-7 pit 4 at RM 260, near San Quintin. It was also SCORE checkpoint 3. We opened for business at 9am on Thurs, shut down according to (changing via radio) SCORE instructions at 2am.

We never saw you at RM 260. It was an incredibly well marked, well lit, 20 orange-reflective-cone, 2+ mile straightaway lead-in. Nothing "distracting" was even remotely near our "camp".

We had 7 racers of various classes who never even vaguely tried to stop. Both day-time and night. They dusted the pit at full-on race-speed. We have zero clue who they were.

A handful of racers blew through the checkpoint and slammed on the brakes when they "woke up" to what they did.

We stayed on site until 9:30 am on Fri.

We left all the signs & cones up all night and a couple halogen spots on. Our "missing racer" fuel was staged and we slept with our clothes on...one ear peeled for anyone pulling in, honking or screaming for gas.

The last racer we saw was 1137 at about 9am...cheerful, honking and waving as we "ceremoniously" signed them in. THAT is grit!

Camalu...there was no pit within 30 miles. (perhaps this is a typo on your part?) There was never planned to be one there. The pit (#3) was West of Colonet at RM 190. That RM and geo-identifier was made public 3rd week of Oct and was never changed. FWIW, could hear them on the radio occasionally, but, they could never receive me.

They opened up at 8am and were scheduled to close at about 1 am. They too stayed on site through the night, lit up, just in case.

El Rosario, RM 320. They opened up at 10am on Thurs and shut down at 5am on Fri. They did not leave the site until almost noon Fri. (pack-out). BTW, I happened to run into Rev. Roy of Checkers at the Old Mill when departing and the Checkers pit was directly across the track from the MAG-7 pit. Good times with two legendary teams!

A few final thoughts from my desk:

1. In a "large" sense, despite working with SCORE for the first time, the logistical challenges and "things we saw" were pretty normal for us. Some things never change. One of them is communication. You can have a cell phone, sat phone and two radios on-hand. At best, in a 1288 mile race in Baja, comm's are going to be a crap shoot.There is never a guarantee. I am thrilled that 18 out of 20 had decent comm's.

2. Anyone who goes down there and expects full coverage on an event like this is going to be disappointed. I will be addressing the late-night radio flaming separately, but, it is an absolutely insulting punch in the nose to the hundreds of support people, from ALL organizations involved, to flog them over this "issue" when we know dang well, from decades of experience, it can't possibly be controlled.

3. I have personally seen dozens of hair-on-fire racers blow right by MY middle-of-nowhere, nothing-else-around-for-miles, broad daylight, with 3 flag waving people in front of the pit....only to run out of gas and say "we were abandoned" after the race. And, not just for MAG-7 either!

I feel your pain, my guys feel it too. Even though we do this for fun, we know that when a racer strokes a check for gas and support, they are no longer a racer...they are a customer. We do everything in our power to honor that. We always have and we always will.

Bill Thompson
MAG-7 Pit Captain and President

Brent Owen

RDC Crypto
Abreojos Racing 2003

Could not communicate with PIT 3 Camalu,,,,no personnel at Check3 2:00 am. AN D LEFT US HANGING WITH NO FUEL (no one in pit) at 4:00 AM east of El Rosario. Thanks[/QUO

Mag 7 at San Ignacio hooked the 140x up with fuel and tools to clean out a fouled injector. We had Baja pits and they didn't have a radio in San Ignacio which made finding our rider very difficult. Mag 7 went above and beyond for us and were a huge part in making our victory possible.

Abreojos

RDC Crypto
T
Good morning Baja race fans, this is the voice of MAG-7 replying to Racer 2003. We are standing by for your call, but, since this is now a public flail / challenge / frustration, answers are due to all those lurking in.

There are always at least two sides to a story. This one has four...possibly more.

Pre-race, when SCORE contacted us about assisting them with checkpoints, every-single-one of my guys was thrilled. It added to our work-load, but, since we were "already there", it was a fairly simple shift in logistics.

For MAG-7, this means over 200 men, a few wives and S/O's, 40-ish trucks / trailers. Well over 20,000 travel miles. And every single one is a volunteer doing this for the fun, adventure and friendship. We are not like the "other guys" who have deep, deep pocket corporate sponsors, T-shirts, calenders etc. No one in MAG-7 ever shows a "profit". We cover expenses, barely. We are OK with this.

An overview of the 2014 B1K from here:

I arrived in Ensenada Sun. 9 Nov. at noon to set up RV-HQ for spares and fuel delivery.

SCORE was scheduled to arrive on Mon 10 Nov for a briefing and to drop off checkpoint gear, lights, logbooks, sat phones etc.

On Mon, they had major border issues with paperwork to import everything and were, essentially, sent home. The following day was a Mexican holiday which didn't make thing's any easier. As I understand it, Oscar Ramos had to get involved in order to solve this problem.

