• Forum membership has its advantages....

On Topic Magnafluxing trailing arms for a beam car

volks 73

I get mixed results when I've asked about magnafluxing front trailing arms. Some have said do it others have said they crack from the inside out so it doesn't work. What are you beam guys doing?

harleys dad

I have been racing beam front ends for over 40 years, Mag is not going to tell you anything on a Foddrill arm. What I recommend is clean the arm real well where the gap is at the end of the arm and tig weld it all the way around. I know people who mig weld them with no problem Some re heat treat the arms again I never have and have never had a issue. Outside of buying new arms every so often this way lasts a long time. Of course if you ask Foddrill they will say dont do it but I can tell you all kinds of racers do it and have very good luck. Its a no brainer, if you dont weld the arms its going to break on the inside, by welding them you get twice the strength and you can mag the welded area when you want.. The best arm to find is old write arms, they were the best

Last edited:

volks 73

I have been racing beam front ends for over 40 years, Mag is not going to tell you anything on a Foddrill arm. What I recommend is clean the arm real well where the gap is at the end of the arm and tig weld it all the way around. I know people who mig weld them with no problem Some re heat treat the arms again I never have and have never had a issue. Outside of buying new arms every so often this way lasts a long time. Of course if you ask Foddrill they will say dont do it but I can tell you all kinds of racers do it and have very good luck. Its a no brainer, if you dont weld the arms its going to break on the inside, by welding them you get twice the strength and you can mag the welded area when you want.. The best arm to find is old write arms, they were the best
My arms are write arms,I've already dropped them off to be magged with some other parts. It will be interesting to see how they turn out, I will be sure to get them welded ,can you shed more light on the heat treating process. Thanks

harleys dad

You are way ahead of the game with Write arms, I have not done the heat treat on any of mine so I am not quite sure where to go but I can find out. I just talked to a friend of mine the other day and I think he said its 150 to get it done. He might have said Sumers brothers but I might be wrong on that. I have yet to see a arm break off after being welded.

volks 73

Harleys Dad ,I called Sumners bros. and they don't do it. I would appreciate it if you could ask your friend where he has them done. The welding isn't a problem I'm more concerned with the heat treating. Thanks