• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mark Miller who?

michael_loomis

KBM signed Monster last year for both he and his brother in Nationwide. About a year ago today. NOS started scaling back a couple years ago in stock car racing.

The Hummer wasn't selling. That's why GM axed is and no one, not even the Chinese were willing to pay for the brand.
Actually, the Chinese were. The government there disallowed it I believe. (not that that is saying much)

blue dog

2009, before that 96. And for the record, the hummer is a POS, H1, H2, AND H3, that is why they were killed.

michael_loomis

Ya I just corrected myself. Correcting you. Lol

Having driven H1, both 6.5 and Duramax, and H2's.. I disagree. Sure, they aren't ultra luxury, but hell they will go anywhere. H2's are just 3/4 ton tahoes.

TRUKTOR

My post is in response to Fly, In response to the title of the thread, Good for Mark Miller for speaking his peace, seemed pretty spot on to me. Good for Gordon wanting to do it HIS way, more power to him, does he go about it in the correct manner ? you make the call. What would life be like if he was a team player for a big $$$ Nascar team ? And he just showed up an drove with a team of guys on the field { keeping his attitude to himself. Huh ! TOP TIER. He will never be a top nascar driver/owner/builder on his own. I believe he will be successful in Dakar One day, but i believe it will take a team effort, Not one man, and one machine.
Loomis, what years was RG a tt champion in score ? He has won races in his own trophy truck, but when was he the Year or years he was the season champion ? I am too lazy to google this wealth of knowledge.
I don't hate on RG, i just could care less for his ego and pedestal that he thinks he lives on, the fans do seem to love him in South AMerica, and i enjoy watching the daily videos of his progress, but, if i had a super uber caffein drink i wanted to promote, Rg would not be the poster child for my get up and go super energy soda that tastes like melted sweet tarts.
Flame on RDC king pins of the RG world.
For the record De villiers in his Imperial Toyota was my pick from the get go. Until Mark Miller returns or Arciero, or me in my Kamaz t4
I was not taking aim at you, sometimes the way things post up it seems like there is a connection, when it is not
Intended.

blue dog

Ya I just corrected myself. Correcting you. Lol

Having driven H1, both 6.5 and Duramax, and H2's.. I disagree. Sure, they aren't ultra luxury, but hell they will go anywhere. H2's are just 3/4 ton tahoes.
H1 with 6.5 = gutless, H1 alpha duramax = you will know the service manager at your dealer on a first name basis, = problematic vehicle. And drives like poo poo. Have you ever seen a H2 off road ? H2 = fail, H3, need i go on ?
Sorry for the derailment of the thread, but it is the web and my attention span is minimal at best, OH! LOOK ! shinny thing, doughnut.

OFFRD-JNKIE

I'd like to see Rob Mac drive in Dakar...that is all.

michael_loomis

It would be great to see Mark and Rob race. When those guys get good and team ownership as they are at driving, hopefully they can scrape up the funds to go racing the way RG has.

vegasloki

Actually, the Chinese were. The government there disallowed it I believe. (not that that is saying much)
Yep, that's exactly what happened. The bidder was a small heavy equipment manufacturer with no international auto experience and questioning about where the money was from and how they would be able to turn it around. The Hummer division went up for sale well before the bankruptcy, about 13 months or so. It was cheap too at US$150 mil. Sales dropped from around 56k units in 2007 to 9k units in 2010.

REEVESRacing

Yeah, me too.
All of the speed and skill, but none of the drama, might I say.
Drama sells...

(Marks FB fan page got 1 "like" and 0 (zero) comments for his link to the radio bash on RG.. (I am a fan of MM, but not sure of the purpose of publicly bashing RG, could it be.... drama???)

Gas on!

Short Bus

I cringed a few times listening to things RG said leading up to the race this year. Now I get the same feeling listening to MM in this interview. I think you can make valid criticism without being insulting. Both these guys are clumsy about it.

BoothPacific Films

I cringed a few times listening to things RG said leading up to the race this year. Now I get the same feeling listening to MM in this interview. I think you can make valid criticism without being insulting. Both these guys are clumsy about it.
fortunate for them ( and us) they go like hell in the desert.

