• Forum membership has its advantages....

Man! I love my Raptor!!!!!

Joxracing

I have 130K on mine. Just re-packed the wheel bearings and had a seal weeping on trans, but that was due to overdriving.

Best truck I have ever owned.

Selling my Gen2. I don't like it nearly as well.
Thanks Mark. Sounds like all decent things from everyone who owns them. Ive wanted one since they came out when I was in highschool and Im finally mildly in a position to pick up a used one and Im stoked.

The downfall is i'll be commuting 120mi a day round trip, all 55mph highway so fuel economy makes me nervous. Looking online seems some people average 15-ish with the 6.2 highway driving, does this sound realistic? I could be happy with that considering that sounds like every other truck out there fuel mileage wise.

Thanks!

Joxracing

DeRaRa

20 miles per day street only, 300 miles mostly highway on weekends going out to desert. Even driving lets say to Vegas from LA the best I've ever got was maybe 12.5. Driving hard in the dirt will drop it into single digits.

Chris Tobin

Thanks Mark. Sounds like all decent things from everyone who owns them. Ive wanted one since they came out when I was in highschool and Im finally mildly in a position to pick up a used one and Im stoked.

The downfall is i'll be commuting 120mi a day round trip, all 55mph highway so fuel economy makes me nervous. Looking online seems some people average 15-ish with the 6.2 highway driving, does this sound realistic? I could be happy with that considering that sounds like every other truck out there fuel mileage wise.

Thanks!
If that is your commute you need to get a commuter vehicle and truck, just for the weekends... When I still lived in SoCal I bought a Honda VFR800 just for my commute and the fuel savings alone payed the payment in addition to the time saved not sitting in traffic!!!!

Seriously, do the math and you could probably buy an older Honda Civic, VW TDI or some other similar fuel mileage friendly car to use for your commute AND the truck without spending any more a month since you wont be paying so much for fuel driving the gas guzzler for your daily commute!!!

johndjmix

You might want to consider a new raptor. I get around 17.4mpg all around in my 2018, my 2014 was lucky to get 12.8. Depending on how much you drive that’s quite a savings in fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

BajaJT

A word of warning, in Ensenda last week end, we valeted the truck, someone disconnected the horn (of course,stupid me left the security code in the glove box) while at a party someone used the code to open the truck and steal some items, most importantly was Passports and Global Entry cards and a bit of cash.

We spent two hours with the police to report it, so it would be relatively painless going back across the border, but Richard Cranium was at the gate, but we are back now filling out the lost forms and checking to see if Progressive covers any theft in Mexico, our Mexican insurance does not.

Lesson learned here is take the code out of the truck, tape the horn connection and possibly put a second alarm in the truck.

Cuban Mike

Too bad Ford built its off-road “BEAST” with a 6 banger and had to hang 2 turbos on it to make power. Add a ridiculous 10speed automatic transmission (what’s next a Japanese CVT?) and then rap it in a fragile aluminum body. Make the regular F150 the fuel miser and let the crew at SVT build some optional drivetrains! And yes..still some red blooded Americans around that don’t care about saving gas money and want a V8 to make our trucks sound like a truck and not like a Nissan Maxima. My little “thingy” shrivels up when I here a 6 cylinder screaming and bulges when it hears cubic inches. Enjoy all that gas money, I’m praying for the normally aspirated 7 liter

BigBlue&Goldie

You should post up some pictures of the GMC in your avatar so we can see what a real offroad beast looks like......you know, the one that makes less power than the V6 without turbos.

Cuban Mike

hijack a Raptor thread with pics from my worn out GMC would be unfair to the Ford community, instead I'd like to know when did you cruise over to my house and open my hood to see what's under it? Take turbos off that little low compression 3.5 and I'll side swipe that aluminum Ford and peel it like a sardine can! Don't hate, just because I'm not making a truck payment doesn't mean I can't criticize Fords attempts to get more MPG's. Remember, if fuel was cheap or if you had enough money you would never pick a v6 over a v8. NEVER!!

