• Forum membership has its advantages....

Maintance Prerunner

Hey Everyone,

I know this could be an open ended question with many different views and varibles but I thought it would be interesting to see:

How much maintance needs to be done to a prerunner in terms of intervals of servicing for the various parts by the following categories:

*Coil-over front A-arm long travel suspension:
-ball joints
-seals for shock
-coil springs
-steering
-uniballs
-arm mounts
-bushing/ heims
-brakelines
-shock mounts

*I-Beam suspension
-adjustment cams
-I-beam mounts
-bushings/heims
-radius arm mounts
-brakelines
-coil springs
-shock mounts
-uniballs
-steering

*Leaf Spring Rear with shocks
-leaf springs
-shock mounts
-brake lines
-bushings/heims
-shackles
-rear end gearing/locker

*3-link/4-link set-up
-seals for shock
-coil springs
-link arms
-link arm mounts
-bushing/ heims
-brakelines
-shock mounts
-rear end gearing/locker

*Fuel Cell
-fuel cell
-fuel lines
-fuel pump
-fuel filter

Is a 3 or 4 link too much for a street driven truck (driven typically 15 miles a day)? What are the benefits and shortcomings of using a truck with a 3/4 link on the street?

Thanks,

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Skyler, you drive it till it breaks and then say fu&k it and keep on drivin!

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

mgobaja

The amount of maintnence you want to do is dependent on the level of reliability you are looking for. You need to maintain at least basic fluid changes and inspection of major moving suspension parts. If you plan on driving it on the street that becomes even more important. If you have the time to strip it down after every major prerun it might keep you from walking in the future.

Mike

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Mike is right pre-RUNNING is a term not to be taken literally, in other words, pre run a race on BFG's not your Nike's! Just know how all your stuff works and keep an eye on it for any signs of acting up. As far as comparing one thing to the other (link vs leaf, A's vs I's), every thing has its strong and weak points, maintenance is just part of the game no matter what route you go. Sure there is more to know on a prerunner but isn't it worth it?