Material shortages will soon have a greater impact on racing.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
I fight supply chain issues daily in my job. Filters are hard to find for certain applications. A vendor walked in here a bit ago and I told him of a part number I was looking for. He called his store and they said they had 38 on the shelf. I bought all of them and didn't even ask the price.

We are also in the process of upgrading/updating a bunch of our equipment. This projects adds a ton more electronics for automation and my E-tech says many of the things he needs are not available with no delivery date in sight! So we have $1.5 mil equipment sitting around waiting on parts.

Advertising supports this site

Ikaika

RDC Crypto
Airgas is who I use for my welding gas needs. They wouldn’t sell me Tri-mix because even helium is in short supply. What a time to be alive.
Unless you have had a bad experience with Matheson,........I would do my "gas" shopping with Matheson.......the "other guys are "OUT" of my vocabulary.

It has been my experience that Matheson is a minimum of 40% less expensive for my needs.

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
Unless you have had a bad experience with Matheson,........I would do my "gas" shopping with Matheson.......the "other guys are "OUT" of my vocabulary.

It has been my experience that Matheson is a minimum of 40% less expensive for my needs.
They are twice the drive. I only have 5 bottles and they’re never out at the same time. But you’re correct on pricing. I had a Karen moment the other day with the guys at airgas and brought in my receipts from a month ago. They tried to double prices on me for my portable 60cf bottle 75/25. Same price as my 250cf Argon. What a joke.

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
Argon going way up. But, like I said before, you can get any raw material or supply you need, but be ready to pay for it. Which sucks.

—john

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
Airgas is who I use for my welding gas needs. They wouldn’t sell me Tri-mix because even helium is in short supply. What a time to be alive.
I use Airgas also, and two different times the store I used has been out of acetylene and when the truck arrived the welders were lined up around the block and bought everything!

Crusty Shellback

RDC Crypto
Just went thru is type of issue trying to find a BFG 35x12.50r17 KO2 tire to replace a blown out one.

Took a month of me and my tire guy searching all over the country before they finally started showing up.

37's and 33's were in stock, but no 35's.

az_amsoil

RDC Crypto
Neon and Xenon gas shoratages will affect semiconductor in a big way. Xenon is used in transistor process for ion implant. Major supplier of both gases "was" in Mariupol, Ukraine...you can be assured that facility is gone. In an meeting the other day (with a large semiconductor company), it was stated that 30% of the Xenon came from Ukraine. The industry is scambling to find other suppliers as the price is exponentially rising. Get ready to pay way more for all things that have chips.

Also, with Shanghai having been in lockdown for the past month, nothing has been moving out of there.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
I have also been dealing with tire shortages for semi trucks and pick ups. I heard a rumor that tires may be in extremely short supply in the near future. I am stocking up!

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto
Sounds like supply manipulation just like the big lumber mills.

Just about the easiest way to jump on this BS bandwagon of "everything costs more" is to choke your supply and claim shortages of something. Labor, raw materials, transportation.

All BS in my opinion. You can site all the stuff you want or think is happening but why not get double for the exact same product if you can...

Also the earths flat.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto

Just about the easiest way to jump on this BS bandwagon of "everything costs more" is to choke your supply and claim shortages of something. Labor, raw materials, transportation.

All BS in my opinion. You can site all the stuff you want or think is happening but why not get double for the exact same product if you can...

Also the earths flat.
Since y'all are in the biz... was it the mills jacking with the price of lumber the other year? Or was it actually a result of the fires in Canada like the media tried to tell us.

9rocky

RDC Crypto

Also the earths flat.
Little things like the failure of globalization, stupid supply decisions based on greed, wars, etc. put a slight dent in your hypothesis...

B.HAGLE

Solutions
RDC Crypto
Since y'all are in the biz... was it the mills jacking with the price of lumber the other year? Or was it actually a result of the fires in Canada like the media tried to tell us.

The lumber market nationally fluctuates with demand, housing market performance, predictions on demand, weather, geo political happenings. It costs the exact same amount to produce it aside from fuel prices as of late.