pdailey

Racer
Too bad Ford built its off-road “BEAST” with a 6 banger and had to hang 2 turbos on it to make power. Add a ridiculous 10speed automatic transmission (what’s next a Japanese CVT?) and then rap it in a fragile aluminum body. Make the regular F150 the fuel miser and let the crew at SVT build some optional drivetrains! And yes..still some red blooded Americans around that don’t care about saving gas money and want a V8 to make our trucks sound like a truck and not like a Nissan Maxima. My little “thingy” shrivels up when I here a 6 cylinder screaming and bulges when it hears cubic inches. Enjoy all that gas money, I’m praying for the normally aspirated 7 liter
LOL. I get better gas mileage in my Gen 2 than my Gen 1. I'll take more power, torque and better gas mileage all day long. Gen 2 > Gen 1. Your post is bad and you should feel bad. :)

Crusty Shellback

OK, so honestly guys, who actually buys a truck like the Raptor, or any performance vehicle for the gas mileage?
You know the only way to get the EPA numbers is to be pussyfooting it down the highway at 65 MPH with only you and a 1/4 tank of gas, no cargo or extra weight allowed.

I didn't go and buy my Hyundai Genesis just for the luxury and MPG, but for the 430 HP V8 sitting under the hood. Nor did I build my K5 Blazer motor with 425 Ft Lbs of torque thinking I could get better than 10 MPG out of it.

I'm holding out for the RAM Rebel TRX in a few years with the 707 HP Hellcat motor, not because it might get a V6 with good gas mileage.

Be honest with yourself.

dan200

#BSF200
Take turbos off that little low compression 3.5 and I'll side swipe that aluminum Ford and peel it like a sardine can! Don't hate, just because I'm not making a truck payment doesn't mean I can't criticize Fords attempts to get more MPG's. Remember, if fuel was cheap or if you had enough money you would never pick a v6 over a v8. NEVER!!
The 2014 came from the factory with 411 HP. The 2017 comes from the factory with 450 HP. (that's more)

The Aluminum F-150 beat all the other brands of trucks as far as safety went according to the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) while coming in like 500 pounds lighter than it's old version.

You make some great points- NOBODY wants a faster, lighter, safer truck that gets better mileage. They just want cool exhaust noise and to stop for gas more often.

Crusty Shellback

But Dan, did you really buy the truck for the gas mileage? Or for the fun/cool factor? :)

And a 400 + HP twin turbo V6 is fine in my book. Ain't technology wonderful.
If you are so stuck in the 70's with wanting the big V8 sound, you can always pipe in the sound like a lot of manufactures are doing. Or jut pull out that old cassette you have and play the intro to Van Halens Hot for Teacher.

Last edited:

dan200

#BSF200
But Dan, did you really buy the truck for the gas mileage? Or for the fun/cool factor? :)

And a 400 + HP twin turbo V6 is fine in my book. Ain't technology wonderful.
OH, I don't have a raptor. But I have driven them all. (one of the few perks of being me) First gen with the 5.4. First gen with the 6.2 and a then later with a whipple supercharger added to it. I also have put a few thousand miles on pdaileys gen one and gen two. And I have driven the first "eco boost" raptor which our shop made out of an F-150 back in like 2010 or 2011. Also, I rode shotgun in what I think is the worlds only stick shift 6.2 supercharged raptor.

Our SDHQ Eco Raptor friggin' scooted. I was my bosses truck and off the line it blew away the owners 6.2 with a blower. Now, the eco was on 35 inch tires and the 6.2 had 37's so its not exactly fair to compare them but, I liked the EcoBoost truck better out of those ones our shop had. We did a lot of eco raptor conversions at the shop before Ford decided to copy us. LOL

Forced Induction is a cool thing.

Crusty Shellback

What's the old hotrodder saying?
" I'd rather be Blown then bottle fed" ;)
I ran a 383 SBC stroker with a B&M blower pushing 6 lbs of boost in my '63 chevy truck as my daily driver. People would ask why? My answer, because I can.

So you've driven just about every iteration of Raptor that's out there. So yea, I'd say you have a bit of knowledge on them. :)

Cuban Mike

The 2014 came from the factory with 411 HP. The 2017 comes from the factory with 450 HP. (that's more)

The Aluminum F-150 beat all the other brands of trucks as far as safety went according to the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety (IIHS) while coming in like 500 pounds lighter than it's old version.

You make some great points- NOBODY wants a faster, lighter, safer truck that gets better mileage. They just want cool exhaust noise and to stop for gas more often.

Attachments