Matomi Wash Bottleneck

wayne matlock

Reaction
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to the cars and trucks that let the UTV's slip by at the start of the bottleneck. It was awesome to see the sportsmanship that most of the drivers/co drivers had by waving us around, and in some cases moving so we could sneak by. Hopefully everyone showed the same respect and moved over when you had to pass some of us back by later on. Awesome race everyone, and hope to see you all at the 500!!!

cwarren

Reaction
Every car and truck in the classes that started ahead of utvs sat and waited their turn to go through. The problem with cars getting stuck happened in a spot only wide enough for a single car regardless of them having four wheel drive or not. Most of the cars waiting never even came close to being stuck. Why did you and the other utvs feel that common courtesy didn’t apply to you? You want to talk about practicing sportsmanship, how about waiting like everyone else did and not ruining other classes races by jumping the line.

Wendell #527

Reaction
I’ve been on both sides of this argument. Around 2004 or 2005 in the Baja 500 close to the start there was a river crossing. A local boys camp was there, pulling cars across one at a time because the cars would all get stuck there trying to get up the river bank. There was a line of 20 cars waiting their turn. I said f*** this, I pulled out of line, went downstream a couple hundred feet and blasted across the river, up the embankment and on my merry way. I thought it was a good move.

Then in a Vegas to Reno race a car had rolled it on a narrow winding mountain section and there was no way around. We had to wait in line. The utvs were narrow enough they idled by about 20 of us and got by. Then the fuckers wouldn’t pull over when we finally got past the rollover and caught up to them. Pissed me off to no end. I wish I had blocked them.

There are 2 viewpoints to this scenario. It is a race and we don’t have to wait in a line, but it sucks to have someone sneak around you especially if they’re not really faster. I don’t know whose side Im on.

cjohnson

Reaction
There are always two sides and then there's the grey area. My brother was kind of questioning himself because he was patient and waited in line and several UTV's he just passed squeezed around him. I prefer to error on the side of being a good sport so I think he did the right thing even though he lost a few positions. I don't think there's anything wrong with finding a new line around a bottle neck but if a person is squeezing their way to the front of the line I'd say that's between them and their conscience.

jon coleman

Reaction
line jumping is a universal taboo, however, off ' road' racing is just that ,off road, if you can make passes because of your perception of the terrain , so be it, now if there are roving secret check points and u get zapped, dont cry, utv making passes in a bottle neck is FINE, just like a utv gets passed in the deep sand wash by big hp class ,oh well,if i was stuck in a b.n. & a utv passed me, i would give big thumbs up & wish i had one.

wayne matlock

Reaction
Every car and truck in the classes that started ahead of utvs sat and waited their turn to go through. The problem with cars getting stuck happened in a spot only wide enough for a single car regardless of them having four wheel drive or not. Most of the cars waiting never even came close to being stuck. Why did you and the other utvs feel that common courtesy didn’t apply to you? You want to talk about practicing sportsmanship, how about waiting like everyone else did and not ruining other classes races by jumping the line.

Not really.......... I have checked out several videos from the race that show trucks and buggies passing each other in the same area. one slows down and another one passes. One gets bogged down in the sand and two go around, so on and so forth.

During prerunning I had walked and practiced multiple lines through the first two problem areas just in case. I had two alternate lines around both of them. I actually used them to go around stuck trucks and pull them out during prerunning. But it was clear in the race and we ended up running right up the middle and helped/pushed a 10 car through with our bumper in the process. Like I said in my first post "most of the teams were awesome" waving us by and let us slip around.

Your team was definitely not one of them, you guys were the one team that threatened to smash us when you passed later in the race. Not sure why you were so upset because I guarantee you would have done the same thing if your 10 car had four wheel drive and was narrow enough to get by. This is a race and our turn started when the green flag drooped. My co driver got out and walked ahead talking to all the cars and they were all cool except for you. We were not trying to piss anyone off just get through a tight section were the UTV's have an advantage. We are not racing your class. So most guys realized that by letting us go by it did not effect them at all. I did not hold anyone up, and in fact speed things along by pushing a car through.

But again, thanks everyone for being cool and letting some of us slip by.

Radiobirdman32

Reaction
Wow, this is a tough one. I see both sides. I guess it depends on if there were stuck cars corking it up or it was just a matter of waiting your turn to go through. I've driven Matomi narrows every different way and it really changes drastically year to year, but the narrows are always just that, the narrows.

Robin Hood

Reaction
At the 500 a UTV came upon us while we were waiting for the course to clear for us to make our run. The UTV tried to go past us and I blocked because the course had just cleared and we were the next up, if the car in front of us made it. I got dirty looks and the BIG HAND gesture flashing 4X4. (as if I didn't know a RZR had 4X4...LOL! The RZR had just gotten there, they had no idea how long I had been waiting, why I was waiting and that the course had just cleared. At that point I was not the one holding up the course and my race shouldn't be delayed because they choose to go around me just as I was about to go. Once the car in font of me didn't make it and blocked the course for me I pulled of off to the side and let the UTV by.

Point being...if you are going to go around other vehicles you need make sure you can make it and exercise some patience. If a car in front wants to block...well IMO that is thier right and you need to find another way around.

wayne matlock

Reaction
At the 500 a UTV came upon us while we were waiting for the course to clear for us to make our run. The UTV tried to go past us and I blocked because the course had just cleared and we were the next up, if the car in front of us made it. I got dirty looks and the BIG HAND gesture flashing 4X4. (as if I didn't know a RZR had 4X4...LOL! The RZR had just gotten there, they had no idea how long I had been waiting, why I was waiting and that the course had just cleared. At that point I was not the one holding up the course and my race shouldn't be delayed becuase they choose to go around me just as I was about to go. Once the car in font of me didn't make it and blocked the course for me I pulled of off to the side and let them by.