BajaFand

I am a fan of MM but in the interview he comes off as being completely against the RG/American way of doing things. By "American way" I mean 2wd buggy. Just because for a few years he had a factory ride with VW, he promotes the Euro way of doing it as well as his non-American teammates. I disagree with this. I don't understand what RG did to put such a bad taste in his mouth about his program. I do agree that Robby should let his driving do the talking more often than not, but he has proved these last two years that his vehicle is dialed, the navigation is good, the team is excellent, and the car is plenty fast and reliable enough to win the rally. RG admitted it was his own driving mistakes that cost him the rally this year and there is no reason this team can't go out and win the Dakar.

I also disagree with the way he talks about Baja in the interview. Now that he is a rally star he kind of makes it sound like Baja is just a bunch of rednecks screwing around in the desert and not a real race with real competition in comparison to Dakar. Don't get me wrong, all of the top 10 drivers and vehicles from Dakar are some of the best in the world, but that doesn't mean they can come to Baja and make our heros look like a joke. The competition in Baja is so close and there are so many good drivers these days, it wouldn't be as easy as he thinks for MM himself, or Peterhansel, or De Villiars, or Nasser. They have the ability to do well, but not right off the bat.

That being said, if Rob Mac had a competitive ride with good equipment in the Dakar I truly believe he could smoke the field. Rob Mac is in my opinion the best off-road driver there has ever been (better than RG), I'd really like to see what he could do against Peterhansel and Nasser.

OttoTeller

"You did insult him a lil bit"

Wow great thread, bummed I never checked this forum before. Lots of good posts on here.

A waste of 5 min of radio airtime, he should've talked about something positive about the DAKAR, even if contrived. Miller seems to simply state the obvious about RG and in doing so makes himself look well beneath that. If I was Millers PR guy, I would have him do a narrative about "how America can win".
(The only saving face for MM is that he ain't afraid to talk smack on the phone-lol) RG should challenge MM to a boxing match at this years Off Road Expo.

I know both of these guys fairly well but only from a journalistic perspective so I doubt they privately show their true selves to me.

BUT, after i spent the ENTIRE 2011 DAKAR rally as an embedded journalist in with VW Motorsports with thanks to Miller and RDC, I got a really good vista of where these two guys are different and that's all we're really talking about here. RG is not so humble and Miller thinks that the reason he hasn't won yet.

Miller on the other hand comes of as quite reserved, tactful and relatively humble in person, so it surprises me that he would WASTE 5 min of radio like this.

BTW: After seeing first hand up close what goes on at the "world's largest and most widely visible motorsports event", I can tell something about RG's marketability to a sponsor outside of the US vs Miller's.

I read some spray on here about how RG isn't marketable. At this point in time, RG is worth $5MM (US$) to a major advertiser in South America just for 1 DAKAR rally. I am sorry but for anyone who hasn't seen the South American Version of the rally in person, the images and footage we see here on NBC Sports doesn't really show the impact RG has on the fanatical people in south america-it trumps anything any of us have seen in BAJA. In Europe, Carlton Kirby, the famed sports announcer for Eurosport puts RG on a pedestal twice a day for 15 days and nights. Every one of the 2 dozen motorsports journalists I travelled with all took an interest in RG, the German and Austrian writers simply worshipped him. I tried to break the news to them that back home in the US and Baja, that RG'a attitude was frowned upon by fellow competitors, promoters and some fans. They couldn't understand the concept just like they could not fathom the concept of NASCAR and why it was worth $.

Mark Miller is world class, european rally raid driver trapped in Arizona. I would love to see him get a ride again and win the DAKAR for the US.
But little publicity stunts like this do nothing to help that cause.

NCwilbur

Why is everyone so against other parties instead of trying to possibly get plan to win this thing instead of being the 3 ring circus being show? Robby is who he is and I like him for the raw emotion that comes out at any given moment and he has the ability to just take Dakar. We have seen him year after year be one of few who people are worried about or watching him like a hawk. If he was always deep in the field, I highly doubt we would have had nearly the issues with his penalties as we did.

