May 23rd MORE 500

mrmatt

Reaction
Here is the info for schedule of events from the more site!

Schedule of Events

Friday May 22th

Tech and Contingency
5 PM till 9 Pm
High School Rabbit Springs Rd

Saturday May 23rd

Drivers Meeting 1 PM
Race Starts 2 PM
Total Time Limit 12 hours
Must have time to complete final lap to go out on your last Lap.

Classes 1, 10, 12, 5, 1600,----7 laps
Classes 1400, 3000, 1350, 9, 5/16,---6 laps
Classes 1700, 7s, 8, 1450, 1300,---5 laps
Classes 11, 300.---4 laps

Sunday May 24th

Awards 10 AM Start Line

Times and Laps were figure by the Jan and Feb race and request of the racers.
giti Saturday, April 18, 2009 12:33 PM
Host: netblock-208-127-25-207.dslextreme.com
are you still planning on letting the slower cars go first ?
what would the class order be?
thanks
Jim Saturday, April 18, 2009 02:30 PM
Host: dialup-4.245.103.122.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net
Yes! working on that now.

28 swingers are entered as of today!!! This is going to be great. The limited cars are supposed to be starting ahead of the unlimiteds also!

racer951

Reaction
There is great logic behind the idea but I don't think Jim has explained it well enough to avoid confusion.

My interpretation of Jim's decision means the first class 1 will leave 45 minutes after the LAST of the slow cars. A lot of people think it's 45 minutes total but if that were the case it would in fact be more dangerous. The 45 minutes would allow the slower cars to spread themselves out before the big boys come calling.

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
There is great logic behind the idea but I don't think Jim has explained it well enough to avoid confusion.

My interpretation of Jim's decision means the first class 1 will leave 45 minutes after the LAST of the slow cars. A lot of people think it's 45 minutes total but if that were the case it would in fact be more dangerous. The 45 minutes would allow the slower cars to spread themselves out before the big boys come calling.
I see now.. if we started in normal order the 1 cars could actually catch at end of their first lap and hit our start traffic on the fast lake beds in the first 15-20 miles and we could have some serious speed passing issues. this way they wont catch up to until we are hitting the halfway point of our lap 1 past the lake beds.. I think?:confused:

Johnson954

Reaction
I think it is a great idea. Depending on what order we start, there should be a lot more than 45 minutes between when the last 9 car leaves the line, and the first class 1, because you have to account for the starting of the slower classes behind us, then +45 minutes. This should hopefully put us starting lap 2 before we start to get caught, being that the fast cars have to make the lap also, dealing with the slow traffic behind us. There are other reasons this is a good idea, I believe, and that is there will be a lot of attrition the first lap, and that will allow us less fast cars to deal with, and hopefully we won't have to deal with "slow" fast cars. I just feel bad for the class 11 guys....I just hope the fast cars handle the slow traffic professionally, and keep their cool, being they are going to be all amped up on lap 1.

ACME

Reaction
IMO this is the stupidest thing ever! Having driven a "faster class car" I'd rather know I have a full lap of clear course with only cars in the upper classes to deal with and to sort out, then when you hit traffic on lap 2. That way you know what to expect, now they'll be catching dust thinking it's a faster car only to stack it up into a limited car in the first 20 miles (but then I can't even get my cars to go that far so why should I care, BEAT YOU TO IT BOYS!). The first Ult car will have an advantage as he knows who he's catching, the 5-7th guy off the line will be playing catch up hoping it's not a ltd car whose dust he's plownig through... Again my opinion, feel free to light me up.

racer951

Reaction
Which is why a blue light for cars under 1-2-1600 should be required. Jim could also require some sort of sweeper or checkpoint system to make sure the course is clear up to a certain point before the class 1's start.

I don't know that your other point is valid. Sure you normally get 1 lap of "clean racing" but then every other lap you could be coming up on a slow car and not know it; it's part of racing. Hopefully there won't be limping cars on lap 1 but you never know; I don't think it gives a 1 car or anyone else an excuse to drive into dust assuming its only another 1 car just because its the first lap.

ACME

Reaction
Knowing most mortals experience adrenaline at the start of an event of this nature and the object of a race is to get to the front as quickly as possible, though inthis case patience is a virtue, I believe the drivers will be more likely to have an issue while driving into the slower cars than they would if they were more spread out by having a lap of clean course before encountering the limited cars. I believe knowing that you will not have an issue with the slower class cars would allow them to settle into a pace prior to running into traffic. I can tell you personally; when I see dust, I want to know what it is and in this case I believe more issues are being created than solved. In a normal race when the first ult car leaves the line he expects the course clear in front of him and he knows the first lap is safe and traffic free. Now he doesn't know what's ahead and with the approach speeds of the faster classes it's scary when you come up on a slow car... Just my .02

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
I see now.. if we started in normal order the 1 cars could actually catch at end of their first lap and hit our start traffic on the fast lake beds in the first 15-20 miles and we could have some serious speed passing issues. this way they wont catch up to until we are hitting the halfway point of our lap 1 past the lake beds.. I think?:confused:
I would prefer to just start the race like any other.

