Material Equivalence

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Does anyone know, or can point me in the direction of a site, or any referance that can tell me that
"X" material is around the same strenght as "Y" material? Basicalhy i want to know the equivalent of 4130 tubing in Dom, stainless, and so on.

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I am not sure if I understand what you are asking but here is what I think you are asking...if you have 1 inch .120 wall 4130...what do I need in DOM to be equivalent stregth. If that is what you are asking then a Q&D calc you can run is take the x-sectional area of the tubing (3.14159(r1^2 - r2^2)) where r1 is the OR and r2 is the IR and multipy it by the yield strength (should be given) of the material. That will give you the normal force required to yield the material. If only tensile strength is given then use that in the calc and you will have the force required to break the material. PM me if you need some help and I will make a spread sheet for you.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Both are exactally what I was looking for. Thank you sirs.

ntsqd

Reaction
"File not found"

Were I to guess, the space in the file name is causing a problem.

I have a spreadsheet along a similar path. The idea was to be able to compare different OD x Wall combos for equivelent bending & torsional strength and less weight in round, square, and rectangular tubing. I've got it 90% done, been halted by the rectangular bending & torsional strengths calcs. Formula looks right, but the numbers are out to lunch. Keep forgetting to bring my ref book home....

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
jsut get the numbers from a material source or supplier and plug them into the spreadsheet. The wall thickness is then calculated for you. 1018 Cold Drawn is not the same as DOM. I didnt have time to find any data on DOM when I did that this morning!!!

Kris

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
eliminating the space on the link does not work either. any other suggestions?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Copy and paste it...it works fine.

Kris

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
sorry about the typos...thats what happens when writing a program too fast at midnight!!!

Kris