Make shop class great again!

bullnerd

RDC Crypto

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
My local school district used a bond to completely rebuild their AG and Shop building. They are open to the public to bring projects in. Pay for parts and you can get a free paint job or repair done to your vehicle.

I think it is awesome to teach young people to work with their hands. College is completely over rated and over priced!

DuaneH

RDC Crypto
Been a huge advocate for years on this topic! I am where I am in life due to 2 teachers and what they taught me. My metal shop teacher and my Motorcycle engine repair classes many years ago in High School. Two of my 4 son's went through welding classes in high school (at night) and became certified in two different disciplines of welding. All four took Visual / Media arts (hands on Photography/ Graphic artist stuff) My oldest does well at fabricating off road stuff and is very mechanical, he has built some nice vehicles and components. My middle son has a successful photography business (Weddings, Motorsports, Real Estate) Another went into Vinyl graphics, Wraps, detailing and photography (shot over 2k pics at the Mint 8 years ago) unfortunately he passed due to a distracted driver. My youngest received a scholarship in high school for the Media arts. So yeah, Vocational Tech is very much needed in High Schools!

DuaneH

RDC Crypto
Wrote this 6 years ago to then Governor Brown....never got a response....
Dear Governor Brown,
I have some concerns and really do not know if you have been brought up to speed regarding the Vocational Technical programs throughout the Grossmont Union High School District, as well I am sure others in the state.

I would like to provide a little history regarding myself as well as a few of my peers.
My background professionally is one of Manufacturing, started at the company I am still employed at when I was 18 years old (prior to graduating high school)and have progressed through Production, Quality Control, and Environmental and Safety roles of responsibility.
In the 35 years I have been employed at this firm we have hired many employees that participated in the Grossmont Union School District's Vocational Tech programs and many of these employees have had very successful careers at this company and many have moved on to new careers in the same vein of manufacturing.
I have 5 kids that are gainfully employed or participating in high school at this time. All 5 are tax paying citizens, one is employed by the Federal Government (SSA) 1/2 semester at a CC. Two are employed at a engineering firm one with some college, but certified in two welding disciplines through the Vo Tec program at El Cajon Valley High School, as well as experience in Machine shop Technology, and Auto Shop Technology in High school. One is taking a full load of classes at the CC level and working 16- 20 hrs a week. My youngest are still active in High School (and working 16-20 hrs a week) and the classes that should be there are no longer being offered.
I recently found this out when I decided to return to school and could not get into the class I wanted to take as a "Hobby" class to work on my projects at night. So in discussing with my Senior and Freshmen students at home (the freshmen being one of the most mechanical kids I know) they said the classes are not there. So I discussed with my ROP instructor who told me the Class that taught me safety responsibility, measurement tools, Lathes, Mills, Welding, etc. are no longer being offered even though the equipment is in pristine shape it really makes me ask the question what about the kids who will not go to College? There are kids/ families who can't afford Higher Education without Financial aid (who does that help?) Student loans = with interest? (who does that help?) Technical Colleges where the cost is extravagant, but the students do gain real life experience.
I can honestly say this worries me, as well as many of my professional peers. This County (San Diego) State (California) and Country cannot afford to pay for non-value added employment. There are hundreds of thousands of College educated employees working at minimum wage jobs or unemployed, that have to pay back the loans presented to them when they were attending school. This troubles me, not that they borrowed the money and are struggling to pay it back, but the fact is they could have completed classes in High School that would present them with a trade......many different trades even. I have friends that own their own businesses in Auto Body and Paint, Machining, General Contracting, Cabinet Making, Automotive repair, Appliance Repair etc. These same people didn't take the higher level classes in High School, some went back at a time in their lives where they could take classes to improve their business, and also at a time when they could afford it and were in a better situation to learn.
I would enjoy the opportunity to discuss one on one with you or for you to tour some of the campus's and talk to some of the citizens of this state that went through the programs offered at that time.
I worry based on what I have witnessed what will become of the state if we do not offer the basic classes for our students to learn fundamental skills at a level that is needed to survive. Not everyone will become Doctors, Lawyers, Politicians, Analysts we will still need the trades to perform tasks that are required to survive.