Mark spoke his mind and I might not agree with everything, I do respect him as he has more knowledge than I do. I'm curious has he ever driven one of the Hummers? I thought he was trying to get to Dakar in one of them this year or was I mistaken.

I know that it seems the Mini/VW style 4wd cars are proven winners but as soon as you see a 2wd buggy overall the race, some will jump ship. We already seen what Nassar felt was better choice even though he could have had anything built he wanted. At any rate, I really hope Robby can win it next year and I will once again pull for him regardless! I'd pull for any American in it even if state side I disliked everything about them, I just want the rest of field to know we can beat them.

Ferrari333SP

"You did insult him a lil bit"

Wow great thread, bummed I never checked this forum before. Lots of good posts on here.

A waste of 5 min of radio airtime, he should've talked about something positive about the DAKAR, even if contrived. Miller seems to simply state the obvious about RG and in doing so makes himself look well beneath that. If I was Millers PR guy, I would have him do a narrative about "how America can win".
(The only saving face for MM is that he ain't afraid to talk smack on the phone-lol) RG should challenge MM to a boxing match at this years Off Road Expo.

I know both of these guys fairly well but only from a journalistic perspective so I doubt they privately show their true selves to me.

BUT, after i spent the ENTIRE 2011 DAKAR rally as an embedded journalist in with VW Motorsports with thanks to Miller and RDC, I got a really good vista of where these two guys are different and that's all we're really talking about here. RG is not so humble and Miller thinks that the reason he hasn't won yet.

Miller on the other hand comes of as quite reserved, tactful and relatively humble in person, so it surprises me that he would WASTE 5 min of radio like this.

BTW: After seeing first hand up close what goes on at the "world's largest and most widely visible motorsports event", I can tell something about RG's marketability to a sponsor outside of the US vs Miller's.

I read some spray on here about how RG isn't marketable. At this point in time, RG is worth $5MM (US$) to a major advertiser in South America just for 1 DAKAR rally. I am sorry but for anyone who hasn't seen the South American Version of the rally in person, the images and footage we see here on NBC Sports doesn't really show the impact RG has on the fanatical people in south america-it trumps anything any of us have seen in BAJA. In Europe, Carlton Kirby, the famed sports announcer for Eurosport puts RG on a pedestal twice a day for 15 days and nights. Every one of the 2 dozen motorsports journalists I travelled with all took an interest in RG, the German and Austrian writers simply worshipped him. I tried to break the news to them that back home in the US and Baja, that RG'a attitude was frowned upon by fellow competitors, promoters and some fans. They couldn't understand the concept just like they could not fathom the concept of NASCAR and why it was worth $.

Mark Miller is world class, european rally raid driver trapped in Arizona. I would love to see him get a ride again and win the DAKAR for the US.
But little publicity stunts like this do nothing to help that cause.

Exactly; you see all the fan-made videos on Youtube, of all the locals going absolutely bananas every time RG and his bright orange Hummer passes through. See the video of RG at the skate park, just messin' around? Absolutely brilliant; just adds to the mythos and likability of RG for the South American fans. And like you said, he was on the Eurosport broadcast nearly every day, even if he wasn't in the top three finishers of the day. In terms of marketing himself and his brand Speed Energy, thinking like a businss person, RG is going about it exactly the way he should

blue dog

He had a really tough time in BITD last year.
In a Geiser, backed by Clyde, with Geiser and RPM Support. Fly, do you have a RG is god tattoo ? Silly boy from Leona Valley. You should let RG drive the Iroc Maiden.

TRUKTOR

No matter What he was in, or who it was prepped by, RG handed it to the field. His driving did it, combined with a solid,Well-prepped vehicle. I don't think you can remove his driving performance from the winning of the class championship, and Give it all to the truck or the team. There was a driver in there every race, mainly beating some tough competition every
Race.

He romped.

Although he has had a series of mechanical issues with his own TT, that thing hauls the
Mail, and is far from a POS. I hope it is competitive at Parker, and all of the rotating masses stay together.
If nothing else, it sounds the best, since the Duralast screamer isn't running anymore.