• Forum membership has its advantages....

Mattney's 4WD 2017 Baja 500 finish...

Chris Tobin

I'm surprised that no one seems to be talking about this, but according to the official results Mattney and the 4WD Geiser finished ahead of Andy by 3 minutes but then received a 6 minute penalty giving him second place behind Andy.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Andy's win at all, but reading the story on the home page it sounds like Andy dominated the day when according to the results on SCORE's site it seems that Mattney was hauling the mail in the 4WD!!!

Congrats to Andy on another Baja 500 win and congrats to Justin on the good finish and almost win with the 4WD than many said would never work!!!

blue dog

Matney started 13th and did not blow a checkpoint.

Chris Tobin

Those are seconds as I read it.
Okay, I stand corrected then... but what the heck can you do to get a 6-second penalty???? #201 got a 3-second penalty...

What are these penalties for and how come they are sooo small???

At any rate, Good job for Matney and the 4WD finishing in a solid second place 3 minutes back!!! And congrats again to Andy for his Baja 500 Win!!!!

Baja Bryan

Matney started 13th and did not blow a checkpoint.
Checkpoint was blown because it was in the wrong spot. We blew it also. The CP was on on our gps's but further down. Andy did a great job not killing anyone. They had it in a blind spot also. I know SCORE is on it so that does not happen again.

bajafox

Accepted
Did anyone get a penalty for blowing a check point? Just curious what the time penalty would be.

Hell of a run for Matney to keep all those parts together at that speed.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Baja Bryan

Did anyone get a penalty for blowing a check point? Just curious what the time penalty would be.

Hell of a run for Matney to keep all those parts together at that speed.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
No... SCORE was aware it was human error on the location they set up. No penalties for those 2 check points.

green787

It was good to see the Matney truck function well mechanically....

Vision Hype

Awesome to see the 4WD up in the front pack. That seems to be the future of TT once they figure all of the gremlins out.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

JaysinDesignz

Aint no Gremlins with 4wd. Ultra4 worked those out years ago.
Its just new to desert racers like high dollar racing was to rock donkeys.

Vision Hype

Front diff gremlins. We figured it out in our Pro 4's as well with the newer diff set ups. But transferring it to the TT application had some R&D for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

johnnyweb

Aint no Gremlins with 4wd. Ultra4 worked those out years ago.
Its just new to desert racers like high dollar racing was to rock donkeys.
Your average Ultra 4 technology or car will not hold up for Baja racing at that level. Matney (Geiser Bros) has done a lot of R&D to make that truck live in a long race or short one for that matter as it only made like 30 miles at Laughlin.

Ultra 4 cars are no match for Matneys truck in Baja!

As Matneys truck is not match for an Ultra 4 car at KOH!

2 different beasts built to do 2 different things.

I love them both but they are different beast.