Mag7 Racer Alert - Fuel Order Deadline

MasTacos

Reaction
From the Mag7 Facebook page:

RACER ALERT:
NORRA fuel orders will close at 5pm on Friday, April 13th.
No late fuel orders will be available after that date as our pit books and logistics must be finalized.
No exceptions will be made. NONE!
visit www.mag7race.com to order your fuel today!

I strongly recommend, if you haven't signed up for fuel yet, you do so asap.

jeff

Reaction
I understand that NORRA and Mag-7 don't want to give away too much of the course routing prior to the race and I can appreciate why. It sure would be nice in the future if NORRA allowed Mag-7 to provide a mileage guide stating the distance between the start of each Special Stage and the next Mag-7 pit. Providing that distance information would make fuel ordering a much faster, easier and more accurate process.

Aloha

MasTacos

Reaction
I understand that NORRA and Mag-7 don't want to give away too much of the course routing prior to the race and I can appreciate why. It sure would be nice in the future if NORRA allowed Mag-7 to provide a mileage guide stating the distance between the start of each Special Stage and the next Mag-7 pit. Providing that distance information would make fuel ordering a much faster, easier and more accurate process.

Aloha

Hi Jeff,

Yes, we've had that request before but it's really up to NORRA on what they release. As a rule of thumb, assume that, for the bikes on the starting stages, fuel will be available every 50-60 miles (the average range of a moto). For the cars, assume 100-120 miles for the first stages.

jeff

Reaction
@MasTacos - I appreciate NORRA and MAG-7 working so hard to make this race possible. Without MAG-7 last year I wouldn't have finished the race. THANK YOU MAG-7 !!!

I think NORRA needs to look at the growth of the UTV classes and re-think what information they release prior to the fuel purchase deadline. I know it's NORRA that has the final say but it might be possible for Mag-7 to show them why this information can be so critical for some teams.

In the Stock UTV class it can be darn near impossible to make it 100 miles on a single tank of fuel. That means a chase vehicle with no prior knowledge of the race route has to guess where the course will go and then try to plan accordingly. For the guy or gal with only 1 chase truck (or no chase truck) that can make for a long and stressful day.

Here's how providing that information would help a vehicle with a sub-100 mile fuel range:

SS-11 - MAG 7 Pit = 50 Miles = AOK
SS-22 - MAG 7 Pit = 100 Miles = UH OH
SS-33 - MAG 7 Pit = 120 Miles = WE'RE WALKING

This type of information would tell a team that on SS-33 a fuel stop would be necessary before the Mag-7 pit. The amount of fuel to be dumped at the upcoming Mag-7 pit could be better calculated and everyone would be happy. ;)

Aloha

MasTacos

Reaction
@MasTacos

Here's how providing that information would help a vehicle with a sub-100 mile fuel range:

SS-11 - MAG 7 Pit = 50 Miles = AOK
SS-22 - MAG 7 Pit = 100 Miles = UH OH
SS-33 - MAG 7 Pit = 120 Miles = WE'RE WALKING

This type of information would tell a team that on SS-33 a fuel stop would be necessary before the Mag-7 pit. The amount of fuel to be dumped at the upcoming Mag-7 pit could be better calculated and everyone would be happy. ;)
Aloha

I'm glad to hear we were able to help! One of the most rewarding parts of being on a Mag7 crew is when someone limps their vehicle (or themselves) into our pit and we're able to get them together and back up and running.

This has been a subject of conversation within the club and the Splash pits are designed, in part, to address this issue for UTVs. For UTVs though, it also may be prudent to work a road-pit or two into the mix (eg, at the Vizcaino crossing, a short hop into town brings you to a bunch of Pemex stations).