Point being...if you are going to go around other vehicles you need make sure you can make it and exercise some patience. If a car in front wants to block...well IMO that is thier right and you need to find another way around.
Yup, you are 100% right!!! That is why I was saying thank you. I know they could have blocked me but they chose to let us go by.

jon coleman

Reaction
one time i let impatient driver go around before up hill one line canyon, few miles later they were flat tire stuckdi k, barley sqeezed by, part of the excitement, box of chocolates, dont know wat u gnna git.

johndjmix

Reaction
We have to remember desert racing isn’t just about how fast you can drive in the dust. Skills, like knowing and finding an alternate line around a stuck vehicle are all part of the race.

Back racing ATV’s back east, when there was a bottleneck it was an opportunity to make some passes! It’s a risk, because Sometimes trying to get around someone gets you stuck!

—John

cjohnson

Reaction
As far as I know everybody went through the bottle neck single file. Even the UTV's so there was no alternate line. Just folks passing the line and merging in.

Last edited:

cwarren

Reaction
Not really.......... I have checked out several videos from the race that show trucks and buggies passing each other in the same area. one slows down and another one passes. One gets bogged down in the sand and two go around, so on and so forth.

During prerunning I had walked and practiced multiple lines through the first two problem areas just in case. I had two alternate lines around both of them. I actually used them to go around stuck trucks and pull them out during prerunning. But it was clear in the race and we ended up running right up the middle and helped/pushed a 10 car through with our bumper in the process. Like I said in my first post "most of the teams were awesome" waving us by and let us slip around.

Your team was definitely not one of them, you guys were the one team that threatened to smash us when you passed later in the race. Not sure why you were so upset because I guarantee you would have done the same thing if your 10 car had four wheel drive and was narrow enough to get by. This is a race and our turn started when the green flag drooped. My co driver got out and walked ahead talking to all the cars and they were all cool except for you. We were not trying to piss anyone off just get through a tight section were the UTV's have an advantage. We are not racing your class. So most guys realized that by letting us go by it did not effect them at all. I did not hold anyone up, and in fact speed things along by pushing a car through.

But again, thanks everyone for being cool and letting some of us slip by.

The videos you saw of people passing each other when they got stuck or bogged down was completely different from what happened with us. I also know for a fact the guys I race with did what they could to try and stop the utvs from cutting in, I witnessed it as well as spoke to them about it. Because a back of the pack spec truck gave you a wave doesn't mean everyone else waiting their turn wanted to let 30 utvs to go by. If it had been anywhere but matomi that had only one single line through I would take no issue with it. If theres other ways around I'm all for people trying them. But to think people waiting in line should let 30+ slower cars go around them and wait for them all to clear is ridiculous. You guys didn't speed anything up, it was more time waiting for you to get through and then passing every car back in the next 30 miles.

jon coleman

Reaction
i was defending others points on alternate lines, but point of one absolute line to pass through is a Whole nuther ball game.wait your turn period or others will get irritated& it leads to conflict.like crossing boarder and starts to narrow down, just cause theres an open line doesnt mean u can take it with out hostile rebuke......

43mod

Reaction
it should be pretty simple. don't pass the guy who is not stuck waiting for his turn to take a run at it. If you can pass the guy who is stuck then get after it. If you can then help him get unstuck your a great guy. I backed over the front end of a UTV a couple of 500s ago to make it clear to him that I was not stuck and he should not steal my spot. My codog was where he should have been at the time,out of the truck helping at the bottleneck .

swiftracing5

Reaction
C7466A5D-8B07-4ECC-92BB-54ABDABF963D.jpeg

wayne matlock

Reaction
The videos you saw of people passing each other when they got stuck or bogged down was completely different from what happened with us. I also know for a fact the guys I race with did what they could to try and stop the utvs from cutting in, I witnessed it as well as spoke to them about it. Because a back of the pack spec truck gave you a wave doesn't mean everyone else waiting their turn wanted to let 30 utvs to go by. If it had been anywhere but matomi that had only one single line through I would take no issue with it. If theres other ways around I'm all for people trying them. But to think people waiting in line should let 30+ slower cars go around them and wait for them all to clear is ridiculous. You guys didn't speed anything up, it was more time waiting for you to get through and then passing every car back in the next 30 miles.

The first guys to wave us by were Buggies, not a TT spec, and not just one, it was several of them. I literally had buggies move out of the way so I could get by.
I'm sorry, but not everyone was on the same page as you, and if someone waves us by I'm definitely going to take the opportunity.
Matomi had two to three lines available for a nimble 4X4 UTV to get by every obstacle. I used all of them during prerunning.

atvrcr88

Reaction
Wayne I guess people forget you have been racing a long time and you are not new to racing in Mexico. Too bad some people dont get it. Its called a race for a reason.

cwarren

Reaction
The first guys to wave us by were Buggies, not a TT spec, and not just one, it was several of them. I literally had buggies move out of the way so I could get by.
I'm sorry, but not everyone was on the same page as you, and if someone waves us by I'm definitely going to take the opportunity.
Matomi had two to three lines available for a nimble 4X4 UTV to get by every obstacle. I used all of them during prerunning.

Yet you went through the only line that was available, as did everyone else, because there was only one during the race. You can take whatever opportunities you want, but when you compromise our race in the process, don’t expect any respect when we catch you back.

cjohnson

Reaction
Where are these extra lines we're missing? We were 1851 UTV.