Mason trophy trucks....the new standard???

Fire1998

Reaction
Andy McMillin takes his new Mason trophy truck on its first race and wins!! Sourapus takes his new all wheel drive truck and kills it at Laughlin with a truck that had only had 40 miles of testing on it!! This was the younger Sourapas's first victory. Is truck that much better than the Herbst truck?? Geiser has always been top dog but it looks like Mason is taking that spot. Pretty impressive to take a brand new all wheel drive with 40 miles on it and win first race out!!! With Menzies incredible run at V to R in his new all wheel drive truck....and now Sourapous....is all wheel drive the immediate future for a winning formula???

Jimmy8

Reaction
If you look at stage rally and what the time difference is in an open class 2wd vs. an open class AWD, the writing has been on the wall for quite some time. There is no comparison. It's just taken the technology and reliability to catch up to the crazy extremes of a Trophy Truck. Thanks to Pro-4's in shortcourse and what they have been doing in Ultra 4, the tech is now there. I said this last week on the national radio show, in the next 2-3 years every truck in the Trophy Truck field will be AWD or they will just be a donation. 2WD will be reserved for 6100.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
but if you want REALITY.......the first manufacturer to build one that can live in a 500+ mile race with an A+ and win it, WITH all the other A+ drivers/teams competing, THEN you will have something....thats REALITY.....christian did AWESOME, i saw it first hand, as did the truck, BUT....... and the fact that it had only 40 miles testing was a HUGE advantage, not a disadvantage, the entire truck was brand new, ADVANTAGE...... to me, bryces was was the most impressive so far, and it still didnt win/make it.......the future looks BRIGHT for the 4by4's in desert racing, especially when there is qualifying for the premium starting spots, they will soon DOMINATE the front spots and even robmac will concede he needs one......hate away....

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
and on another note....jason voss is arguably the "cream of the crop" and an A+ tt driver, and has 20, 50 100, times the tt experience as christian....and christian flat out BEAT him on saturday, i was IMPRESSED, i was watching live and didnt know who was driving it.......they started side by side, it was AWESOME to watch, like the old laughlin races.......christian drove a great race!!!! yes he quickly got out front but with the recent rains it was a race anyone could have won, it wasnt a track position race like 95% of desert races now......it was a WELL deserved first win for him....

calstyl2

Reaction
Just watching the Mason compared to the RPM truck was telling, braking and cornering seemed much better in the Mason from my few miles of observations.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
FWIW, Voss had a hurt motor. White smoke on day two on his second lap (and maybe his first)? I was told but did not see that he was stopping for oil at least once or twice before he pulled off.
CS had 2 perfect days. He earned his win but there wasn’t the big field or distance that puts shade on the victory. Which sucks because that dude is cool and if you heard him choking up on the podium while he talked about his first win you would know it meant a lot.

I’ve been paying attention and without a stopwatch or calculator it’s easy to see that the AWD just pulls out of the corners better and faster with minimal roost and tire spin. If you ask anyone who has driven both they will all tell you the 4x4 is the way.

And Pete is right. This argument can’t be settled till we see the top dogs go long distances against each other and we don’t have other factors like flats or popped motors screw up the math. I feel like 4wd is going to become “the way” and sooner than we think.

In a bizarro world where I could buy a TT it would be a 4wd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swiftracing5

Reaction
Also telling, all these fast trucks with good results are being set up by SDG shocks. Not a coincidence.

J Burleson

Reaction
Such a badass truck for sure! Congrats on the win! Its only a matter of time, but until AWD wins in Baja, its just a good idea. Obviously the more AWD trucks there are that take the green flag, the sooner that day will come.

isdtbower

Reaction
Available TT$$ will push the advancement of IFS. Clean Sheet thinking. Total Chassis thinking. New drive-train thinking. Payback to Ultra4 & maybe Pro4.

TT's don't necessarily need sharp turning, articulation (roll), and big tire stopping driveline survival like a Ultra4, but they do require ground clearance and longevity of parts which the Ultra4 guys are constantly fighting with good but traditional parts. It going to be fun all around.

PeteRock

Reaction
We also have to remember as far as i know this was the first real tt with portal hubs, which until now were way to big and heavy to be practical. That style of hub solves a lot of the issues of running long travel with 4x4.

g.out racing

Reaction
They need to separate 4wd and 2wd or else I think half the TT field will disappear. Promoters need to be smart and keep this sport going strong..

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

NIKAL

Reaction
The TT class is Unlimited. Which includes Unlimited chassis, suspension & drivetrain design. If you split the class, then you are saying that the class is not unlimited. Let the country clubbers cry! If they don’t want to step up to the latest & greatest technology, and be able to compete in the elite TT class, then they can switch engine platforms and race Spec TT.

There are reasons we have other classes. If you can’t afford or don’t have the ability to race in a class, you can always step down to another class that does fit your budget or abilities.

Should we also have two overalls so the two wheel drive TT guys can still say they won the overall too?

g.out racing

Reaction
Yeah that’s why there is Pro 2 and Pro 4. I’m just saying there is a lot of TT’s out there and I’m sure they won’t want a 6100 Engine in there TT. It’s called smart business keeping this sport alive or diminish it like class 1.

Slippery P

Reaction
The additional prep Cost is what will split the TT field 2wd-4wd, there are some who will not be willing to spend the extra 30k-50k worth of additional prep cost.

These trucks need more power to go fast, the standard 8stack SBC is no longer a viable engine package to push the 4wd truck around (if you want to be competitive) drive train costs go up, everything starts costing more money.
4wd will be dominating very soon but I just don’t see everyone selling the 2wd trucks and jumping on the bandwagon.

Dave Cole 4454

KING MAKER
Reaction
These trucks need more power to go fast, the standard 8stack SBC is no longer a viable engine package to push the 4wd truck around
You sure about that? I think you might find that you use less throttle, less fuel and less tire. Could be wrong, and you obviiusly still need a big boy motor, but you dont need more than 2wd

g.out racing

Reaction
These trucks are costing over a half of million dollarrs and these promoters still can’t get a purse as much as a crash in derby at the orange show, This is a hobbie sport that is costing a lot of money and just keep growing which is awesome for those who can afford it, but most I’m expecting are pretty tapped out on the cost of this hobby sport with absolutely no purse money in it. King of the hammers is figuring it out though..

43mod

Reaction
my modified on most asphalt tracks could(did) win with a 400hp engine due to very limited traction.The 550-600 hp guys were just spinning tires. On a hooked up dirt track like Chico I was crying and complaining about only having 680 hp . More traction=more power to the ground.

Nessy

Reaction
You sure about that? I think you might find that you use less throttle, less fuel and less tire. Could be wrong, and you obviiusly still need a big boy motor, but you dont need more than 2wd
Jesse Jones said they are finding out they are slow once you get to 100 mph and above