Material shortages will soon have a greater impact on racing.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto

Seven Facts About Oil

1. There is enough recoverable crude oil within the continental US to supply current and projected future demand for 400+ years, and that’s just the oil we know about. It doesn’t account for future discoveries. That’s a fact, jack.
  2. We do not need to import a SINGLE DROP of foreign crude oil. The domestic oil industry can easily meet, and even surpass domestic demand. We’ve done it before, and we can do it again. That’s a fact, jack.
  3. The domestic oil industry currently cannot satisfy domestic demand due to oil drilling restrictions imposed by the federal government. That’s a fact, jack.
  4. The price of EVERYTHING revolves around oil, and the law of supply vs demand dictates the price of oil. When oil is plentiful, commodities are cheap. When oil is scarce, commodities are more expensive. Right now, domestic oil is scarce, and the price of everything is high because of these restrictions imposed by the federal government. That’s a fact, jack.
  5. We import foreign oil from countries that drill and produce it much cheaper than we’re able to because they do not implement all of the environmental safeguards that we do. Their methods are FAR more destructive to the environment than ours are. That’s a fact, jack.
  6. Every year, the federal government leases tracts of land to oil companies so they can explore on it for oil. If enough oil is found during exploration, the company can then apply for a drilling permit which allows them to drill a well. If no oil is found during exploration, or if the amount found is not enough to be profitable the lease expires without ever being drilled on. Leases that are active, but not being drilled on does NOT mean that oil companies are being lazy, or are trying to keep the oil for themselves, etc. etc. It means they’ve either explored the lease for oil and found nothing, or found oil but it’s not enough to justify drilling for. That’s a fact, jack.
  7. It’s not Russia’s fault, or China’s fault, or Ukraine, or India, or Venezuela, or Iran, or Bangledesh, or any other countries’ fault as to why everything is so expensive right now. It’s Joe Biden’s fault, because he is suppressing the domestic oil industry for political gain.
I've been saying this for years. I have no idea what it would take, but the U.S. needs to "domesticate" oil production. Currently our oil pricing is set on the world market by OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries). We don't have a seat on the board of OPEC. Currently in Saudi Arabia it costs about $6 a barrel to produce crude. Our break even price in the Permian Basin is between $35-$40. In North Dakota it is about $45 a barrel.

If the crude price is around $65 a barrel, the oil companies all make money and gas a the pump will be around $2.50 a gallon. I don't know anyone that minds paying that for gas. OPEC loves to screw with our market.

We are going to see a huge increase in natural gas exports in the coming months because of what is going on in Russia and Ukraine.

Advertising supports this site

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
You should be the guy to ask. What's the deal with big rig retreads? Are they legit, or an accident waiting to happen? I purchased some 16" retreads for a work truck in 2018 and again in 2019 (because of price). They seemed to be ok, but the truck was sold so I don't know how long those tires lasted on a 7500lb truck.
I don't ever purchase retreads. And it is against the law to run retreads on the steer axle. In the northern states where the heat isn't as intense, retreads might work. But in the south and the roads we drive on in the oil field I think they are a waste of money. We buy new tires only.

Most of the tire treads you seen thrown on the highway are retreads. If they are built correctly they may last a long time, but if they don't get them vulcanized together correctly they don't last, and heat plays a factor in this.

Gittere

RDC Crypto
I have also been dealing with tire shortages for semi trucks and pick ups. I heard a rumor that tires may be in extremely short supply in the near future. I am stocking up!
Many rubber trees died from a fungis about a year or so ago so this shortage has been coming for a while and is probably going to get very bad

43mod

RDC Crypto
In the sacramento valkey a truck load of logs is very cheap . My buddy put almost 40 loads in my yard this year . Burn trees must be harvested within 2 years and in stock at the mill to be made into graded lumber . To take any trees they must take them all . Plenty of un gradable logs damn near free .

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
In the sacramento valkey a truck load of logs is very cheap . My buddy put almost 40 loads in my yard this year . Burn trees must be harvested within 2 years and in stock at the mill to be made into graded lumber . To take any trees they must take them all . Plenty of un gradable logs damn near free
Do you have a sawmill?

CodyParkhouse

RDC Crypto
I don't ever purchase retreads. And it is against the law to run retreads on the steer axle. In the northern states where the heat isn't as intense, retreads might work. But in the south and the roads we drive on in the oil field I think they are a waste of money. We buy new tires only.

Most of the tire treads you seen thrown on the highway are retreads. If they are built correctly they may last a long time, but if they don't get them vulcanized together correctly they don't last, and heat plays a factor in this.
There are so many inaccuracies here.

"I don't ever purchase retreads. in the south and the roads we drive on in the oil field I think they are a waste of money. We buy new tires only." Is about the only truth.

"And it is against the law to run retreads on the steer axle" - Only on buses

"In the northern states where the heat isn't as intense, retreads might work" - They work all over the world

"Most of the tire treads you seen thrown on the highway are retreads" - NHTSA did a study, these blown-out tire scraps ratio of retread to new matched the sales ratio

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
There are so many inaccuracies here.

