• Forum membership has its advantages....

McKenzie's 250 RV camping spots

Kfalcon

1. First time for us at this race or Lucerne Valley. Is it open camping? If so, any suggestions for where to camp?I will be bringing the Jeep so I can access any part of the track, any suggestions on a good spot to watch the race? Thanks!

dezert_nerd

Take camp rock RD from Lucerne, head north towards Anderson Dry Lake, pick a spot on the lakebed. I would pick a spot near the access roads as the course will run through the middle of the lakebed. you can also take Bessemer Mine RD and go to soggy dry lake.

Heres the map for reference.
http://moreracing.net/images/maps/BIGMAP.pdf

Slippery P

RM-11 is a good streight section full of bumps, they will be coming up hill at you off the dry lake bed, there is a big rock pile you can spectate from the top of we set easy ups up there last time. Have fun and please stay away from the race course.

Shoyrtt

Thank you! Rm 29-30 was recommended for a good section to spectate?
I don't believe 29-30 is a good spot. From 29 to the hard left turn is a high speed section, but nothing stands out for spectating there.
I have seen a lot of people there just to watch the race camp at the powerline road at RM 35. The cars and trucks come down the hill fast (32-35) and the kicker about 1/8 of a mile North of the road crossing can be interesting. After the road crossing, there tends to be some passing just before the little hill that needs to be climbed. You can also easily take the powerline road over to RM 27.5 and see the action there.

Kfalcon

Thank you very much for all the info. I will be in a 4x4 jeep and will feel comfortable going anywhere. I will check those spots out for sure! Are there any hard to reach areas you can think of that make for good spectating?

Thanks again!

Kfalcon

Jason thanks and you hit on something, staying away from the course. I am always very careful of that. I know that there is a minimum distance and as long as you are at least that far, the race promoter can really say nothing... BUT! I saw some spectators at the Motion Tire race that were parked the minimum from the course but literally at the fast part of the turn, You know where you are on the brakes hard from a big straight and if you were to lose your brakes you would go straight? Yeah there... I mentioned to them that a brake failure might be dangerous for them and for the race driver, it fell on deaf ears.

I will continue to respect the course, the drivers and the what could happens.

Shoyrtt

Thank you very much for all the info. I will be in a 4x4 jeep and will feel comfortable going anywhere. I will check those spots out for sure! Are there any hard to reach areas you can think of that make for good spectating?

Thanks again!
The only "hard to reach" areas would be the trails near Soggy Dry Lake (RM 9). Challenging rock crawling trails, but probably not the best for spectating the race. Here is a link to a story about the trails in question (with pictures): 2 New Johnson Valley Trails! Crowbar and Shaft Canyon - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Another area that you might want to try is the sand wash between RM 22-24. There is a bluff that overlooks the course that is probably not too difficult reach in a Jeep that will be good for spectating.