• Forum membership has its advantages....

Make Baja safer - helicopters at night and more

johndjmix

Let's get this started. Something needs to be done here. No negative "can't be done" comments here.

Let's talk about how we are going to get the helicopter at night allowed, talking to score about it, etc.

Also, possible improvements to race vehicles from the things we have learned from past crashes.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

pdailey

Racer
Let's get this started. Something needs to be done here. No negative "can't be done" comments here.

Let's talk about how we are going to get the helicopter at night allowed, talking to score about it, etc.

Also, possible improvements to race vehicles from the things we have learned from past crashes.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com
Need Rogers contact info?

dan200

#BSF200
I think what is necessary to fly a helo there at night is a FLIR system. I think that's a military thermal image deal. I also am unsure I am correct but this is what I have been told.

I know next to nothing about these systems and might be repeating bad info here but I do trust who i heard this from and they said themselves they were under informed

The rule was though all helos had to be on the ground at 4:45. 30 min before dusk. SCORE could do nothing about it.

Last edited:

johndjmix

Yes, PM me contact info and I'll be sure this entire thread gets to him.

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
He's got FB too.

Again though, it's not Roger's call on the legal matters. You seem to keep forgetting or overlooking this HUGE detail.

I know you're gung ho about this and I would recommend that you first do your research on the legality and or permits required before you further inundate RDC and or Roger with this request.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

buckwild

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com
Look at a map see where Mexico City is that's where the rules are made Ensenada is a flea on the dogs back in that country they're not going to change the no fly rules because some American is not happy with what's going on in Ensenada

JRod

fast-aid.org

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com
Did you read the other thread about the Baja rescue helo update? It had some good info regarding what it would take to get this ball rolling.

Wendell #527

You are acting like the people that buy a house next to an airport and then gripe about the noise.

Last edited:

JCAraiza

Ensenada and the Baja 1000 are not an important enough reason to change the law. If you want to make them change the law you have to address the congress in Mexico City, in fact, this is a military/public safety concern.

I wish we would have helo flights at night during the races, as a Mexican I'm 100% sure they just will laugh at you.

I wish you good luck for all of us.

johndjmix

Yea saw the other thread after I started this one.

So it Looks like they already have permission. (Who was it here saying it's "impossible"???)

Let's move this discussion to the other thread.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Yea saw the other thread after I started this one.

So it Looks like they already have permission. (Who was it here saying it's "impossible"???)

Let's move this discussion to the other thread.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com
Keep it positive. No one said it was impossible. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Plus, they stated they have "preliminary" approval so don't count your chickens yet.

I know you're extremely passionate about this and I really agree that it should be available, but I do believe you should be able to accept that it's going to be harder than anyone expects, more costly than anyone wants to pay for, and as stated, it will take extensive training and even then, the helo can only land in certain designated areas that have been previously scouted.

Be a little more open to some of the issues and maybe stop jumping into conclusions that it's a done deal. Far from it. I'm sure it will takes a long time before this is up and running, but if you're really interested in getting this going, contact the people pushing for it and help them organize rather than pushing and pushing with the same thing on many threads on RDC.

My $0.02

Dirty Harry

Why don't we start by not having two way traffic as part of the course before we starting trying to fly helicopters at night?

JaysinDesignz

two way traffic isn't the problem at a controlled 60mph.
#1 pits only on same side of the road. No pits opposite side.
#2 LED lights, no top bar on or more than 2 lower LEDS on.
#3 Exiting or entering hwy pits must be done in a safe manner.
No entering the hwy if you have view of another racer approaching with in so many yards.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
two way traffic isn't the problem at a controlled 60mph.
#1 pits only on same side of the road. No pits opposite side.
#2 LED lights, no top bar on or more than 2 lower LEDS on.
#3 Exiting or entering hwy pits must be done in a safe manner.
No entering the hwy if you have view of another racer approaching with in so many yards.
Maybe it isn't the ONLY problem, but it would minimize, if not eliminate the risk of a head on collision.

RedPhive

I think what is necessary to fly a helo there at night is a FLIR system. I think that's a military thermal image deal. I also am unsure I am correct but this is what I have been told.
No! A FLIR (Forward Looking InfraRed) camera is not required to land at night, and if anything, is a distraction to the pilot. Some fixed-wing business jets have a static FLIR camera in the nose that aids them in seeing the runway while landing during sh!tty conditions (clouds, fog, etc), but this is a very different type of landing evolution.

Many helicopters have a FLIR turret, usually on the nose, that can be slewed around to look at stuff. See here:

But in a helicopter, using the FLIR to help you land can be highly-disorienting since the pilot is heads-down looking at a screen instead of looking outside where he needs to be picking up visual cues about his surroundings. What you need are Night Vision Goggles, training, and experience.