manual transmission behind v8

85yota

Reaction
Ok so i'm getting ready to build a new 1400 toyota. it's gonna be running about a 375-400Hp small block chevy along with a 9". I'm gonna be running a manual transmission behind it and have been looking at several options. I don't have $5000 to spend on one so a take out of say a camero or something like that would be great. I've so far been looking at the t5 and t56 but the t56 is quite a bit more money. What transmission would be a good option for a 4500lb 400hp truck running 35's. I've heard the t5's don't last but post up what transmission's you've had good luck with and where you got them from. Thanks.

SimonSays

Reaction
Website
www.Thefactoryracing.com
Ok so i'm getting ready to build a new 1400 toyota. it's gonna be running about a 375-400Hp small block chevy along with a 9". I'm gonna be running a manual transmission behind it and have been looking at several options. I don't have $5000 to spend on one so a take out of say a camero or something like that would be great. I've so far been looking at the t5 and t56 but the t56 is quite a bit more money. What transmission would be a good option for a 4500lb 400hp truck running 35's. I've heard the t5's don't last but post up what transmission's you've had good luck with and where you got them from. Thanks.

tremek is a good choice they are about 2k new available in either 5 or 6 speed. or just pull one out of a corvette, mustang cobra, or viper for the 6speed

85yota

Reaction
i've heard from a couple guys not to bother with the t5, and that even with minimal plunge they couldn't keep the internals alive in them. I'd love to run a t56 but they are hard to find used and are pretty pricey to get a complete one.

SimonSays

Reaction
Website
www.Thefactoryracing.com
i've heard from a couple guys not to bother with the t5, and that even with minimal plunge they couldn't keep the internals alive in them. I'd love to run a t56 but they are hard to find used and are pretty pricey to get a complete one.

the t -5 is useless for offroad, we ran one on our class 7 truck back in the day, made it threw laughin and 5miles into san felipe prerunning before it grenaded put in the spare and 30miles into the race the next day it blew out also.

philofab

Powered by Optima
Reaction
Nothing against manuals but you'd be far better off with a Turbo 400. Cheaper too. T5s are junk, and I'm not sure how long a T-56 would last with all the driveline shock. Tremec is a stronger choice.

SimonSays

Reaction
Website
www.Thefactoryracing.com
Nothing against manuals but you'd be far better off with a Turbo 400. Cheaper too. T5s are junk, and I'm not sure how long a T-56 would last with all the driveline shock. Tremec is a stronger choice.

cheeper? how you figure, you buy anykinda th400 thats gonna hold up on a 500hp truck its gonna be 5k buy the time its built. and your gonna be loosing trannys from time to time, no matter how big of a transmission cooler you put on the thing. and you rebuild the auto once its gonna be 3k

or you can call up tremek and order a brand new 6speed out of a viper that you know can handle the power just fine for around 2k. we run the 5spd version on our truck and have had it in our race truck for 5 years and just bent a shift fork on 3rd gear at the 1000, we took off the top cover straightened the shift fork and kept going after the race took it in had it rebuild for 700bucks.

philofab

Powered by Optima
Reaction
Where did you get a viperized T-56 for 2k? D & D Performance charges $3200. I'll buy one for my street car for that price to replace the crappy T-5. Although a name brand T-400 like Culhane and Mogi or up there in price, a T400 is a simple and tough trans and will happily handle 500 hp (or his 400hp) with a lesser known builders 1.5 to 2K rebuild.

What engine does your race truck have for motivation that a TKO 5 speed lasted behind it for 5 years? I assume it's a comparable truck?

SimonSays

Reaction
Website
www.Thefactoryracing.com
Where did you get a viperized T-56 for 2k? D & D Performance charges $3200. I'll buy one for my street car for that price to replace the crappy T-5. Although a name brand T-400 like Culhane and Mogi or up there in price, a T400 is a simple and tough trans and will happily handle 500 hp (or his 400hp) with a lesser known builders 1.5 to 2K rebuild.

What engine does your race truck have for motivation that a TKO 5 speed lasted behind it for 5 years? I assume it's a comparable truck?

look in the mustang magizines i see adds for the tremec transmisions all the time for cheep.

its been in a 5000lb 7 open truck with a 350hp v6, 35baja's and 5.67 gears

philofab

Powered by Optima
Reaction
Thats good to know. My only experiance with the Tremec and T-56 trans is in high HP street cars. I now have another option for my Yota instead of an auto.