Meanwhile, while that was happening, the MAG-7 Baja Sur teams were rolling into Ensenada. The publicly, well-published travel plan was that ALL Sur teams had to leave no later than noon Tues for safe down-range travels.

Our SCORE gear did not arrive until 8 hours after my Sur guys rolled out.

I was able to free up a...quasi..."chase team" to get the gear down-range. It was NOT easy to catch up to an 8 hour head start.

We ran 20 Pit locations, SCORE checkpoints were co-located. Closing times were published by SCORE pre-race, BUT, were changed (longer open times) AFTER the race began. I cannot honestly say if everyone knew this. Frankly, it is not in my job description to make or second-guess that decision. I was 260 miles away.

18 of our locations had reasonable (for Baja) communications up or downstream, and with Weatherman Diablo or air.

2 had almost zero comms. Typically, this is geography.

Even with Weatherman air, those 2 spots were sketchy. They could sometimes hear him, but, were unable to reach him. All our pits have a 20-30 foot mast with a tuned ground-plane antenna. We monitor both MAG-7 main and Weatherman. FWIW my antenna was personally checked for tune by Steve Steinburger himself at Glen Helen this past summer. Our "race-radios" are, at-most 60-70 watts. Weatherman is either on a mountain or in the air. I have no doubt he pumps out some serious power.

Our Pit 2 was scheduled to be SCORE checkpoint 2. The following is MY interpretation, via radio, of the flow of events at that location. I was at RM 260 when this happened.

AFTER the race was underway, on Thurs am, SCORE realized they had extra personnel nearby and they came on-site to man the checkpoint. This caused minor confusion but, was quickly resolved via radio on-site.

I ran the MAG-7 pit 4 at RM 260, near San Quintin. It was also SCORE checkpoint 3. We opened for business at 9am on Thurs, shut down according to (changing via radio) SCORE instructions at 2am.

We never saw you at RM 260. It was an incredibly well marked, well lit, 20 orange-reflective-cone, 2+ mile straightaway lead-in. Nothing "distracting" was even remotely near our "camp".

We had 7 racers of various classes who never even vaguely tried to stop. Both day-time and night. They dusted the pit at full-on race-speed. We have zero clue who they were.

A handful of racers blew through the checkpoint and slammed on the brakes when they "woke up" to what they did.

We stayed on site until 9:30 am on Fri.

We left all the signs & cones up all night and a couple halogen spots on. Our "missing racer" fuel was staged and we slept with our clothes on...one ear peeled for anyone pulling in, honking or screaming for gas.

The last racer we saw was 1137 at about 9am...cheerful, honking and waving as we "ceremoniously" signed them in. THAT is grit!

Camalu...there was no pit within 30 miles. (perhaps this is a typo on your part?) There was never planned to be one there. The pit (#3) was West of Colonet at RM 190. That RM and geo-identifier was made public 3rd week of Oct and was never changed. FWIW, could hear them on the radio occasionally, but, they could never receive me.

They opened up at 8am and were scheduled to close at about 1 am. They too stayed on site through the night, lit up, just in case.

El Rosario, RM 320. They opened up at 10am on Thurs and shut down at 5am on Fri. They did not leave the site until almost noon Fri. (pack-out). BTW, I happened to run into Rev. Roy of Checkers at the Old Mill when departing and the Checkers pit was directly across the track from the MAG-7 pit. Good times with two legendary teams!

A few final thoughts from my desk:

1. In a "large" sense, despite working with SCORE for the first time, the logistical challenges and "things we saw" were pretty normal for us. Some things never change. One of them is communication. You can have a cell phone, sat phone and two radios on-hand. At best, in a 1288 mile race in Baja, comm's are going to be a crap shoot.There is never a guarantee. I am thrilled that 18 out of 20 had decent comm's.

2. Anyone who goes down there and expects full coverage on an event like this is going to be disappointed. I will be addressing the late-night radio flaming separately, but, it is an absolutely insulting punch in the nose to the hundreds of support people, from ALL organizations involved, to flog them over this "issue" when we know dang well, from decades of experience, it can't possibly be controlled.

3. I have personally seen dozens of hair-on-fire racers blow right by MY middle-of-nowhere, nothing-else-around-for-miles, broad daylight, with 3 flag waving people in front of the pit....only to run out of gas and say "we were abandoned" after the race. And, not just for MAG-7 either!

I feel your pain, my guys feel it too. Even though we do this for fun, we know that when a racer strokes a check for gas and support, they are no longer a racer...they are a customer. We do everything in our power to honor that. We always have and we always will.

Bill Thompson
MAG-7 Pit Captain and President

We will call. Driver and co-driver said no one at 320 about 4:30-5:00 (they saw the ribbons) and they had to turn back after begging 5 gallons and that was the end of our race.