"I don't ever purchase retreads. in the south and the roads we drive on in the oil field I think they are a waste of money. We buy new tires only." Is about the only truth.

"And it is against the law to run retreads on the steer axle" - Only on buses

"In the northern states where the heat isn't as intense, retreads might work" - They work all over the world

"Most of the tire treads you seen thrown on the highway are retreads" - NHTSA did a study, these blown-out tire scraps ratio of retread to new matched the sales ratio
I can tell you by our in house research....retreads are a waste of money on the hot highways and horrible dirt roads we drive on in the oil field. When we stopped buying retreads our tire purchases dropped significantly. We save money and time by purchasing new tires.

I worked in the oil field in North Dakota for two years, the company I was contracted with ran retreads and had pretty good success. The temperature is about the only major difference between the two places. So that is why I make that statement.

As far as the steer axle, I misspoke. I knew it only applied to busses, but when I worked with a company that ran them our policy was to not run them on the steer axle also.

I have been managing a fleet of Western Stars in the oil field for 8 years now. I think we currently have around 250 trucks spread between the yards. We have only had 1 steer tire failure in that time and it was not in the yard I managed. We put thousands of miles on our trucks on rough dirt roads and crappy paved roads and I rarely have a tire blowout or lose a tread on the highway. I know that proper tire pressure is a big reason for this. But purchasing quality tires is also.

CodyParkhouse

RDC Crypto
I can tell you by our in house research....retreads are a waste of money on the hot highways and horrible dirt roads we drive on in the oil field. When we stopped buying retreads our tire purchases dropped significantly. We save money and time by purchasing new tires.

I worked in the oil field in North Dakota for two years, the company I was contracted with ran retreads and had pretty good success. The temperature is about the only major difference between the two places. So that is why I make that statement.

As far as the steer axle, I misspoke. I knew it only applied to busses, but when I worked with a company that ran them our policy was to not run them on the steer axle also.

I have been managing a fleet of Western Stars in the oil field for 8 years now. I think we currently have around 250 trucks spread between the yards. We have only had 1 steer tire failure in that time and it was not in the yard I managed. We put thousands of miles on our trucks on rough dirt roads and crappy paved roads and I rarely have a tire blowout or lose a tread on the highway. I know that proper tire pressure is a big reason for this. But purchasing quality tires is also.
Your first post makes it sound like you are talking about retreads in general, this clarifies it a lot. I obviously didn't know your situation but now I know a little and your last two sentences here are spot on. I will only add that purchasing quality retreads also matters.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
Your first post makes it sound like you are talking about retreads in general, this clarifies it a lot. I obviously didn't know your situation but now I know a little and your last two sentences here are spot on. I will only add that purchasing quality retreads also matters.
I am sure the quality in retreads can greatly vary just like the quality of new tires.

I take steer tire quality so seriously that I don't even patch them if they get a flat. I put new steers on, change both of them as a pair, and move the patched tire to a drive or trailer position. Some people think I am crazy, and some can't afford to do it the way I do. However, I have a good track record and want to keep it that way. My drivers and bosses thank me for the way I handle tires.

I know of a lady that was hit in the windshield by a retread cap off a 16" trailer tire and she was so startled that she drove her car off the road and into a tree. They landed a chopper and flew her to the hospital she was so messed up.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
Back on topic...

I had two Donaldson filter reps in my shop today. I am having a hard time finding all the filters I need. Donaldson is my first choice, Fleetguard is my second. Both companies are struggling right now. Donaldson told me today that it will most likely be January of next year before they are straightened out!

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
Two mills One will do 60” log 40’ long . Kind of a hobby for him so he can get the cistom lumber for crazy houses he build . Fence boards are his cash crop
FENCE BOARDS!!! I have wondered about his since the big Bug Kill die off in '03. Trees were being cut down by the thousands and in SoCal, there were no mills to do anything with them. I actually looked into the costs needed to start a small milling operation just to do fence boards and pallet sized lumber out of all the bug kill. Then found out most places wouldn't permit a mill! Now that the latest die off has actually spread farther than the southern California forests, it should be better as long as the law suits don't tie up cutting for longer than a year. But that is their game plan. Hopefully Newsome will stick to his Emergency Declaration long enough for some work to be done rather than caving into the enviro crowd on this.

Tom_Willis

RDC Crypto
I will only add that purchasing quality retreads also matters.
Why isn't there anybody who wants to retread the thousands of the most popular offroad pickup truck tires like 315/75/16, or 35/12.50/16? Seems like the old ones are available for nothing, and there's plenty of guys who would buy them. A new Raptor spec BFG AT KO2 tire is 62.4lbs, costs north of $300, and is currently backordered. And when it's worn out probably over 90% of the material remains. There's gotta be a profit in obtaining used tires for free and adding about 5lbs of new tread before selling them for 50% of the new retail price.