Matomi Wash Bottleneck

jon coleman

Reaction
off road driving is an art form, just watch 99% of the drivers thru a certain section , then theres that one guy, usually a 1-2 1600 pilot who takes a different line, usually wide open , makes it look smoooth & and Is much quicker too, so dont get too upset when passed in bn.unless the passer gets stuck up ahead, and packs more trash in the hole, then it becomes a clstr fk.man, i miss it....

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Heard from a couple folks who had done their homework that in some spots, the alternative lines they had marked while prerunning Matomi to use to get around potential bottlenecks were stuffed full of non-racers vehicles parked watching the bottleneck. Things might have been much different if routes were clear.

AZ7000'

Reaction
Heard from a couple folks who had done their homework that in some spots, the alternative lines they had marked while prerunning Matomi to use to get around potential bottlenecks were stuffed full of non-racers vehicles parked watching the bottleneck. Things might have been much different if routes were clear.

I was winning huugggeee until I broke...

If you don't factor in spectators when prerunning then you have some learning to do. The UTV's slowed the race cars getting through the bottleneck, then slowed them later in the race when the race cars had to get around them. Thinking the UTV's have a right to get through 4wd sections by cutting the line would also mean that they need to pull over to minimize dust on the fast sections where they cant keep up too. #Amiright?

Speedster

Reaction

If you don't factor in spectators when prerunning then you have some learning to do. The UTV's slowed the race cars getting through the bottleneck, then slowed them later in the race when the race cars had to get around them. Thinking the UTV's have a right to get through 4wd sections by cutting the line would also mean that they need to pull over to minimize dust on the fast sections where they cant keep up too. #Amiright?
#MicDrop

wayne matlock

Reaction

It's not my first rode!!! I can't speak for everyone about the lines, but yes they were there and yes we planed ahead. And when you say "can't keep up" the lead UTV would have got third in class 10, loosing to second by 24 minutes. And that's with half the motor of a 10 car and losing the four wheel drive at mile 90. Do I think we are faster than a fast 10 car, HELL NO!! But the UTV's are getting faster and faster.

Again, I was not trying to ruin anyone's race. I was just going were I could and taking opportunity's that were presented to me. I was not trying to cut in line, my co driver got out and talked with the other cars. Most waved us around and some even moved so we could squeeze by.
All I was trying to do was thank the guys that were waving us around, I thought it was really cool.
But in true RDC form, it turned negative.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
This thread needs WAY more pics and video.

AZ7000'

Reaction
I was not trying to cut in line, my co driver got out and talked with the other cars.

And I told him no, you guys with a few others weaseled by while we were waiting... Hows that for really cool? What would be the definition of "I was not trying to cut in line" if you cut the line in front of those that said no??

I am only stating what happened, I can think it was weak and you can think it was cool. I didn't turn anything negative.

Racing things happen out there and we all get to think of it the way we want. If it was easy everyone would do it!

wayne matlock

Reaction
And I told him no, you guys with a few others

jajaja...... I said "most" waived us by.
I know that not everyone was on the same page. It was a race and we were trying to get to the end faster than the next guy. We do try to make the best decisions possible while racing, some might be better than others.

y2kbaja

Reaction
It's like pulling over because a fire truck is coming up on your six. And as the truck goes by there's always that 1 person in his draft passing everyone.

wayne matlock

Reaction
So wait, you cut off everyone in line to get closer to the narrow spot where only one car at a time can get through? Explain to me why you think your race is more important than everyone else’s race?
Ok, you must have skipped over the part that said MOST of the guys waived us by and some even moved out of the way. How is it cutting everyone off if they way you by??? Granted some did not, but most did.
Bottom line is, if Matomi wash was so tight that everyone had to wait in line, then how in the hell did I get by them? In the narrow spot we drove next to other cars, at the obstacles I was prepare to go full King Of The Hammers and drive through the rocks. But when I got there, there was plenty of space to drive right down the center. It is a RACE, my turn to go started with the green flag dropping!!
Everyone wants something to blame there poor performance on other that there poor performance!!!

9rocky

Reaction
We were always taught that there was "Baja Etiquette". We understand this to be that if there is a bottleneck, you get in line and as it is cleared, the line moves in order. Is this no longer the case?

wayne matlock

Reaction
We were always taught that there was "Baja Etiquette". We understand this to be that if there is a bottleneck, you get in line and as it is cleared, the line moves in order. Is this no longer the case?
If a dirt bike goes around the side and passes cars waiting for a perfectly clear shot is that OK??? Or does the dirt bike need to wait in line?

Last edited:

Catdriver

Reaction
I'm sure that all of you complaining never used a "creative" line back in the days of no VCP's?? I may be wrong....but was that not part of pre-running? That seemed to be ok, or "part of the game" back then? How is this any different?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Wayne and Chase you both have invites to the Fishgistics wrapup show this week. Wayne check your DM on Instagram and Chase check yours in FB. Hope you both can make it!!

9rocky

Reaction
That obviously disappeared when UTVs were invented.

Apparently at this race, there was at least 1 class 10 car that did it as well. The story I was told was that another class 10 pulled out of line and "t-boned" him to try to stop him from going around the line as it started to move, then a 6100 did as well. The 6100 also tried to chase this car down. I was not there, but this is how it was relayed to me.