Max. turning angle or amount wheels should turn at full crank?

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Is there a maximum useable angle that a wheel should turn at full crank?

Like an angle that even if you can turn the wheels further than that the front end will either start pushing so severely it's not worth it or something like that?

I'm building a new buggy and I didn't put enough consideration into the steering system on the last buggy and I want to make sure I don't repeat the problem with this buggy.

Thanks!

Triaged

Reaction
Once you try to get more than 45deg of steering angle you really need to keep an eye on your linkage angles. Ackermann comes into play as well. When you graph everything out you will see where everything starts to "go to hell". You will need to figure that out and what you need to do to move "hell" outside your range of steering. You also need to look into where your steering stops are at and bump steer in turn (and maybe a few other things I missed). What are your turning radius requirements?

atomicjoe23

Reaction
It's an SAE buggy for the Washington event. . .so a 4 hr. endurance event that's like a desert race scaled down to match the buggy's size, a maneuverability event (off-road autocross), and a rock crawl that even with turning brakes you need to have reverse for as last year proved to everyone!

So I need a pretty tight turning radius especially since we don't have massive amounts of engine power to steer with.

I know the SAE buggy's aren't the most exciting thing in the world, but it's what I'm practicing on for now so that I can learn all the vehicle design fundamentals and the funding isn't coming out of my pocket so learning from my mistakes isn't quite as painful as if I was paying to learn from those mistakes.

I always appreciate the advice and info that you (and the other really knowledgeable guys) on this forum share with me and the other newcomers to the sport and fabrication!