Max Heim Angles...

ffjerm

Reaction
I've read the spec sheets on FK's web site, and see that the JMX16 is good for 17*. How much usable angle do you get with the high misalignment bushings? I always confuse horizonal / vertical mounting, but I'll be using the heim similar to the attached pic.

Thanks in Advance.....Jeremy

Attachments

• truggy_arms.jpg
    truggy_arms.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,397

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
Don't ever mount them like that the spring is on the lower arm and the weight of the car is on the spindle PULLING the ball out of the outer race. Heim joints don't like that at all.

SteveinAZ

Reaction
The angle allowed varies a bit with different spacers and the inner bolt size. I recall that Kartek had the angles listed of their spacers in the catalog years ago, maybe they have it on their web site???

As far as direction of the heim or uniball, you will see them mounted in both directions on equally successful TT's...the photo you have there I believe is the front John Herder's truggy. The newer Geiser spindles have the uniball mounted inline with the spindle (height-wise), but still run them in the same direction...I would guess it can't be too bad of a situation, some guys seem to be able to drive a Geiser TT fairly quickly.

ffjerm

Reaction
Thanks guys...looks like a 1" hiem with a 5/8 bolt is good for 30*, that's what I was looking for....we could probably argue vertical vs. horizonal mounting till we're blue in the face, I'm sure if I search here I'll find a dead horse on that subject..lol..

Thanks again..........

Pharaoh XJ

Reaction
Is it ok to run heims vertically on spindle for UCA & LCA they are much cheaper then uniballs & offer same misalignment & similar loads ??????????

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Reaction
Don't ever mount them like that the spring is on the lower arm and the weight of the car is on the spindle PULLING the ball out of the outer race. Heim joints don't like that at all.

FYI at the baja 1000 in 1999 the team I was working for was leading class 8 at the time the left lower Heim failed causing the lower A arm to hit the ground. Tearing off the left lower A arm rear pivot mount shoving the A arm right into the oil pan tearing the pan dam near off the motor and removing 2 stages of the dry sump system = DNF that is why you don't mount Heims with the ball loaded with the ENTIRE truck trying to pull the ball out of the socket.