Material for Flywheels

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
Can anyone help me out here?

I am currently changing out my existing gearbox and replacing it with a sequential 6 speed transaxle.

I have had the adaptor plate made and in the process of having the flywheel designed. This is nearly complete but what I need to know is what material should I use?

I've done a number of searches and come up with billet, forged, etc, etc, but am becoming increasingly confused. :confused:

I need some simple specifications so I can advise the steel stockist and in turn the designer and machinist.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
You could skip all that and make it out of aluminum, 6061-T6.

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
Thanks for that, however I would also have to use a friction plate using 1050 steel or similar. At present, I want to keep it simple.

Any other input folks?

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
Fidenza use a 1045 billet steel slab and I'm trying to see whether this is available locally, however I am still looking for alternatives.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Thanks for that, however I would also have to use a friction plate using 1050 steel or similar. At present, I want to keep it simple.

Any other input folks?
Well aluminum may be complicated for some, but other folks make them or just buy them ready made, with steel, bronze, carbon, or just about any other friction face. And the face is replaceable.