• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mark Weyhrich rollover at the TT250

Eric_Record

I just added one more AWESOME video of the Mark Weyhrich rollover crash at Crystal. this is a MUST see. 1.6meg MPG file.

Special thanks to Bobby LeVeck from Towbin Infinity.

Go Desert Productions ~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.go-desert.com

jeff

I can't understand why someone would stand there filming accidents when they could be helping others avoid them! This is bullshit - what if somebody died in one of those accidents? Is getting some crash footage more important than a racers life? No f-ing way. I don't know what happened to the course markings... but I do know that there was a sufficient margin of safety that would've allowed a spectator or two to warn the racers of the danger. The people filming these wrecks went out to this specifc spot on the course because they wanted to film wrecks, not racers hauling ass or flying through the whoops, they sat there waiting for wrecks. I hope that the person or persons that removed the course markers understand they can be held liable for the injuries and damage caused during those wrecks. I bet it wouldn't be too hard to get a group of wrecked racers to put up a "REWARD" - a reward to anyone with information on who took the markers down. I'd put up $100 bucks to know who did it - anyone else?

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Jeff, I agree that if someone removed down arrows that they are very lame and wouldn't blame someone who crashed for seeking damages. But remember this is desert racing. Markers get run over or there are none. It is up to the driver to be able to read the terrain. I mean I rolled my 1 car in some whoops at an MDR race. Should I be mad because there was no marker or person telling me to slow down? Hey man you see someone with a video camera that is a good clue there is something coming ! I am not condoning not warning racers of dangers. Please by all means if you think someone might get hurt try to slow them down. But always remember crashing is part of racing ! If I have to die anywhere I want it to be in a race car HALLIN' AZZ!!!!!!!

Tony

rdc

after the second crash, the bitd "official truck" drove over and talked to the drivers, and then drove off. it seems that maybe he should of put up some markers or got on the radio and let race control know. the cars were going flat out coming to that jump, so getting in front of them to slow them down wasn't a safe option. the promoter should have a plan to deal with kind of stuff.

race trash wiring

Eric

After Running the Nevada 2000, I know Casey is meticulous about markers on the course.. If someone pulled the markers - then they truly suck - But as in all Mexico races - if you see a group of locals standing around, that IS the marker...

Besides that, this same bump was filmed last year and I am sure someone in the drivers meeting had to say something...

Eric
-------------------
Z-YA Racing

jeff

I agree that everyone has made good points... but here is how I see it. If you are standing on a public street and witness someone hit an unmarked obstacle and crash... and then watch another vehicle hit the same obstacle and crash... and then another... is it morally right to just stand there and watch people crash? How many people reading this would just sit there and watch car after car wreck? How many of you would try to help by alerting motorists that an obstacle of some type existed that required vehicles to SLOW DOWN? Standing there watching people wreck takes no balls whatsoever... going out there and trying to help prevent wrecks takes balls. Spectators are always willing to help push, pull, or even repair a vehicle when it's disabled - how many out there are trying to prevent the damn vehicle from becoming disabled? I've been in race vehicles that have crashed and wound up dead on the race course - should I just walk away and let it become "the other guys problem" - ??? If someone had died in one of those crashes, how would this forum respond then? All I want people to think about is this - we don't need injury in this sport and we don't need people dying in this sport, racers and spectators alike. I'm not saying spectators should warn drivers about every obstacle on the course... but if an obstacle is known to cause damage to a vehicle, why not do the "nice" thing and help warn others? What goes around comes around folks. When one of those spectators is killed by an out of control racer it won't be the drivers fault - but he or she will have to live with the guilt knowing they inadvertantly killed someone - the same goes for a spectator that witnesses a racer killed in an accident that could have been avoided.

Sure, off-road racing is a dangerous sport... yes, most drivers know to slow down when there are groups of spectators... yes, most drivers knew that area had a "gotcha" ... I just think that spectators, especially AMERICAN spectators, should appreciate and respect the racers enough to want to protect them from injury. Some posters on the original deZert people board are saying that people that wrecked should've had more rear travel - anyone know a vehicle that's set up much better than the Herbst Truggy? I can't imagine what would happen to racing if for some reason, God forbid, the "truggy" really wrecked and it's occupants were killed. What would that do to our sport?

rdc

To all you fellow spectators
Just keep this in mind. In this sport of off road racing the spectators can play a part in the action as well as just watch it. Case in point. At the 96’ Baja 500 a friend and myself were on the north side of Mike’s and there was a rise in the course. On the other side there were cattle crossing the course and stopping on the course. We waved off all the approaching racers (bikes, tt, & cl.1) and every single one slowed almost to a stop and for good reason. If we were not there who knows what could have happened. Case number 2. Scott (bajamic) and I were at the 500 a couple of years ago on the road north out of Santa Tomas. Ivan was stuck behind a semi with tons of on coming traffic. We could see when it was clear, waved him to go for it, and he did. Now that is trust!
So although it is not your OBLIGATION to help, why you wouldn’t is beyond me. Just my thought’s.

Shaun

rdc

Scott and Jeff, you are both good people !!! I agree with both of you 100%. But most people out there want to see the crashes so I am not sure things will change. I am sure that all the racers are thankful for your help and for people like you.

Tony

HTTP404

HI-8 Video camera: $759.00

TDK HI-8 blank video cassette: $4.65

Fuel for drive to race: $45.00

2 packs of Marlboros: $12.76

Egg McMuffin, hash browns, coffee: $4.15

Easily accessible location to spectate that has a nasty bump: Priceless

El Chinero

<<<But as in all Mexico races - if you see a group of locals standing around, that IS the marker...

>>>

Eric: that's a DOUBLE-ROGER. People = incident. However it would be mean-spirited NOT to wave 'em down! Cruel. Low.

tt

Tony T
El Chismoso

El Chinero

great shot
how? Jake the Snake?
where
Pacific coast of Baja? Llano Colorado?

tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Tony T
El Chismoso