9rocky

Reaction
As a driver of a class 1 car, and the father of a recent class 9 driver, and a friend to a bunch of current class 9 drivers, I think this is a mis-guided idea. I think the blue light is a great idea, but to put the slower classes out in front of possibly 20 class 1's on their first lap could lead to un safe conditions. Not only will the adrenaline be flowing in everyone, but the slower classes will be wondering how long until these guys are coming up behind me as well as trying to race their own class. My opinion is that this race should start in the morning with the normal starting order. I will never understand why Jim is always tring to make the wheel rounder.

ffrank

Reaction
I guess Im alittle confused, imagine that... I was under the assumption that there would be a 45 min span from the time the 9s left to the time the first 1s leave. That would put them 3/4 way around the track before the first big car left. Most races the slower classes are leaving just before the big cars finish their first lap and are starting their second. I see it as safer? their will be more time before the 9s are caught. The 9s shouldnt be caught until 1/2 through their 2nd lap. Or again am I confused...? It has happened, once.

Johnson954

Reaction
If nothing else, I think it will allow the field to be spread out so that it will be easier to pass the limited cars, rather than them being all bunched up off the starting line, and there will be less of them too, do to attrition. I too, think we will be well into our second lap before any unlimited car catches us. If he holds the unlimited starting for 45" past the last car leaving the line(in class 11), then that should give the unlimiteds a clean lap to run on for most of the lap, other than the cars that are having issues...because they still have to do the lap. If the course is fast, like Jim said, then I think this starting proceedure is a must, otherwise the fast cars will be running into major road blocks with all the limited cars that have just started. I think Jim is doing what he thinks is in the best interest of all the racers. And I applaud him for making things interesting with the limited assets he has to work with.

9rocky

Reaction
I guess Im alittle confused, imagine that... I was under the assumption that there would be a 45 min span from the time the 9s left to the time the first 1s leave. That would put them 3/4 way around the track before the first big car left. Most races the slower classes are leaving just before the big cars finish their first lap and are starting their second. I see it as safer? their will be more time before the 9s are caught. The 9s shouldnt be caught until 1/2 through their 2nd lap. Or again am I confused...? It has happened, once.
What it means is one more occasion where the class 1 cars and the slower classes (not just the 9 cars) will be in the same vicinity on the course at the same time than there is if the classes started in the normal order. This could lead to something happening.

ACME

Reaction
As an avid MORE supporter I think this is a mistake. I don't know how many of you have ridden in anything but a 9 but I rode in my wifes 11 for 2 seasons and have raced a 10 car for 3 years and I doubt the 11's will be anywhere near finished and I'm guessing my sorry little 10 could catch the 11's and maybe a few other stragglers prior to the end of their first lap even with a 45 min head start... Having driven 9's for years, having run a lot of the course we're running and having watched almost every car entered I'd be nervous if I was driving first and if I was in a 1 car I'd be scared... Now if we had power steering, 16" aluminum wheels, and IRS it'd be another story ;)...

mrmatt

Reaction
... Now if we had power steering, 16" aluminum wheels, and IRS it'd be another story ;)

Nice!;)

Also, Kartek has added $250 more for class 9 in contigency.

doug969

Reaction
As an avid MORE supporter I think this is a mistake. I don't know how many of you have ridden in anything but a 9 but I rode in my wifes 11 for 2 seasons and have raced a 10 car for 3 years and I doubt the 11's will be anywhere near finished and I'm guessing my sorry little 10 could catch the 11's and maybe a few other stragglers prior to the end of their first lap even with a 45 min head start... Having driven 9's for years, having run a lot of the course we're running and having watched almost every car entered I'd be nervous if I was driving first and if I was in a 1 car I'd be scared... Now if we had power steering, 16" aluminum wheels, and IRS it'd be another story ;)...
Can I vote for a plenum motor?

I agree with you guys n this one. My mom, dad, and wife plan on racing my 9 car and if this goes down they will have a blue HID backwards on the car so they don't get hit. I have rode in a 11 and own one and with the start like this they better be on their toes even more then the norm.

ACME

Reaction
I agree with you guys n this one. My mom, dad, and wife plan on racing my 9 car and if this goes down they will have a blue HID backwards on the car so they don't get hit.
With pops driving the 1 cars better watch out! I thought you hated the idea of the amber being an HID :)

Fourstroker

Reaction
With pops driving the 1 cars better watch out! I thought you hated the idea of the amber being an HID :)
I'm game for it now. Sing me up lol
Does this mean you are driving your 12 or are you Crew Chief for the day? I am guessing the latter. Good luck to you guys

Oh and I agree with you guys on keeping the normal starting order.