I don't really know enough about metal, electronics to comment but with lumber they turn production on and off to suit their needs. Same goes for oil, obviously.

Completely possible in other markets. But absolutely happening in oil/wood.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
The lumber market nationally fluctuates with demand, housing market performance, predictions on demand, weather, geo political happenings. It costs the exact same amount to produce it aside from fuel prices as of late.

I don't really know enough about metal, electronics to comment but with lumber they turn production on and off to suit their needs. Same goes for oil, obviously.

Completely possible in other markets. But absolutely happening in oil/wood.
I understand lumber fluctuates like everything else, but last year we had that massive spike in lumber costs and the media blamed it on Canadian fires.

I firmly believe that at times "shortages" are nothing more than a way big corps can charge more. And then when the "shortage" is over the prices never drop to the original price, but stay slightly elevated. People are happy the price dropped at all and don't mind paying $2 for something that was originally $1.50 because it beats the $4 price it was for a few months.

randy68

#1 Enemy of Google
RDC Crypto

Seven Facts About Oil

1. There is enough recoverable crude oil within the continental US to supply current and projected future demand for 400+ years, and that’s just the oil we know about. It doesn’t account for future discoveries. That’s a fact, jack.
  2. We do not need to import a SINGLE DROP of foreign crude oil. The domestic oil industry can easily meet, and even surpass domestic demand. We’ve done it before, and we can do it again. That’s a fact, jack.
  3. The domestic oil industry currently cannot satisfy domestic demand due to oil drilling restrictions imposed by the federal government. That’s a fact, jack.
  4. The price of EVERYTHING revolves around oil, and the law of supply vs demand dictates the price of oil. When oil is plentiful, commodities are cheap. When oil is scarce, commodities are more expensive. Right now, domestic oil is scarce, and the price of everything is high because of these restrictions imposed by the federal government. That’s a fact, jack.
  5. We import foreign oil from countries that drill and produce it much cheaper than we’re able to because they do not implement all of the environmental safeguards that we do. Their methods are FAR more destructive to the environment than ours are. That’s a fact, jack.
  6. Every year, the federal government leases tracts of land to oil companies so they can explore on it for oil. If enough oil is found during exploration, the company can then apply for a drilling permit which allows them to drill a well. If no oil is found during exploration, or if the amount found is not enough to be profitable the lease expires without ever being drilled on. Leases that are active, but not being drilled on does NOT mean that oil companies are being lazy, or are trying to keep the oil for themselves, etc. etc. It means they’ve either explored the lease for oil and found nothing, or found oil but it’s not enough to justify drilling for. That’s a fact, jack.
  7. It’s not Russia’s fault, or China’s fault, or Ukraine, or India, or Venezuela, or Iran, or Bangledesh, or any other countries’ fault as to why everything is so expensive right now. It’s Joe Biden’s fault, because he is suppressing the domestic oil industry for political gain.

masleca

RDC Crypto
I love #5........truly a Fact
IT sounds real good when our Government tells people how "green" we're being, but NO ONE wants to look deep enough to understand that our Purchasing practices (for Oil) are for more damaging to the environment than just doing the drilling ourselves, under our controls

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I love #5........truly a Fact
IT sounds real good when our Government tells people how "green" we're being, but NO ONE wants to look deep enough to understand that our Purchasing practices (for Oil) are for more damaging to the environment than just doing the drilling ourselves, under our controls
We like money more than the environment, remember?

EDIT: Haha, randy's pissed about that apparently 😂

Last edited:

Tom_Willis

RDC Crypto
I have also been dealing with tire shortages for semi trucks and pick ups. I heard a rumor that tires may be in extremely short supply in the near future. I am stocking up!
You should be the guy to ask. What's the deal with big rig retreads? Are they legit, or an accident waiting to happen? I purchased some 16" retreads for a work truck in 2018 and again in 2019 (because of price). They seemed to be ok, but the truck was sold so I don't know how long those tires lasted on a 7500lb truck.