McNeil beams

In_the_works

Reaction
Anyone have any experience with McNeil's 4x4 F-150 beams? I've bee trying to contact them for a while (phone, email), with no luck. I'm just trying to get some info on 'em. Anyone know price? how much wider per side they are? Can they be used with coils, or do they require coilovers? Advice on whether it make much difference if I go with heimed, or keep the bushing type. FYI It's a mostly street driven truck, and eventually I want to pull between 16 and 18" of travel.

thanks everybody.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

boltonbros

Reaction
try calling (chad) at mcniel racing in the evening. He has his shop in mexico so his phone dont get service.

Hang Loose

boltonbros

Reaction
try calling chad at mcniel racing in the evening. He has his shop in mexico so his phone dont get service.

Hang Loose

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
McNeil makes some good stuff but all the extended beams I have seen come out of his shop look like Poop, and there is no way with out coilovers that you will pull 15" of travel, Camburg,Donahoe,Baja Shop just to name a few do a way better job on extending I beams, I know on Camburgs Explorer with extended beams 4.5"per side with longer axels and coilovers gets 21" of travel!! so if I was you I would calll another shop.....Mike

<font color=red>The dump you take is the gold I make so I can afford to play and race!</font color=red>

beamdream

Reaction
Here's my two cents. Perry McNeil runs the same beams on his 7 open (king pin) and 7s that he builds for his customers. He hasnt touched or replaced anything on his race truck relating to I-beam or radius arm in nearly 15 races. He even won his class (7 open) in the 1000k last year. Thats gotta say something. I havent touched my beams (on my Tacoma) since I got the truck back and I've given it quite a beating! I say for the price, its one hell of a deal.

C-$

jarreptolson

Reaction
Beamdream, your beams are 2x4 and his question is about 4x4. I have been saving for a long time just dreaming about camburgs 4x4 extended beams, they are worth the wait. I have seen a few of McNeils 4x4 front ends up close and haven't been fully satisfied with the quality of thier work. I spend a lot of time when making decisions about my truck and sometimes the right decision hasnt been the cheapest.

slimjim

Reaction
i have a dana 28 front end that perry did a long time ago. i like it alot. the 4x4 still works great, and i get good suspension travel. i have an adjustable coil bucket, and two bilstein 7100 shocks per wheel - so the coilover is up to you. you can do without it. the obvious difference in the kits (between different manufacturers) is the price. i can't say for sure because the price has increased a little over the years, but i think perry still does the beams, axles, radius arms, mounts and bushings for less than $1000. you can get the adjustable buckets for about $300-$400/pr, then add some 2.5 shocks, limit straps, bumpstops, and brake-lines down the radius arms. you can probably get the whole thing done for $2500 depending on shocks and bumpstops. you can't beat the price that perry offers. i have had my ranger for almost 8 years, no problems with any of the fab work. if you want to get together with perry i could probably get in touch with him and get him to call you.

put on your seatbelt...

In_the_works

Reaction
Mike, I wasn't even hoping to get 15" out of my coils, that was what i wanted to get eventually when I go coilover. I was however hoping to be able to use my coils temporarily with the beams, so I didn't have to add the expense of coilovers to the mix just yet. Can anyone give me an estimate on what the Camburg beams cost? Are there any reputable independent shops that will cut and extend my stock beams, or do I just have to bite the bullet and spend a grand on some already built ones. BTW thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

In_the_works

Reaction
thanks Jim, I left a message at Chad McNeil's shop, but I'd like to talk to Perry too, I'm assuming that they both make similar parts. I'll Pm you with my #.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

beamdream

Reaction
My fault. I was paying attention to the fact that this was 4x4. Good luck with your decision though.

C-$

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
look perry beams work great but they just dont look nice and you get what you pay for I think Camburgs extended beams go for around $2000 extended,hard faced and trussed but Jerry would have the final say on the price...Mike here is a pic, kinda a bad shot but its all I have!

<font color=red>The dump you take is the gold I make so I can afford to play and race!</font color=red>

In_the_works

Reaction
Dammit, those things look bomb-proof. I think I've seen their explorer beams and they look vey well made, but $2G's is a little more than twice what I'm looking to spend, not that they're not worth it. The reason Perry/Chad's were so appealing was the price, and if I have to do a little plating/gusseting myself, it's not that big of a deal.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

AZmiik

Reaction
I was just wondering what exactly is hard faced on those beams. And what the reason is behind it.

Mike

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
the beams were hard faced on the front where they were extended then hard faced over the top where the stock coil bolt was located the shock mounts were hard faced too and then the whole front of the beam was trussed up and over the diff. Hard facing puts material (flat plate chromoly or steel)to the part to add strenght like where the beams were cut and extended or any other spot where the part might want to bent or break. look at the pic the hard facing is the 2 pointed pieces of metal that over lap starting at the billet end and going upwards towards the heim I know is hard to see because of the powdercoating...Mike

JBO

Reaction
another pic of a D35 from camburg site

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.camburg.com/old/images/4x4rangerbeam.jpg>http://www.camburg.com/old/images/4x4rangerbeam.jpg</A>

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
If you are looking at building a truck on a budget. Just Buy the cut and turned I beams, Heim Joint radius arms, custom coil-buckets, and a pair of SAW 2.5" shocks. This will get you started with a great bolt on kit. Then when you get more money extend the beams.

Don't forget when you extend the beams you need new axles. They cost $1000-$1900 depending on how you do them. The extendend 4x4 Beams are $1800 and the axles that give you 21" of travel are $1900. That is not cheap but it is bad ass! You do get what you pay for. What sounds cheap is just that CHEAP!

boltonbros

Reaction
when the beams are extended where exactly are they cut? and would it be worth it to build up my dana 28 if that is all i have or should i wait till i get a dana 35 witch might be a while?

Hang Loose

JBO

Reaction
get the 35!
pull one of a junked ranger or something, and get the housing modified...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.therangerstation.com/D35vsD44.html>http://www.therangerstation.com/D35vsD44.html</A>

wait...I forgot you are talking about an F-150, right? none of those should have a D28, you should already have a D44 TTB, right?

Jaron

AZmiik

Reaction
Ok that makes more sense. When I hear hard facing I think of using a stick electrode or flux core wire and laying down a dirt pattern or buildup pad that has a hard surface. To me it just sounds like a normal plating operation.

Mike