SimonSays

Reaction
Website
www.Thefactoryracing.com
Thats good to know. My only experiance with the Tremec and T-56 trans is in high HP street cars. I now have another option for my Yota instead of an auto.

there are a couple different output and input shafts, depending on if you want a ford or chevy or mopar clutch.

we may not be running a v8 but class 7 trucks are known for taking out trans just as much as class 8, most the time for the trans problems are driveline impact or heat anyway, not hp.

we have had to change our clutch a couple times, from the driveline impact we have broken the springs out of the clutch and stipped the center spline out. But we just plan on replacing the clutch every year and a half now to make sure they dont break.

85yota

Reaction
what spline would I need to run behind a chevy v8. Can the viper trans be ran behind the v8,I found one for 1200 complete with clutch and everything. But i'm expecting i'd have to change quite a bit to mate it to the small block chevy. I'll keep my eyes out for a camero or corvette one if the viper couldn't be made to work without too much trouble.

85yota

Reaction
any luck with the TKO 500's or TKO600. I've been looking at the TKO600 Road race transmission with a .82 overdrive instead of the .74 overdrive and they say it's good for 650hp. Any experiences with either of those transmission's/

SimonSays

Reaction
Website
www.Thefactoryracing.com
any luck with the TKO 500's or TKO600. I've been looking at the TKO600 Road race transmission with a .82 overdrive instead of the .74 overdrive and they say it's good for 650hp. Any experiences with either of those transmission's/

the tremek transmisions can be put on to many different lakewood belhousings that will fit many different engine blocks, the belhousings can be ordered from the same place you get the trans.

if you got the viper trans worst case you would have to buy a belhousing and a clutch kit for a chevy and put the viper clutch into the chevy pressure plate.

the tremek tko 500 i believe as discontinued and replaced by the tko 600

the tremek tko 600 is the one we run on our race truck it has the chevy clutch splines on the front and ford c6 slipe yoke on the back. we just picked up a spare from down in la for $1975.00 plus tax, with free shipping. they are so competitive with there prices because this is such a common swap for mustangs.

previous to the tko 600 we ran the tremek 3550 it lasted 2 years before it needed to be rebuilt, the biggest reason we went up to the tko 600 over the 3550 is for the rear yoke, the tko600 uses the same yoke as the c6 so you can put in the big 1350 u joint, where the tko3550 uses the same slip yoke as the t-56 and t-5 using the 1330 ujoint

we run the lower ratio and we can hardly use 5th, i cant imagine what more of an overdrive would do, make it even more gutless. with our 5.67 gears we hit 114 in 4th on the dry lake bed shift to 5th and start slowing down!!!!! fast!!! maybe the extra torque and hp of the v8 will help but in our truck the less overdrive the better.

85yota

Reaction
yeah I've been seeing the tko600 for around 2K and even some for a bit cheaper when they're used. Thanks for the help, I'm gonna do a little more research and I'll post up what I decide to run. Any other suggestions on sticks to run behind the v8??

MH20

Reaction
We're currently installing a TKO600 behind a 302 in ranger with a McLeod SFI bellhousing. We got the 0.82 road race version for the exact reasons that are mentioned above. We also have the large 1350 output u joint.

85yota

Reaction
ok so after pricing out all the stuff to run a tko600 it's a little more than i'm looing to spend with the 2K for transmission, then flywheels, clutch, throughout bearing, bellhousing etc.. I've been looking now at the tremec 3550 which I understand is very similar to the TKO600 and TKo500. How do those last under the harsh desert driving. are the internals that much better on the tko600 to spend the extra $1000 over a 3550. Thanks.

SimonSays

Reaction
Website
www.Thefactoryracing.com
ok so after pricing out all the stuff to run a tko600 it's a little more than i'm looing to spend with the 2K for transmission, then flywheels, clutch, throughout bearing, bellhousing etc.. I've been looking now at the tremec 3550 which I understand is very similar to the TKO600 and TKo500. How do those last under the harsh desert driving. are the internals that much better on the tko600 to spend the extra $1000 over a 3550. Thanks.

we have run both in our race truck and neither have had big problems but the tko 600 allows for stronger u-joint and clutch. so with the 3550 your more likly to have clutch or u-joint problems