• Forum membership has its advantages....

Material Source

Jkrell

Where can I find the best price on Oil Lite Bronze in souther Cali (somewhere around azusa if possible). McMaster-Carr wants about $25 for a 6.5 inch piece of it. That seems a little expensive, but then again I have never bought the stuff before. Thanks in advance.
Jon Krellwitz

Dave_G

Re: Where can I find the best price on Oil Lite Bronze in souther Cali

Try Montclair Bronze in Montclair...they can even custom make it to any size you want.

Dave

Jkrell

Montclair bronze wants the same price as McMaster-Carr and I couldn't find the listing for the Rem rack. I guess that is just what this stuff costs. Still seems steep to me.
Jon.

Dave_G

Re: I guess that is just what this stuff costs. Still seems steep to me.

Jon,
If a little bit of bronze has you up tight just be thankful your not Ed Herbst forking out the dough for a couple of six speed trannys. You have it easy my friend, the price for the bronze seems reasonable to me. ;-)

Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."

ntsqd

I just bought a oilite bushing from the supplier formerly known as King Bearing to fix my worn Detroit case halves. 2.125" od x 1.75" id x 1.5" long. Cost: $19.00
If it lives for a couple years the $19 will have saved me $450, if it doesn't it's cost me $600.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Jkrell

RE: If a little bit of bronze has you up tight just be thankful your not Ed Herbst forking out the dough for a couple of six speed trannys.

I am trust me. But the funny thing is a $25 piece of bronze probably represents a larger percentage of my overall race budget than one, two, or even ten six speed trannys to the Herbst boys race program. Anyways, thanks for the advice, i ended up getting it from McMaster-Carr, just wanted to make sure I was getting the best price.

Jon.

ntsqd

In my case I used it to repair where the extremely narrow spigot width of the Detroit Locker's "side gears" ate into the case halves. I had to bore each big, slice off a chunk and press it in, then face it off & bore the bronze to the right diameter.

King Pin trucks use it to spin the knuckle around the king pin. In some cases it is the best choice for a suspension bushing. I've used it in throttle pedal pivots. Most older US vehicle pilot bearings are oilite bronze.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Dave_G

Re: Just out of curiousity, what's bronze used for on a truck?

Jason,
You don't find much oil lite bronze on race vehicles these days. Only where self lubrication is required. I see all too many people install an oil lite bushings into something and grease them. This only clogs up the pores that release the lubricant in the material. Aluminum Bronze is a harder and more durable bearing material than oil lite but requires lubrication like a grease fitting or splash lubrication. Trophy trucks like the Duralast truck use Aluminum Bronze as a rod bearing in the power steering ram and in the upper A-arm pivot block instead of a ball joint... just to name a few.

Best,
Dave

"I know it all, but I can't remember most of it..."