MAX Tire size for a 5 fib bus box and 930CV's on a Pre-Runner

Honda48X

I currently run the Yokohama digger 33 inch tires with a 2180 VW bug engine with a 5 Rib bus box and 930CV's. . I'm moving up to a Honda V-6 and keeping the same bus box and 930CV's. Can I go with a bigger tire size? The nice thing about the Yokohama's is they are light and not really 33's. More like 31's. I'm going to be just pre-running and some fun runs here and there. Knowing me I will want to get on the gas every once in a while. Need your thoughts??? Are 33 inch BFG's to big and weigh to much for my set up?

harleys dad

As long as you dont over travel things I see no reason you cant, conservative on cv angle is the way to go and pre running you will have no issues at all....have fun

^^^ The Yok's are more forgiving, deliver a lot less load to trans.

Fourstroker

Why do you say this. Is the V-6 to much for a five rib bus box?
Yes that’s what he is implying. Way too much power for that trans. Guessing that engine is putting out somewhere near 300 HP. I wouldn’t trust a bus box anywhere north of 200 HP even in a play car. We were blowing them with 140 HP in a race car.

partybarge_pilot

It's not the HP, it's the torque that kills them. That and the extra weight for traction will make it's life a short one. Start looking at an HV1. Or buy Empi CV's to use as fusible links.

And God help you if you need to use reverse to get out of a ditch.

Honda48X

Yes that’s what he is implying. Way too much power for that trans. Guessing that engine is putting out somewhere near 300 HP. I wouldn’t trust a bus box anywhere north of 200 HP even in a play car. We were blowing them with 140 HP in a race car.
So if I stick with the Yokohama 33 inch diggers, then I should be Okay? If I go with a heavier or bigger tire then the problems come into play.......

Fourstroker

So if I stick with the Yokohama 33 inch diggers, then I should be Okay? If I go with a heavier or bigger tire then the problems come into play.......
Nope. Not what I was saying. IMHO You have too much power/torque for that trans regardless of tire size. Plan on rebuilding often and expensive rebuild bills. I wouldn’t put that trans in front of an ecotec and it has 2/3 the power of your V6

Honda48X

Thank you for sharing. I was going to have the engine swapped in July. I'm not very familiar with an engine replacement but I want to put a V-6 into the Pre-runner. Does anyone have a recommendation of a shop that will do this? Trying to keep the cost down but I know there is plenty of work. I would like a Honda V-6 and that would require several other changes. I would need fab work done. New radiator or radiators installed. I would drop off at shop and return when complete.
Engine on buggy.jpg

Honda48X

What's the reason for choosing a v6 over a 4 cylinder?
I'm open to something other then the VW engine. I want something that is reliable. I want to take the wife from San Felipe to say bay of LA and not worry about issues. The current engine does not have enough power and has let me down to many times. I just don't trust it anymore.

Dave In Florida

Ecotec man. Makes plenty of power and torque, but if you drive it right, a bus box will live a long time. The ecotecs are cheap, plentiful, and have a tremendous aftermarket and support community, even in off-road.

The Subie wasn't a great option for me. One, being in Florida, we only see the WRX/STI motors which bring big money. They also require a modded or aftermarket oil pan, and the water inlet/outlet point down, which can be....problematic in an off-road car.

The ecotec FWIW hangs no lower than a bus trans, even without a 10 degree mount.

JWHracing

If you want reliability, then I don't think the V6 is the way to go. Its not that the V6 is unreliable, the transmission behind it becomes the unreliable part if you don't upgrade that to match. You don't want to be in the middle of no where and find yourself in a bad spot where you have to use the motor's power to get you out, and then break the transaxle in the process.

My car has a 2180 with a single weber and I feel like it has plenty of power for what I expect it to do. I would say my car weighs at least 2500 lbs as it still has most of the pan and a lot of tubing.

Maybe your vw motor just needs to be freshened up and a little bit of love. My motor has been in my car for 3.5 years now without any major issues. It has never failed me once.

Honda48X

If you want reliability, then I don't think the V6 is the way to go. Its not that the V6 is unreliable, the transmission behind it becomes the unreliable part if you don't upgrade that to match. You don't want to be in the middle of no where and find yourself in a bad spot where you have to use the motor's power to get you out, and then break the transaxle in the process.

My car has a 2180 with a single weber and I feel like it has plenty of power for what I expect it to do. I would say my car weighs at least 2500 lbs as it still has most of the pan and a lot of tubing.

Maybe your vw motor just needs to be freshened up and a little bit of love. My motor has been in my car for 3.5 years now without any major issues. It has never failed me once.
Thank you for the advice. It sounds like you have the same motor as I currently do. I called Danny Foddrill today and he said the same thing. He said I really need to upgrade the Trans if I go with a V-6.

partybarge_pilot

Ecotec FTW.

My buddy has one in his Baja. Blew reverse out of the trans the first trip to Baja backing it off the trailer LOL. Trans wasn't new at that point, he had it rebuilt and it has been fine since.