• Forum membership has its advantages....

Matomi and Huatamote Wash report.

rocdog

Trying to get an updated Matomi and Huatamote Wash report?

Going to be in Baja doing some prerunning and want to take Matomi Wash from the start (off Hwy5 just north of Puertecitos) through the narrows all the way to the south tip of Diablo lake bed. From there head north on Diablo lake bed and then cut northeast back through Huatamote to Hwy5.

Wondering if either or both Matomi and Huatamote are passable by 2 wheel drive buggy and truck prerunners? Any accurate info and dates of your passage through these washes would be appreciate.

Thank you

rocdog

Pre running for what race?
Let me be more clear. I used the word "prerunning" loosely for this thread. NO, there is no race we are "prerunning" that is running through these washes. We will be down in Baja "off roading" while also "prerunning" the Baja1000 in Nov. We are going to make it a long trip and get over to Gonzaga Bay and San Felipe as this years course is staying mostly on the Pacific side.

Now, back to the topic. Looking for up to date conditions of Matomi and Huatamote if anyone can input?

Thank you

PaulW

All the washes were passable until I headed north in April. The summer storms cause all the damage, and I have no reports since April. This is because all the snowbirds head north for the summer.
Going up hill in the washes is always harder than going down hill. Especially true for Matomi. That is why SCORE never goes west bound in Matomi. If you have a go-fast 2wd and are a smart driver it should be no problem. If you are a first timer go east in Matomi and keep your speed up. Its really a bitch to bury your rig in Matomi, You have to have a sat phone, sat radio, other sat locator to summon help. Its a hell of a long difficult walk to the highway.