• Forum membership has its advantages....

TurboLab

Trying get data on operating temperatures on everyone’s transmissions. Please let me know weight of vehicle , type of transmission, manual or sequential, ambient temp, if you have an oil cooler, what type of cooler, and size. Been searching a bunch and feel like there is a real lack of credible info. Thanks for your efforts!!! I’m also intere

burninfuel

just did 6 speed auto dodge 6.7 diesel, towing on 298K miles trans got to first summit at 255f and a week later in traffic with weekend warrior and not moving or slow got to 279f.
Had trans replaced and turned by Jasper and dyno tuned and now 170f with trailer and at speed. Fluid was burnt in old trans

Dave Cole 4454

At 230 sustained, im concerned, over 240 im driving the gauges.

Normally operates at or lower than engine temp. If its cool outside I need to turn fans off to keep it at 160.

Thats pan temp. We measure pump temp at over 300.

This is on a Reid Case built TH400

JP_JCM

Depends upon where you take the temp from. On the in(pan side) you can run 300 all day long with good fluids. Now the Converter temp should never go over 400 or you risk going up in flames. So many people get scared of trans temps. A really good fluid such as an Amsoil super shift racing atf(recommended by coan) can handle 400 degrees without an issue for an extended amount of time without breaking down. It is the seal around the converter snout/input shaft that will fail.

MTPyle

Dave

I am with you. If I see 230 I am taking it serious. 240 I am backing off but that has not happened except when we hooked the trans filter up backwards and deadheaded the cooler Lines.

I had another 6100 team tell me they run 250 pan temps normally. I was like WTH.

Our trans temps are not usually our issue. Water temps get high first but stay under 240. Nice thing about spec motors haha.

Mike

JP_JCM

Dave

I am with you. If I see 230 I am taking it serious. 240 I am backing off but that has not happened except when we hooked the trans filter up backwards and deadheaded the cooler Lines.

I had another 6100 team tell me they run 250 pan temps normally. I was like WTH.

Our trans temps are not usually our issue. Water temps get high first but stay under 240. Nice thing about spec motors haha.

Mike
with todays trans components, they will live at 300* plus all day long. It is odd for you to be experiencing water temp issues with the spec 490hp engine. my guess is one of 4 things, 1. line size 2. radiator core design for the location it is in creating alot of static pressure 3. thermostat or restrictor plate sizing 4. water pump pulley size/ pump design not creating enough block pressure.

MTPyle

JP,

We just moved our radiator out of the air flow and down behind the cab almost flat. We do not have a thermostat. So it's only really getting fan air flow.

We did have issues when we first moved it as the trans coolers were pushing hot air right into the radiator intake. We changed that and then the temps were fine. We got 240 while in a very long full power pull at Vegas to Reno which was very hot and high so the density altitude was very high. I don't think our set up would work for a 800hp motor but works for the stock LS3. We had an air scope built and ready to add in the pits if the temps got too high at V2R but they never got out of control. Low 240's is well below the IBP of 50/50 under pressure.

We picked up a few miles an hour on top speed after the radiator position change so it was worth it. Oil temps are never high. I think our new set up will work much better overall.

Mike